My point was that both Google and Microsoft do not respect the privacy of their users.

And since BlackBerry does not have an email service, 99% of the users need to turn to those two US based companies.

Also, as much as I hate Google, there is really no competition in terms of search engine. Bing simply does not work well for many people.

And of course, there is the Youtube, which does not have any viable competition.
    Microsoft has updated their privacy policy. They now state that they don't scan your Hotmail accounts for advertising. Gmail and Yahoo do.
    08-03-14 09:08 PM
    Microsoft has updated their privacy policy. They now state that they don't scan your Hotmail accounts for advertising. Gmail and Yahoo do.
    I meant that all US based tech companies are vulnerable to NSA spying their data and that includes Microsoft.

Microsoft: NSA security fallout 'getting worse' ... 'not blowing over' ? The Register

My point was that email service and using search engines are basic functions of ANY smartphones now.

However, since Blackberry cannot control those factors, users are still exposed to having their private data stolen.

And this is why I was asking what the significance of Blackberry security is if the actual tech companies linked to a Blackberry do not respect the privacy of their users.
    shaleem likes this.
    08-03-14 09:16 PM
    If the NSA wants your data, they are going to get it no matter what. Even if you live outside of the USA. If your data goes through the USA, they will get it if they want it. I don't like it because I feel they have no right to anybody's data without just cause or a warrant. But that's the reality in this day and age.
    shaleem and skstrials like this.
    08-03-14 09:30 PM
    Nice

From a Z30
    08-03-14 09:30 PM
    My point was that both Google and Microsoft do not respect the privacy of their users.

And since BlackBerry does not have an email service, 99% of the users need to turn to those two US based companies.

Also, as much as I hate Google, there is really no competition in terms of search engine. Bing simply does not work well for many people.

And of course, there is the Youtube, which does not have any viable competition.

Startpage.com

DuckDuckGo.com

Both of those do not track you, respect your privacy, and are as good as Google 98% of the time. Use Google the other 2%.

As for email, I use fastmail but I don't mind paying a bit for the security of knowing Google isn't datamining my personal email.

It's a pain to get away from Google but nowhere near impossible. The results are worth the small effort.

Posted via my beautiful Q10
    raino, lift, medic22003 and 2 others like this.
    08-03-14 09:31 PM
    [QUOTE=early2bed;10675866]I didn't read any of it but I can tell from the number of words that the proof is definitely there. I doubt Android users can come up with as many words to describe why Android is better, however, if they did then I'm sure you would be able to come up with even more words. The more words the better and you've made a lot of them here.

I think you are just getting started with this. I would recommend you make a bunch of copies and stand outside your local carrier store handing them out. You know most of the people going in there are coming out with Androids. They need to see your words and read them before they go in. What were they thinking, going into a store to buy something without doing the proper research?[/QUO

Aahahhahahaahhahha one of the best responses I've seen. Flat out said u didn't read the post lol

Posted on my Z30.......while on the can
    08-03-14 09:40 PM
    I like that you put it down on paper...
    08-04-14 12:07 AM
    Amazing post! Very informative.

Thanks OP!
    08-04-14 12:36 AM
    It's worse on Android because if you are running the stock ROM (which most people probably are,) not only does the update need to be from your carrier, it also needs to be for your phone's specific variant. So, say you have the Wind Mobile variant of a phone on TMO, your stock ROM is WIND, and not TMO. So good luck getting updates.

At least with BB the OSes are largely model ambivalent. I say 'largely' because there is the black sheep STL100-1. But otherwise, I can install any carrier's Q10 OS on any Q10, or any autoloader, etc.
    Last I knew, BB10 OS updates were per carrier as well.

and just like we install autoloaders (that don't depend on a carrier) , android users install roms from xda all the time which is pure down right stock android.
    08-04-14 02:55 AM
    Last I knew, BB10 OS updates were per carrier as well.

and just like we install autoloaders (that don't depend on a carrier) , android users install roms from xda all the time which is pure down right stock android.
    did you not see the stats though ? Blackberry does have a gbillion different BB10 devices on a gabilion different varients of BB10 so over two thirds are on the latest official OS
    08-04-14 04:00 AM
    They should limit the post size. Way too long. Sorry.

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    08-04-14 08:13 AM
    Agreed, I have been using Duck Duck Go for 6 months and would never go back to Google. Thanks for the fast mail tip. I will give it a try.

Posted via CB10
    SmileDahling likes this.
    08-04-14 09:11 AM
    did you not see the stats though ? Blackberry does have a gbillion different BB10 devices on a gabilion different varients of BB10 so over two thirds are on the latest official OS
    I got the latest android update only 5 weeks after it came out, carrier and all.
    08-04-14 09:34 AM
    Forgive me for asking what may appear to be a stupid question: Is BlackBerry secure for the regular, non business and company type user, or is it just BES that has all the security. I ask this because if only BES is secure, then BlackBerry would not appear to be better than Android. Again, I ask for your patience with me on this. I'm not as tech savvy as many of you here.
    08-04-14 09:37 AM
    I got the latest android update only 5 weeks after it came out, carrier and all.
    Erm congratulations you're part of the 8%?

Check Out TechCraze
    lift likes this.
    08-04-14 09:54 AM
    This thread, it cannot be real. Specifically the people telling the OP "Great post" and things of that nature. This is just sad.
    08-04-14 09:58 AM
    Erm congratulations you're part of the 8%?
    I'll take 8%, I like it better than 0.6%
    08-04-14 10:07 AM
    I'll take 8%, I like it better than 0.6%

My list of reasons why BlackBerry 10 is better than Android-img_20140804_160907.png

Check Out TechCraze
    08-04-14 10:09 AM
    Startpage.com

DuckDuckGo.com

Both of those do not track you, respect your privacy, and are as good as Google 98% of the time. Use Google the other 2%.

As for email, I use fastmail but I don't mind paying a bit for the security of knowing Google isn't datamining my personal email.

It's a pain to get away from Google but nowhere near impossible. The results are worth the small effort.

Posted via my beautiful Q10
    Once you click a link on start page though, you are no longer going through their servers unless you use the ixquick proxy links.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 10:10 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140804_160907.png 
Views:	561 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	288888
    What percentage of the 0.6% BB owners agree with that post? Let's say 65%? What's 65% of 0.6%?
    08-04-14 10:13 AM
    It's worse on Android because if you are running the stock ROM (which most people probably are,) not only does the update need to be from your carrier, it also needs to be for your phone's specific variant. So, say you have the Wind Mobile variant of a phone on TMO, your stock ROM is WIND, and not TMO. So good luck getting updates.

At least with BB the OSes are largely model ambivalent. I say 'largely' because there is the black sheep STL100-1. But otherwise, I can install any carrier's Q10 OS on any Q10, or any autoloader, etc.
    You are right and wrong. Your right that only the carriers can push a new OS version unless you have a Google Nexus phone or a GPE phone purchased on the Google Play Store. Your wrong as far as the need to get the new OS. A HUGE amount of things that come in an OS update for iOS, Windows Phone, BB10 are not only in OS updates for Android but now separated out in Google Play Service updates that runs on all phone since Android 4. Since Android has fragmentation Google came up with Google Play Services. This does the following and minimizes any the need for a full OS Update by the carrier.

"Bundled inside the Google Play Services app are a huge number of APIs for Android developers, security updates, software patches to the underlying Android code, and other smaller tweaks and tools to vital areas of Android. By updating this application, Google can keep as many Android devices and Android users up to date with software, services, and security issues.

As Pichai points out, “We [Google] want to ship features as fast as possible”, which is a huge benefit to Android users. The majority of Google’s apps are outside of the firmware and are updated via Google Play (apps such as Gmail, Chrome, Maps, and Google Play Music). There’s no waiting for a point release on the firmware to go from Google, to the manufacturer, to the network, and then rolled out as an over the air update… the apps simply update through the store framework.

That same flexibility and speed allows Google to patch and update much of Android directly using the Google Play Services app, reducing the time it takes to get changes to users, and making a better, safer, and stable Android experience easier to implement."

Google Has 93% Of Android Users On The Latest Google Play Service, Outperforming Apple's iOS7 Adoption Rate - Forbes

This is why Android is better. BB10 will have the same issue with carriers that Android has but Google found a cleaver way to seperate out the important stuff and allow it to update on its own.
    Last edited by Nicholas Kathrein; 08-04-14 at 11:21 AM.
    tre10 likes this.
    08-04-14 10:53 AM
    What percentage of the 0.6% BB owners agree with that post? Let's say 65%? What's 65% of 0.6%?
    Right.. so Veyron's are worse than Ford's because more people have Ford's.. cool

Check Out TechCraze
    08-04-14 10:58 AM
    Right.. so Veyron's are worse than Ford's because more people have Ford's.. cool
    If a low selling but quality performing niche product is good, it gets a majority good reviews in the media. Can't say the same for your argument. Low sales, bad reviews.
    08-04-14 11:02 AM
    If a low selling but quality performing niche product is good, it gets a majority good reviews in the media. Can't say the same for your argument. Low sales, bad reviews.
    From where exactly? The way I see it things are in flux right now, last Quarter BB10 outsold legacy, low sales is the definition of niche and bad reviews depends who you ask.

And what has that got to do with OS fragmentation and how BlackBerry 10 is better than android? Think your comments are for a different thread..

Check Out TechCraze
    johnm137 and zyben like this.
    08-04-14 11:13 AM
    Its a good write up. Very flawed but I appreciate a solid effort.

Some issues I have with what you wrote:
    1. Security. Unless you are connected to BES your phone isn't secure. There seems to be a trend here that if your phone says BB on it it is completely secure. Unless you are on BES it isn't, period.

2. Superior update process: Are you kidding? BB's update process sucks because it has to go through the carriers. Watering it down by saying Android has to do more than that doesn't take away from the fact that BB's is just as bad.

3. I'd argue that Swiftkey is a better keyboard than BB10's. Whether or not its an app is meaningless.

4. Fanboys - are you joking. There are none greater than BB fanboys, which is understandable but if you think they are less than Android or Apple you are sorely mistaken.

5. Toast notifications have been available on Android for forever.
    08-04-14 11:28 AM
122 1234 ...