A friend of mine recently pitted my blackberry against an android phone, and guess what ????he won. Me being a first time blackberry user wanted to give it right on his face how cool my phone was but he proved me wrong even using a phone which costs less than my bb(i.e. Even the features!) And well last but not the least he pointed at an article which says muggers did not even like stealling a bb.Did I being a student buying a bb really make a bad decision?
    12-19-11 04:37 AM
    A friend of mine recently pitted my blackberry against an android phone, and guess what ????he won. Me being a first time blackberry user wanted to give it right on his face how cool my phone was but he proved me wrong even using a phone which costs less than my bb(i.e. Even the features!) And well last but not the least he pointed at an article which says muggers did not even like stealling a bb.Did I being a student buying a bb really make a bad decision?
    Its hard to say yes/no. You didn't tell us how yall compaired the 2 phones together. Are they one the same network etc. You said your new to blackberry you don't know to use it yet. Put your friend against somebody that knows how to effectly use a blackberry and you'll see a different result.
    There is a lot of android and iphone users around me. They all are amazed how I do stuff on my blackberry at very top speeds. The only thing they get me at is most times my blackberry buffers like crazy on youtube.
    You have to set your blackberry up to your uses. To have your going to use it so things are in reach. You can open up txt hold menu button open up browser will your home page is opening open up a spread sheet hold menu button go back to browser type in url hold menu go to spread sheet or where ever you want to do.
    This test of yall's was unfair to you. I'm still using a 600mhz blackberry on top of everthing else. You have to learn your blackberry and its shortcuts and how you want it to work for you. If yoj put your buddy up to someone like me its real possible he'll get buried.
    I don't mind helping you learn your blackberry. Tell me what you want to do and we'll find a way to do it. The learning curve its bad at all. You'll be blazing thru it in no time. You can pm me if you like.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-19-11 06:08 AM
    I agree with everything echo said. Once you learn how to run a BB the short cuts and multitasking abilities really make it and efficient and speedy device to USE.

Yes if you compare the speed at loading one web page than the BB will probably loose, but add browsing, email, text messaging, and (enter task of your choice here) together at the same time, and the BB has a good chance of winning. Provided the use knows how to take advantage of BB's user interface.

The first thing you need to check out is the CrackBerry 101 page.

BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series | CrackBerry.com

Also, there is a good reason that muggers don't want to steal a BB. Once it's reported stollen it is basically turned into a feature phone. All data usage is blocked by RIM. They also know that if it's properly secured with a password and encryption, there is no way that they will get any useful information from it. One phone call and a few minutes on a computer and they are left with a paper weight.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-19-11 06:40 AM
    I have both Android and BB. Different phones with different strong points.
    Android is a media powerhouse. It is also ridiculously flexible to whatever you want to make of it.
    I feel that BB is a more secure device. I do my banking on my BB. It is ready to go right out of the box with highly customisation options in profiles and notifications. And there is the keyboard. Also, I LOVE bedside mode...calls come through but other notifications are silent. LOVE it.
    So.....if you want a powerhouse media and gaming device, you've made the wrong choice.
    Personally, I would give up my Atrix before my BBerries.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-19-11 06:51 AM
    Blackberry has fallen behind to Android and Apple and the glaring lack of apps. As a BB owner you have to accept that your phone will not be the latest and greatest. If you can't accept that then you need to follow your friend and get an Android.
    12-19-11 06:57 AM
    Blackberry has fallen behind to Android and Apple and the glaring lack of apps. As a BB owner you have to accept that your phone will not be the latest and greatest. If you can't accept that then you need to follow your friend and get an Android.
    That is so wrong in every way. If asked what makes your arguement you would probally say apps. Not knowing thatfor the most part blackberry has most types of apps. What you don't realize is other platforms is just now catching up w/ Rim with what they can do.
    Last year it was oh look my ip or android has a 1ghz cpu. Ops look blackberrys now have what? Yea.
    Font count blackberry out from being a media machine. Its plays all the media just fine. I eill admit though
    I wish there was a big screen blackberry. That's my only gripe..

Mecca EL likes this.
    12-19-11 07:12 AM
    I understand all of the comparisons but what it really boils down to is does what you have work for you without comparing and are you happy with it. Does it matter to you that someone elses phone can load a webpage .5 seconds faster than yours.

Now if you're a huge app person then the others have bb beat in numbers but there many useful and good apps for bb also, just not a huge number that are duplicates of another 50 apps that all do the same thing. There also aren't some of the apps such as netflix or skype.

So what is most important to you?
    moiselles likes this.
    12-19-11 07:19 AM
    Well I have a curve 3g. So first was the compasrision of the models (I.e mostly androids available under that price tag,then the things an android could do mostly media related and then how blackberry's aint large enough, and me being a student shouldnt have bought it coz he said it is mostly for coporate power power dog and that that a bb has a better battery life due to the fact that a blackberry does nothing!
    12-19-11 07:29 AM
    Once you get used to bb it just works for you.
    You get lots of job done in short amount of time
    It's a powerful phone, forget the specs
    12-19-11 07:34 AM
    Sounds like someones opinion and you know they say about opinions. Do you really value what they think? Ask yourself, do I feel I made a bad choice? Do I like my phone and am I happy with it? Do you value data consumption or don't care about racking up the gbs?

I find that I prefer to make myself happy because I'll never be happy if I go by what makes someone else happy or what someone else tells me.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-19-11 07:38 AM
    Why not try to use both of them for what they really are? "Phones" See who wins that competition, call some place that requires you enter lots of prompts, do this with speakerphone turned off, and put the phone to your ear between each prompt.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-19-11 07:40 AM
    Well I have a curve 3g. So first was the compasrision of the models (I.e mostly androids available under that price tag,then the things an android could do mostly media related and then how blackberry's aint large enough, and me being a student shouldnt have bought it coz he said it is mostly for coporate power power dog and that that a bb has a better battery life due to the fact that a blackberry does nothing!
    Sometimes I think the word "media" is turning into a code for "video". But you're a student, so maybe we can hold you to a higher standard?

Media include written text, still pictures, and music, as well as video.

Text: Your BB has several apps for reading RSS news feeds, and there are apps for individual news sources. And of course you can browse to any number of blogs, news sites, and so on. There's a Kindle app for some BBs, and a way to get install it on OS 7, even though there's no official app for that platform yet. There are other book reading apps as well. There are decent apps for FaceBook and Twitter, various IM services, and so on. These are all text-based media, and the BB does just fine.

Still pictures: The BB has a decent camera, and is capable of displaying photographs well. There are photo editing apps, for people who like to do this sort of thing on their phone. You can upload photos to FaceBook, and you can send them via email easily. You can resize them for sending to small-screen devices, saving the pointless battery drain of sending a humongous image file to someone who's going to view it on a mobile device screen. You can view or download most images embedded in web sites.

Music/Sound: There is a decent music player on the BB, and there are apps for alternative ones with other features. There's the new BBMusic service. There's Pandora, Slacker, Nobex, and other streaming music service apps. There's a podcast app.

Video: The BB can record and playback video, but not as well as some other smartphones with bigger screens and higher resolution cameras. Honestly, if watching movies and other videos is a high priority, then it's pretty obvious to me that a device with a larger screen than even the 98xx is needed--and a very fast powerful processor to support it. I've watched a movie or two on my BB, but it's not something I'm interested in doing very much of. The occasional YouTube clip is okay, but if I thought I needed to be doing a lot of that sort of thing I'd get a different device.

So, if we don't make the mistake of thinking that "media" means "video", the BB isn't such a bad media device.

Saying that the BB is for "corporate power dogs" is as absurd a stereotype as saying that Android is for adolescent mouth-breathers.
    13echo4, Mecca EL and menaknow like this.
    12-19-11 08:07 AM
    Well this makes sense. Although what I wanted to put across was the capabilties of a bb to be more productive and entertaining .stuff like how a bb really helps you do you daily work. I do like mine for the fact the way sns have been integrated , my schedules are organised and how it automatically does most of the basic stuff like assigning pics to my contacts .The way it helps me open my pdfs and ppt on the go. And yes the way it makes me social!
    Last edited by theblackberryier; 12-19-11 at 08:39 AM.
    12-19-11 08:35 AM
    I don't want to cut the curve short.but its not put out to be a media
    Powerhouse as in play videos and music. But it does. I watch vidoes and listen to music on my curves. They don't have the screen res. As the bolds and torches but they do the job. Along with the other media stuff.
    So as a student you have interenet at your fingertips, email if you can email papers in or get asignment via email. You have txting and social feeds to keep in the loop wiith your family and friends. Don't forget fax abilities.
    I will help you learn your berry. Give me idea what you want to do any I'll show you ways how to do it. Pm me need be.

CanadianThomas likes this.
    12-19-11 09:06 AM
    The Curve 9300 isn't bad - I'm just typing on that device. You can't compare a BB to other smartphones. BB are communicators, they aren't built for playing games or brwosing all the time (especially not the 9300).
    Once you've learned all the shortcuts, how to set up AutoText and so on you will be able to do your work really fast on this device.

12-19-11 09:07 AM
    Well this makes sense. Although what I wanted to put across was the capabilties of a bb to be more productive and entertaining .stuff like how a bb really helps you do you daily work. I do like mine for the fact the way sns have been integrated , my schedules are organised and how it automatically does most of the basic stuff like assigning pics to my contacts .The way it helps me open my pdfs and ppt on the go. And yes the way it makes me social!
    Every carrier and every phone maker wants you to be dazzled by "features". That's how you sell phones. They want you to forget that one size does not fit all. If your phone has all the apps you need or want available and it works well for you, then you've got the right phone. If not, then maybe it's time to look at other phones. No matter what platform you're on, there's always going to be a phone that does something better than yours. The question is: Does your phone do what you want it to, the way you want it done? If the answer is yes, then you have the best phone in the world. And comparisons mean nothing.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    12-19-11 09:16 AM
    I am happy with my bb as It does most of the stuff I like, but I just do not like it the way people go around stereotyping it, I know even my phone could do most stuff "other" phones do -edit pictures,edit docs,fax,create blogs(not full fledged I guess),text-to-speech all that!
    13echo4 likes this.
    12-19-11 09:36 AM
    I did. Pm you echo although I guess it aint reaching you.
    12-19-11 09:37 AM
    Well looks like I am part of the 'crackberry' family now
    Lead_Express and kraski like this.
    12-19-11 09:52 AM
    @theblackberryier ... does your phone work for you? That's really all that matters. No matter which device you have, there is always going to be one out there that's better at something. As long as what you have is better at the stuff you need it to do, who cares about the rest.
    13echo4 likes this.
    12-19-11 10:04 AM
    I am happy with my bb as It does most of the stuff I like, but I just do not like it the way people go around stereotyping it, I know even my phone could do most stuff "other" phones do -edit pictures,edit docs,fax,create blogs(not full fledged I guess),text-to-speech all that!
    The older BBs (like the 9000 or the 9700) do get a bad rap where I work because of the fact that people starting using them more and more to access the internet, and these phones were not really meant to be internet browser powerhouses--i.e. they were slow.

The reason I bring up internet browsing is that 95% of what I do on my BB is for email, chatting, internet browsing, and playing around with some apps. The BB goes these things well. The other 5% is barely used, but it's that 5% that Android users will like to say that their phone does better. Well hoorah, but if you don't use these features, does it matter if a certain phone is better at it?
    12-19-11 10:31 AM
    Sometimes I think the word "media" is turning into a code for "video". But you're a student, so maybe we can hold you to a higher standard?

Media include written text, still pictures, and music, as well as video.

Text: Your BB has several apps for reading RSS news feeds, and there are apps for individual news sources. And of course you can browse to any number of blogs, news sites, and so on. There's a Kindle app for some BBs, and a way to get install it on OS 7, even though there's no official app for that platform yet. There are other book reading apps as well. There are decent apps for FaceBook and Twitter, various IM services, and so on. These are all text-based media, and the BB does just fine.

Still pictures: The BB has a decent camera, and is capable of displaying photographs well. There are photo editing apps, for people who like to do this sort of thing on their phone. You can upload photos to FaceBook, and you can send them via email easily. You can resize them for sending to small-screen devices, saving the pointless battery drain of sending a humongous image file to someone who's going to view it on a mobile device screen. You can view or download most images embedded in web sites.

Music/Sound: There is a decent music player on the BB, and there are apps for alternative ones with other features. There's the new BBMusic service. There's Pandora, Slacker, Nobex, and other streaming music service apps. There's a podcast app.

Video: The BB can record and playback video, but not as well as some other smartphones with bigger screens and higher resolution cameras. Honestly, if watching movies and other videos is a high priority, then it's pretty obvious to me that a device with a larger screen than even the 98xx is needed--and a very fast powerful processor to support it. I've watched a movie or two on my BB, but it's not something I'm interested in doing very much of. The occasional YouTube clip is okay, but if I thought I needed to be doing a lot of that sort of thing I'd get a different device.

So, if we don't make the mistake of thinking that "media" means "video", the BB isn't such a bad media device.

Saying that the BB is for "corporate power dogs" is as absurd a stereotype as saying that Android is for adolescent mouth-breathers.
    One of the best posts I've ever read. Factual and promotes BB without needing to put any other platform down.

Thanks.
    12-19-11 10:33 AM
    I did. Pm you echo although I guess it aint reaching you.
    I got it and replied.

12-19-11 10:35 AM
    I went to AT&T the other day to try out the new BBs seeing that BB10 models are delayed. I was surprised when the salesman actually went out of his way to show me the 9860. Now that model IS built for media, games and all that. The OS7 berries are quite nice really, especially the 9860/50 and the 9900/30.
    13echo4 and Mecca EL like this.
    12-19-11 11:04 AM
    13echo4 and ubizmo very good points.
    you really have to get to know your BB and
    you will enjoy it more.
    If you start comparing it to android for games
    the Android will win hands down.
    for games I have my ipod,ipad2,PB for everything
    else my beloved Blackberry.
    13echo4 likes this.
    12-19-11 12:15 PM
34 12