After reading all the hate directed towards BB's by iPhone and Android users and all the "positive" comments about the iPhone 4, I decided it was time for me to really try the IP4 and to be honest with all the love shown toward the IP4 by the ifans, I was expecting a technological experience which would be yrs ahead of current technology.
    Before I go further I would admit that I'm a BB fan since the days of 8800 and I also love my Macbook. The Macbook is amazing and it has given me 4 yrs of no nonsense performance and still rocking with OS X Lion.
    So with all the ifans persuasion I thought it was time to see if I could go completely Apple, and I persuaded a friend of mine to give his iPhone 4 to me for 3 days, and here goes....
    After switching my contacts to the iPhone 4 and configuring my mail and safely storing my 9900 I was ready to get with the "amazing" apple experience.
    Day 1: Took the beautiful shiny IP4 off the charger and went to work. My commute to work is 1 hour and I use that to make calls over my Bluetooth headset. Dialling phone numbers while driving was a PITA but being a former Storm user I got through it.
    Got my mails reasonably fast but didn't reply to them as the touch keyboard wasn't doing anything for me. I put it down to the new user syndrome, so I tried a few replies. Got through them after a little difficulty. Told myself it would be better the next day.
    Kept it as a voice device only for the day.
    By 3 PM the phone died on me. WTF!!!
    Didn't have a very special iPhone charging cord anywhere near me and no one else in my office had it either. A lot of people had micro USB chargers but the IP4 has a special Apple only charger. Lesson learnt, made a mental note to carry the space age Iphone charger with me the next day.
    Came back home with a beautiful but dead device and charged it. Loaded some of the awesome games and apps on it. First thing I got was angry birds and from all that I had heard about this game I figured that this would be the life changing event in my life. Played the game for half an hour. Let me tell you, this is a really addictive game. I thought I finally got what the whole fuss was about. Figured Angry Birds would be a really positive addition to my workday. Also downloaded Paper Toss, Sniper and a lot many games. The App Store was rocking. My friend had jailbroken the phone and everything was free.
    Day 2 : Having learnt my lesson the day before I packed the iPhone charger and went to work with dreams of playing Angry Birds. Didnt get enough time to play anything. Thought it kinda sucked. I have the god phone and I cant play anything while working.
    Next I noticed the call quality is no where near the BB. The caller sounds tinny. That's a technical term used by audiophiles to describe sound which is very electronic and not natural. I was constantly pushing the volume up button but it was set at max. If there is a lot of background noise you can hardly hear what the other person is saying. But hey there are a lot of other things going for IP4, Paper Toss for one which I couldn't play because my boss was right up my a**.
    Missed a couple of mails. Couldn't figure out why, but I thought what the he!! I can keep pressing refresh on my mailbox on my laptop. Really why do I need instant and assured mail when I can have thousands of Apps.
    Phone dies at 3 PM again, but this time I was prepared, I had my special spaceage cable that is custom built for the iphone. Put it for charging, and was called into a meeting. Came back to my desk to find out that while the darling was being charged, I missed a couple of important calls, but hey I can always call them the next day and hopefully I would still get the business. I'm in sales of end to end networking solutions.Have a lot of competition where customers dont wait for their solutions. Early bird getting the worm and all that.
    Anyway got back home. Wife was in a good mood and between her and Angry Birds the choice was clear.
    Day 3: Carried my 9900 to work. Couldn't take the awful voice quality poor battery life and sketchy mailing anymore. But still was determined to get through my 3 day trial so still had my SIM card in the IP.
    Needless to say by 1 PM I had had enough. Switched my SIM card to the BB, waiting thirty seconds for it to boot up. Another 30 seconds for it to get 2 days worth of mails pushed to it, and I was swimming.
    No running back to my Macbook to refresh my mailbox or to fire off a quick reply to a mail.
    Call quality : Stellar as only a BB can provide.
    Do I miss Paper Toss, angry birds etc: yes and no. The fact that I dont have it on the device is glaring, but do I have the time: NO. Between work and my other enjoyment, I don't really need it. When I'm really in the mood for games and the times I want to ignore the wife, I fire up my Xbox and play NFS on my HD plasma.
    From my phone I want reliability and the ability to get through the day on a single charge. Yes the 9900 battery isn't typical BB, but its a whole lot better than the IP4.
    Returned the IP to my friend. He asked me how I liked it. Told him I loved it. Next he asked me when I'm dumping my POS BB, told him when Apple comes up with a real phone. Wish I could have taken a pic of his face, but as we all know the 9900 camera is a POS when it come to close ups .
    No IP4 for me in the forseeable future. Till then its BB all the way.
    Long post, but I thought with all the IP4 fans visiting this great forum, I really needed to try it for myself and this is what my experience was.
    Last edited by sam_b77; 09-09-11 at 03:57 PM.
    09-09-11 03:22 PM
    You must have been using the iPhone 4 like it was a free hooker that doesnt charge you and doesnt need to eat, sleep.. etc etc.. because my friend has an iPhone 4 and he uses it as much as my phone and we get about the same battery life, maybe the iPhone a lil more battery life.

Not that im sticking up for Apple, as much as I love my Apple made computers, I tried the iPhone and like I've said before... I will never own one. NO THANK YOU APPLE!
    tjioer likes this.
    09-09-11 04:50 PM
    The BB + iTouch 4G combo tends to work pretty well too.
    Mastec and pantlesspenguin like this.
    09-09-11 04:54 PM
    Nice story but you can only compare devices on a personal level. Just like a car it has to fit your needs or you won't buy it! I left android and came back to BB for personal reasons and by far android is a all around better device. My new bold 9930 is a better fit for me, I get emails faster, larger text,better navigation and a phyical keyboard. So in short I came back for certain needs that RIM has put in this device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-11 05:08 PM
    You must have been using the iPhone 4 like it was a free hooker that doesnt charge you and doesnt need to eat, sleep.. etc etc.. because my friend has an iPhone 4 and he uses it as much as my phone and we get about the same battery life, maybe the iPhone a lil more battery life.

Not that im sticking up for Apple, as much as I love my Apple made computers, I tried the iPhone and like I've said before... I will never own one. NO THANK YOU APPLE!
    Well the analogy doesn't fit.
    But I was the using the iPhone as much as my BB.
    However I do admit that the iPhone was nearly 7 months old and I'm rocking a brand new BB.
    Will have to wait and see how well the BB battery performs in 7 months time. Maybe it winds down as well.
    TBH, I think the 9900's battery might give me troubles after 7-8 months. Let's see.
    09-09-11 05:30 PM
    Well the analogy doesn't fit.
    But I was the using the iPhone as much as my BB.
    However I do admit that the iPhone was nearly 7 months old and I'm rocking a brand new BB.
    Will have to wait and see how well the BB battery performs in 7 months time. Maybe it winds down as well.
    TBH, I think the 9900's battery might give me troubles after 7-8 months. Let's see.
    Sure the analogy fits, If you had a free hooker that never needed to eat and sleep your telling me you wouldnt be on top of that ALL DAY/NIGHT LONG?

But I guess it was a bad analogy, hookers are dirty and I would never sleep with one... yuck.

But I guess one could indeed say the iPhone is like a hooker. Its useless as a communications tool and if you tell it to get your mail it will take its time and waste every second of your life. Its only good for quick fun that you have to pay for..... but I guess you can't jailbreak a hooker to get somethin for free..... well I guess you COULD jailbreak a hooker, but to me that seems a little more risky and illegal than jailbreaking an iPhone.
    09-09-11 05:41 PM
    The BB + iTouch 4G combo tends to work pretty well too.
    Same setup except I have a 3rd Gen Touch. I'm happy
    09-09-11 06:19 PM
    Nice interesting article (y) (y)

09-09-11 06:26 PM
    Respects.
    You're story is somewhat similar to how I ended up here. I'm rockin' a dual g4 powerpc though
    I don't rely on mine work, but I'm also an (almost) all Apple guy, but once the novelty of the iPhone's app store wears off and you realize the difference between playing games and doing important things you need to do everyday, nothing comes close to the BlackBerry.

Angry Birds is f'ing awesome, how, nobody knows, but those little birds have personality and somehow make ya like 'em

09-09-11 09:33 PM
    Respects.
    You're story is somewhat similar to how I ended up here. I'm rockin' a dual g4 powerpc though
    I don't rely on mine work, but I'm also an (almost) all Apple guy, but once the novelty of the iPhone's app store wears off and you realize the difference between playing games and doing important things you need to do everyday, nothing comes close to the BlackBerry.

Angry Birds is f'ing awesome, how, nobody knows, but those little birds have personality and somehow make ya like 'em

I aint gonna take an iPhone for those birds

09-09-11 10:26 PM
    Everyone will favor devices for objective, or subjective reasons ; sometimes, it's both..

Just keep in mind, expectation is the mother of disappointment

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    09-09-11 10:31 PM
    Nice story
    I disslike the iPhone and iOS
    Gonna get the 9900
    Thee 9900 does communication very well
    I can't use iphone, iOS sucks !!

09-09-11 10:59 PM
    Nice story
    I disslike the iPhone and iOS
    Gonna get the 9900
    Thee 9900 does communication very well
    I can't use iphone, iOS sucks !!

YMMV, as the saying goes..

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    09-09-11 11:16 PM
    Wow! Don't have the time? To busy? You guys must be super important to never have time to waste. I manage ammunition for 3 military installations, National Guard and Reserves, officiate hockey games, play hockey, work for my condo association, and I always have time to kill in between everything. Did I mention I also have a 3 year old in soccer? My iPhone manages my schedules just fine. No complaints. Well, maybe one complaint. I miss the little blinky notification light.

If someone ever asked me what the one thing I like about my iPhone, it would be the screen. It simply looks better than anything on the blackberry. I know it's subjective, but I truly like the way things look on my iPhone. Even when I tried the new 9810, things still looked "grainy" to me.

Now... I plan to look at the 9900 if and when it ever becomes available on AT&T. That's one sexy phone. Definitely plan on giving it some consideration, but with the iPhone 5 coming... Who knows?
    lssanjose likes this.
    09-09-11 11:35 PM
    Wow! Don't have the time? To busy? You guys must be super important to never have time to waste. I manage ammunition for 3 military installations, National Guard and Reserves, officiate hockey games, play hockey, work for my condo association, and I always have time to kill in between everything. Did I mention I also have a 3 year old in soccer? My iPhone manages my schedules just fine. No complaints. Well, maybe one complaint. I miss the little blinky notification light.

If someone ever asked me what the one thing I like about my iPhone, it would be the screen. It simply looks better than anything on the blackberry. I know it's subjective, but I truly like the way things look on my iPhone. Even when I tried the new 9810, things still looked "grainy" to me.

Now... I plan to look at the 9900 if and when it ever becomes available on AT&T. That's one sexy phone. Definitely plan on giving it some consideration, but with the iPhone 5 coming... Who knows?

Definitely shows the tool doesn't make the man.. And that goes for any platform: BlackBerry, WP7, Android, etc.
    09-10-11 12:46 AM
    Hey I miss that guy. Wheres he at? The best standup comedian America had in the recent years.
    09-10-11 01:25 AM
    To the OP... you made the right decision... no one wants to play with Angry Wives... :-)
    09-10-11 06:59 PM
    This is exactly why I love my 9930 and also carry along an iPad. The iPad has great battery life, amazing apps, good for web browsing, and overall a joy to use. The playbook was almost there for me but didnt have the apps I wanted.
    09-10-11 09:42 PM
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

09-10-11 10:35 PM
    09-10-11 11:00 PM
    This is just another hate posting. I have been told by Steve Jobs himself that if I have the iPhone I will be cooler. If I just do whatever Steve Jobs says I will gain his approval for purchasing all the stuff his company makes. Sure it is about 25% more expensive but that is the price you pay for being cool. He smiles at me and that has to make me cool.

I don't care if Google and Amazon as well as others have withdrawn their content because of apples nefarious new fees intended to kill the competition.
    I travel a great deal but the fact the iPhone4 is not a world phone is not important because... well. It does not matter, Steve Jobs said I'd be cool if I have an iPhone.
    I don't care that the phone drops my calls. Life is an adventure and having to guess if I'll be stuck in BF Egypt as my phone dies is part of the adventure.

Even though BB has eliminated the Web Experience advantage with the iPhone, I can still enjoy not reading my time critical e-mails and blame it on the phone. That way, I have an excuse.

I also don't care that the iP4 and next iPhone don't have and won't have a physical keyboard or shortcuts or NFC. What can you do, with all the awesome fart apps I can just sit on the couch and realize how cool I am because Steve Jobs told me so.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 09-10-11 at 11:17 PM.
    09-10-11 11:14 PM
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA phuck....
    09-10-11 11:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD