Ten months ago I didn't even want a cell phone let alone a smart phone. Then my son wanted a phone, so we decided to get 2 Bold 9780's to support a Canadian company, since thats where I live. About 2 weeks ago my sons screen goes all white, seems to be a common problem. This phone hasn't been dropped, there are no marks on it. So off it goes for repair. One week turn around, I was pretty satisfied with that.

A week later the bottom 1/4 inch goes all white, so off it goes again. This time they say the screen is cracked, which didn't happen here, and they wanted $125 to fix it. My son said he put it on the charger dock and it was working, when he took it off the white strip appeared. Seems to coincidental to happen twice in 2 weeks.

The phone was still under the 1 year warranty and I was told that any repairs had a 90 day warranty(I think). If we had broken it I would have no trouble paying for the repair. I see this as a money grab and aren't too happy with it.
    03-19-12 07:07 PM
    SAD to say that I'm hearing more and more stories of this nature with RIM customer service. In the USA we have a better business bureau,,,,not that it's really that helpful, but at lease we can report it to someone. Sorry that your experience with RIM hasn't gone well, hopefully you can get things corrected
    03-19-12 07:18 PM
    since the phones were new and under warrany, i would suggest just asking and or demanding in a courteous way for new bb's. you obviously have faulty 9780's so you shouldnt have to sit there and have brand new bb's been sent in for repairs, that nuts. i bought a new 9810 in December, and once the slider became bouncy when i was typing on the touchscreen keyboardm i took it back to Wind with the box, all the components and original receipt and asked for a new one, and they gave me one on the spot.
    03-19-12 07:19 PM
    SAD to say that I'm hearing more and more stories of this nature with RIM customer service. In the USA we have a better business bureau,,,,not that it's really that helpful, but at lease we can report it to someone. Sorry that your experience with RIM hasn't gone well, hopefully you can get things corrected
    i think this is an issue hes having with the Carrier , not with RIM.
    carullo and Morten like this.
    03-19-12 07:21 PM
    Lol you just now losing faith? Consider yourself lucky you haven't been following RIM since 07' or even a lil before that like most of us have. Lol you would've been lost faith after all the mistakes they made.

No but really what I are experiencing really doesn't happen often. BB's are known for being some of the least defective hardware wise
    03-19-12 07:27 PM
    Quit sitting on them.
    Rello likes this.
    03-19-12 07:30 PM
    Have had RIM, Apple and Android smartphones a tablets over the last four years... I can tell horror stories from all of them with in my mind Apple being the worst as it took over 90 days to get my Ipad back...

The lesson Iearned was to check with the carrier as to what the conditions returning product when defective...

On my smartphones it was one year replacement and I bought an additional 2 year extended replacement warranty... As for damage... play with an Iphone if you want to see cracks... went throught 3 with either cracks on the face and back.. I have had my 2 torch 9800 for over a year and not a hic up...

Sometimes it is just back luck....
    Kuttysark likes this.
    03-19-12 07:53 PM
    @OP. A lot of us have been there with issues with our BlackBerry. I would seek resolution thru the avenues listed on here. One of the issues with mass-production of a product (even with scrutinized QA/QC) is having some with defects hitting the market and into the hands of someone trying the device for the first time. Initially, it will leave a bad vibe with any consumer- whether a novice or an experienced user. While it is your choice. I would see about getting replacements and give it a true test utilized for work, business, or play. Anyway, good luck and help is available for you here on CrackBerry if you decide to keep the CrackBerries.
    03-19-12 08:15 PM
    No, my beef is with RIM. Rogers has decided to pick up the bill, so it won't cost me anything, but I still don't feel its right.
    03-19-12 08:20 PM
    The worse luck I ever had was with my motorolla 815's. They kept breaking after my wife threw them at me. But after that I have had little problems with my 9800 torches. And my wife still drops hers....alot. I think we can count ourselves lucky. But we do buy our phones at wireless wave. They carry All types for all carriers. Seems to work better as they seek to have a better idea of who is the best for us.
    03-19-12 08:24 PM
    No, my beef is with RIM. Rogers has decided to pick up the bill, so it won't cost me anything, but I still don't feel its right.
    Your wireless carrier is supposed to handle these matters. You only get to speak with BlackBerry technical/customer support if the carrier transfers you. Any warranty issues are handled by the carrier. Research In Motion has much to answer for but warrant-less complaints exposes the true motivation of some of these messages posted to the forum.
    03-19-12 08:26 PM
    I'm in no way upset that the phone broke, ok maybe alittle, its just they fix it once and then a week later the same thing happens and they start blaming us for breaking it when I know it didn't receive any hard damage.

I'm not an Apple fan, but my son bought himself one of the brand new ipod touches a year or so ago, we couldn't get a case to fit it so he was using the one from the previous generation, which of course apple makes it a different size. So it slips out and smashes the screen. I took it to an apple store in the US and was ready to pay the $150 for the screen replacement. The genius guy, or what ever they're called took it to the back and returned with a brand new one, said no charge this time. So as much as I dislike Apple, they sure swayed me by doing that.

And that ipod rides around in the kids other pocket and it isn't broken.
    03-19-12 08:27 PM
    Your wireless carrier is supposed to handle these matters. You only get to speak with BlackBerry technical/customer support if the carrier transfers you. Any warranty issues are handled by the carrier. Research In Motion has much to answer for but warrant-less complaints exposes the true motivation of some of these messages posted to the forum.
    I'm not sure what your getting at. The phone was less than a year old and broke. It was sent to Rim for repair. One week after repair the same problem happens again and now they want to charge me?
    03-19-12 08:29 PM
    My badd, miss interpretation of the problem. I apologize

I was right, give me my apology!!!
    03-19-12 08:33 PM
    My badd, miss interpretation of the problem. I apologize

I was right, give me my apology!!!
    Apology accepted.
    03-19-12 08:42 PM
    Apology accepted.
    LOL....my remarks was directed at alexandros, but OK
    03-19-12 08:47 PM
    Ouch! I feel for you. I have been pretty lucky with all my BlackBerry so far eh *knock on wood*
    03-19-12 09:22 PM
    My boy's 9780 had a problem with the screen (went fuzzy blue) we sent it back under warranty for repair and was disappointed when we were told 30 to 60 days before he would get it back. Five days later we were sent back a brand new 9780.
    Just thought I would share.......
    03-19-12 09:52 PM
    I'm in no way upset that the phone broke, ok maybe alittle, its just they fix it once and then a week later the same thing happens and they start blaming us for breaking it when I know it didn't receive any hard damage.

I'm not an Apple fan, but my son bought himself one of the brand new ipod touches a year or so ago, we couldn't get a case to fit it so he was using the one from the previous generation, which of course apple makes it a different size. So it slips out and smashes the screen. I took it to an apple store in the US and was ready to pay the $150 for the screen replacement. The genius guy, or what ever they're called took it to the back and returned with a brand new one, said no charge this time. So as much as I dislike Apple, they sure swayed me by doing that.

And that ipod rides around in the kids other pocket and it isn't broken.
    I asked someone to take a photo for me on my iPhone 4 and they dropped it cracking the front glass so I went into an apple store after AT&T said they wouldnt do anything. The apple store was packed but I was surprised they asked me to make an appointment a couple hours later. I was just on lunch so I couldn't make it back. Same thing happened the next day so I just asked the guy making the appointments if he could just tell me what they are gonna say and he said it costs 149 to get a new phone. I heard they stopped giving out new ones in October. I just got my first BB and haven't had any problems yet so I can't comment on bb service but thats my anecdotal story. Phones break.
    03-20-12 01:26 AM
    If I have a problem wih my phone I call the carrier and they send me a new refurb next day, I keep the battery and the battery cover from the old one before giving it to the courier.

By the way, do you think Apple was giving out new phones? Lol, they were refurbs.
    03-20-12 02:29 AM
    If I have a problem wih my phone I call the carrier and they send me a new refurb next day, I keep the battery and the battery cover from the old one before giving it to the courier.

By the way, do you think Apple was giving out new phones? Lol, they were refurbs.
    In a lot of cases they are new phones. Especially when they've only just released a model and there's been no returns yet.

Apple have the best customer service I've ever seen - anywhere. Not just in the gadget industry.
    03-20-12 03:23 AM

Well this was an ipod and it was brand new.
    03-20-12 07:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD