Just tried opening Google Maps while I'm inside my house today and surprisingly it managed to lock to satellite (3m accuracy). This is v. good!

I thought GPS only work outdoor or is there a special BB method of working out the location?
    06-13-08 06:26 PM
    Were you near any windows?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-08 08:40 PM
    It depends on your roof and your GPS. My Garmin Forerunner will lock on indoors in most single story dwellings, unless they have a metal roof. That's good that your Curve will. It should work very well in your car in that case.

06-13-08 09:00 PM
    Isn't Google Maps uses cell towers to triangulate your location (without the aid of GPS)? Linky
    06-13-08 09:07 PM
    Google Maps can triangulate from cell towers indoors as well. But if he's getting 3-m accuracy, that's from the GPS. Cell tower triangulation is not that good.
    06-13-08 09:22 PM
    Te precision of google is around 1700 meters.
    06-13-08 09:40 PM
    1700-m is typical for triangulation, though here on the central Florida coast I have seen 5000-m. With my Freedom Keychain 2000 gps, google typically reports 3-m accuracy.

06-13-08 10:08 PM
    Google Maps can triangulate from cell towers indoors as well. But if he's getting 3-m accuracy, that's from the GPS. Cell tower triangulation is not that good.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me Jeff. Learn something new everyday here.

EDITED: Actually I just tried it on my Curve and got a 3m accuracy inside a building with no sky insight. lol Oh well, this thing probably isn't accurate anyway.
    Last edited by Edd; 06-14-08 at 12:18 AM.
    06-14-08 12:08 AM
    Both my TomTom and my Freedom gps puck can get satellite readings in my home on the 2nd floor. Asphalt shingle roof/plaster/lathe walls with reasonable window to south. The Freedom seems to keep the lock even when walking downstairs in my home once it has locked onto satellites. Neither will work in my office on the top floor.

If it says "3 meters" it probably is getting good reception and will be close to that.
    06-14-08 09:59 AM
    Yeah, mine works indoors as well, but I do notice my position will sometimes drift away from where I actually am if I'm inside a building (must be interference). When I step outside, though, it locks in and is accurate to a meter or less. I stood in front of my mailbox with my BB, and Google Maps put the dot EXACTLY where I was. I'm impressed.

06-14-08 03:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD