Here is the email that I just sent to Otterbox:
    "I honestly find it very insulting and disappointing that Otterbox does not offer any variety for BlackBerry smartphones. The Z10 which was released recently has the Defender in black. The HTC One which has not yet been released already has many color options as well as the Realtree camo (which I personally would buy for my Z10). I'm sure the same thing will happen with the Samsung GSIV...which also has not been released. I was expecting more from Otterbox in regards with the new BB10 smartphones and I was expecting more of a variety. Instead, we get just the Defender, just in black. Myself along with many BlackBerry users are also disappointed. Due to the lack of variety, I will opt to not purchase Otterbox cases for those reasons. I would also like to see the Armor Series come to the Z10, which I would also consider purchasing. I would love to see the day that Otterbox creates more options for the new line of BB10 smartphones. But until that day comes, I will eagerly wait, Otterboxless."

I am not asking anyone else to take my standpoint here nor am I asking anyone to not buy Otterbox like I am. I just wanted to share my opinions towards the matter and I just feel duped in a way since there are no options for BlackBerry smartphones. I don't feel that Otterbox has recently paid any attention to BlackBerry and I would like that to change.
    tatail, sugbo, tryfe and 1 others like this.
    04-01-13 03:06 PM
    It's not only Otterbox. Urban Armor Gear makes some sweet cases for the IPhone and the Samsung Galaxy phones, and in similar fashion they have cases for the S4, as well as the HTC ONE which aren't out yet, but nothing for the Z10.
    04-01-13 03:46 PM
    It's not only Otterbox. Urban Armor Gear makes some sweet cases for the IPhone and the Samsung Galaxy phones, and in similar fashion they have cases for the S4, as well as the HTC ONE which aren't out yet, but nothing for the Z10.
    Correct. It's not just Otterbox. Speck, too along with many others.
    04-01-13 03:55 PM
    Not only do they offer a subpar amount of cases, but the current offering from otterbox impedes the usage of the phone, plus the holster, which has the magnet for holstered mode, is manufactured incorrectly. the magnet is on the wrong side of the device and as such doesn't trigger holstered mode like it is supposed to, it DOES trigger it, if you place the device upside down, with the screen facing out. meaning they need the magnet to be on the left(when facing the holster) not the right to trigger holstered mode. i've been in contact with them and they said that the holster isn't supposed to trigger holstered mode and that you are supposed to lock the device. they outright lied to us as opposed to fixing the issue and sending us a proper replacement .
    04-01-13 04:07 PM
    Not only do they offer a subpar amount of cases, but the current offering from otterbox impedes the usage of the phone, plus the holster, which has the magnet for holstered mode, is manufactured incorrectly. the magnet is on the wrong side of the device and as such doesn't trigger holstered mode like it is supposed to, it DOES trigger it, if you place the device upside down, with the screen facing out. meaning they need the magnet to be on the left(when facing the holster) not the right to trigger holstered mode. i've been in contact with them and they said that the holster isn't supposed to trigger holstered mode and that you are supposed to lock the device. they outright lied to us as opposed to fixing the issue and sending us a proper replacement .
    Yes. My friend who has the case says the same thing. Plus from what I hear, the design is poor and somewhat restricts the swiping. It should have been designed more like the PlayBook Otterbox Defender
    04-01-13 04:18 PM
    I will keep you all posted when a response arrives
    04-01-13 04:18 PM
    Yeah. This isn't cool. So much so as either BlackBerry will win my business or even Poetic. Maybe incipio but I'll have to see one of those in person. Good for you.
    04-01-13 04:35 PM
    I emailed them about lack of variety for my BlackBerry 9000,9860 and my 9900 and the reply was always we are working on new designs and appreciate your feedback, but still no variety that is the reason I do not purchase Otter box

Posted via CB10
    ajst222 likes this.
    04-01-13 04:39 PM
    Still no response haha I am interested in what they have to say
    04-01-13 07:04 PM
    Well unfortunately in our case, pun intended, they will sale probably 20 times more of the Samsung and iphone cases versus the z10 model.

They are just practicing smart business, and I don't take it personally. I wouldn't sink a ton of manufacturing costs in a yet to be proven product either.

Only time will show whether to new BlackBerry will be right back up there where it was before. Until then polite letters to developers and accessory manufacturers helps show support.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 07:11 PM
    I emailed them 3 weeks ago asking if they had any plans to release a commuter or any other case for the Z10 and have not received a response at all. 3 weeks!

The incipio dual pro is very similar to the commuter, the biggest difference is the dual pro does not have the rubber port covers.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 07:19 PM
    ive rocked an otterbox commuter last 3 bolds. Im now waiting for my incipio dual pro case, which is basically the same thing. Support the companies who are pushing out products and forget the rest. Only thing this case doesnt have, which otterbox always did was coverings for the usb port. Which kindoff sucks cause im always around lots of dust
    04-01-13 07:19 PM
    Ive used the otterbox on my last 3 BlackBerry devices. I read all the bad reviews of the Z10 case, and have just ordered the SEIDO ACTIVE case/holster. Until Otterbox makes an Armor or other case for the Z10 i refuse to give them my money!
    04-01-13 07:49 PM
    I grabbed a Ballistic case from the CrackBerry store, and imo it is far superior to the Otterbox....just tossing an alternative to ya
    04-01-13 10:05 PM
    don't blame them, blame blackberry. Who needs colors.. When your slogan is Blackberries are TOOLS, not TOYS!
    04-01-13 10:38 PM
    I talk to case makers all the time and the problem is, It's hard for them to make.pt of variations for a new device (unless it is Apple) because they don't know what type will sell or what phones will be popular. It's a gamble, in other words, and case makers don't want to be stuck with inventory they can't move.

From what one major case company has told me (and this is a major one, one that is one of the most well-known), they can only reliably sell cases for Apple gear.

This company did decide to diversify this year a make more Samsung cases - mostly so they aren't feeling totally reliant on one company -- and they make generic silicon covers -- but they don't even bother making tablet cases or laptop cases for non-Apple products because when they do, they never sell enough to make it worth it.

At least Otterbox has a case!!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
    04-01-13 10:49 PM
    Yeah I feel the same way. Also I wouldn't want to use the defender because of how bad it is for the gestures.

I just ordered a dual pro from shopcrackberry and was thinking about the ballistic.

Posted via CB10 - FINALLY
    04-01-13 11:45 PM
    I didn't buy the otterbox specifically because of it impeding swiping up, I bought the Incipico with the silicon liner instead and I love it. All the buttons are easy to push, ports easy to access and the phone feels protected without being bulky or impeding the bezel. Also there are quite a few color and style options and so Incipico will be getting more of my monies.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 12:23 AM
    I grabbed a Ballistic case from the CrackBerry store, and imo it is far superior to the Otterbox....just tossing an alternative to ya
    I had a Ballistic SG on my Bold 9930. It was a great case. I loved it!

don't blame them, blame blackberry. Who needs colors.. When your slogan is Blackberries are TOOLS, not TOYS!
    That was the "Be Bold" campaign which is long gone. So BlackBerry is not to blame for the lack of case variety...
    04-02-13 05:53 AM
    Due to the lack of variety, I will opt to not purchase Otterbox cases for those reasons.
    Why would they reply when you clearly stated you won't be buying anyway? I'm sure they'd rather hear that users are chomping at the bit to purchase their products.
    04-02-13 06:27 AM
    The defender case really isn't that bad for swiping. I use mine all week, i take it off on the weekend.

Posted via CB10 from my Zed
    04-02-13 08:35 AM
    I hate Otter box and have for years, ever since the defender case on my husband's I phone allowed enough dirt inside that it damaged the phone. They responded that you're supposed to remove the phone weekly, so we did and the stress on the clips broke the case. This was debris from pockets too, it shouldn't allow that much to accumulate. They're probably the most overrated cases on the market. I'd love for a life proof case or speck candy shell.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 10:10 AM
    Another thing about the Defender for Z10 is that if you don't remove the screen protector it interferes with the sensitivity. There is a visible gap between the screen protector and the screen, meaning you must first press the screen protector into the screen before the press is transmitted to the phone.
    04-02-13 10:12 AM
    Unfortunately, when you work in construction, sewer and watermain specifically, dirt and dust is the evil enemy. Until some one else designs a case that covers all of the opening like Otterbox does, I will remain loyal to them as they offer the best protection for my devices. My 9900 even took an unfortunate swim in a lake last summer and came out dry as the desert thanks to my Otterbox Defender.

Sorry, I know some people don't like the lack of options, but when it comes to simple protection, Otterbox can't be beat.

AND, the swiping issue with the Defender on the Z10 isn't that big of a deal, just takes a small adjustment of your thumb placement. Again, this case, well most cases if you ask me, are not meant to be on any device 24/7. I have 5 cases for my Z10 and no one case spends more than 24 hours straight on my device. Only the defender will spend more time as I use that case exclusively when camping for the weekend, 48-72 hours, or if on an emergency main break that can and have lasted up to 48 hours lol
    jesse_h likes this.
    04-02-13 10:25 AM
    I hate Otter box and have for years, ever since the defender case on my husband's I phone allowed enough dirt inside that it damaged the phone. They responded that you're supposed to remove the phone weekly, so we did and the stress on the clips broke the case. This was debris from pockets too, it shouldn't allow that much to accumulate. They're probably the most overrated cases on the market. I'd love for a life proof case or speck candy shell.

Posted via CB10
    To each their own, I guess.

But overrated? I've seen a BlackBerry Curve 8520 survive a tonne of stone being dumped on it and being run over by a bull dozer without so much as a scratch on the phone itself thanks to an Otterbox Defender. That sealed the deal for me with Otterbox. Since that day, January 25th-ish of 2011, I have had an Otterbox on every device I've owned. Commuter on 9800, 9900 and the Pink Cancer awareness as well as the regular Black on my girlfriends 9360. Defender on PlayBook, 9900 and now Z10.

And yes, you are supposed to remove any device from any case on a regular basis. Any remember during the 80's and early to mid 90's when Bra's were the "in" thing to have on a car? Remember what that cars hood looked like after a couple years when the bra was removed? Yeah, not a pretty site. Same scenario here.

Edited to add this:

As for stress on clips, I've had the Defender for my PlayBook since late April of 2011, just short of 2 years, and have never had a clip break on it from trying to remove it, and any one that has had tried to remove the Defender from a PlayBook, it ain't easy!
    04-02-13 10:32 AM
41 12