At least this is the word from an internal memo at our company. See below!

"Blackberry is close to collapse, the Android operating system is now leading the market, and the iPhone remains the leader on Enterprise market. Microsoft bought Nokia, Google bought Motorola and is now selling it to Lenovo, and Samsung just released its own operating system: Tizen. Change is afoot for "our company's" mobile phone environment too!"

See, it's this kinda mentality and blatant ignorance that is shooting holes in the ship that is Blackberry. Our company has migrated from BB's to iPhones over the last two years. We just merged with a company that was exclusively BB (25,000 BB's globally) and now, since BB is "close to collapse", everyone is getting an iPhone or an Android device.

Add to that the general hysteria now created in the minds of over 65,000 employees, who will spread this garbage to 10 friends and family members, who will in turn share with 5 people, who will in turn spread this to..."oh, you get the picture!" That is public perception spread around the world that further damages the reputation and brand of BB. When it's all said and done, that could amount to over 1 million people who will take this as truth when it's anything but!

No one can fault a company for switching from one tried and true product to the latest, greatest and popular choices, but c'mon, let's not lie about it. Get the facts straight!

Go BB!
    spiculated likes this.
    03-11-14 11:20 AM
    I dunno I'd refer to it as blatant ingorance. The memo doesn't state that Blackberry is going to collapse, or that a collapse is imminent. It just states that it is close to a collapse. Unfortunately, that's not an inaccurate statement. There's a real possibility that they can recover, and the good people at BBRY are doing whatever they can to make it happen. But you have to recognize that there is a moderate amount of uncertainty. A company that relies upon BB devices would be remiss to not take that into consideration.
    earlym, richardat, JeepBB and 4 others like this.
    03-11-14 11:29 AM
    The thread title is misleading. There is no doubt that BBRY as a company is not doing well and has its challenges, but to say it is about to collapse without providing any hard evidence is doing everyone here a disservice.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    03-11-14 11:31 AM
    Have you contacted BlackBerry's legal department? That could be slander.
    Nope.

1. Slader is a false spoken statement.
    2. Libel is a published statement. This was from an internal memo.

An easy defense would be to say that JC just said, publicly, that there was a 50% chance that Blackberry wouldn't make it.
    soren203 and David in Durham like this.
    03-11-14 11:36 AM

No one can fault a company for switching from one tried and true product to the latest, greatest and popular choices, but c'mon, let's not lie about it. Get the facts straight!

Go BB!
    "Blackberry is close to collapse, the Android operating system is now leading the market, and the iPhone remains the leader on Enterprise market. Microsoft bought Nokia, Google bought Motorola and is now selling it to Lenovo, and Samsung just released its own operating system: Tizen. Change is afoot for "our company's" mobile phone environment too!"

Lies? Slander? Which part? The statement quoted above is literally just a recitation of facts.

the Android operating system is now leading the market, *fact*
    and the iPhone remains the leader on Enterprise market. *fact*
    Microsoft bought Nokia, *fact*
    Google bought Motorola and is now selling it to Lenovo, *fact*
    and Samsung just released its own operating system: Tizen. *fact*
    Change is afoot for "our company's" mobile phone environment too! *Assuming that the anonymous author is in the know about company policy - fact*

I suppose the bone of contention is the first phrase "Blackberry is close to collapse". Look at the market share trends for the past few years, and you can argue that BlackBerry has already collapsed. There are no indications that the trend is reversing. "Close to collapse" is actually a kind characterization, because to most outside observers, it has already collapsed (past tense).
    03-11-14 11:36 AM
    It's an internal memo (from a never to be named company) that reflects public sentiment. BlackBerry's legal team would not have a leg to stand on.
    kevinnugent, schmeat and MERCDROID like this.
    03-11-14 11:39 AM
    Dunno you could argue slander/libel. After all, BBRY actually is close to collapse. It's not a certainty, but realistically, they are close.

I'd like to see BlackBerry get aggressive with this kind of attack. Loose the legal dogs to hurt people in the bank account.
    Taking legal action against those of whom they'd rather retain as customers would not be a good idea. Quickest way to ensure they won't ever be a BB customer again, would be to sue them and build a frightening amount of animosity. The PR disaster would be staggering.
    Fidel Mercado and MERCDROID like this.
    03-11-14 11:40 AM
    Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm looking for something, so I see it.
    But it seems that every third thread started here has the word "OFFICIAL" in it when that is never the case.
    03-11-14 11:47 AM
    Now the title reflects what it really is.
    03-11-14 11:52 AM
    This is exactly why Mr.Chen and his team are making the rounds to enterprises. Unfortunately, these types of letters have been spreading over the last few years. If not, BlackBerry would be in a safe happy zone that they enjoyed in the glory days. Far from it, they have to fight to keep every single account let alone get new ones. Tough job with BlackBerry's perception right now.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-14 11:54 AM
    How is "BlackBerry is close to collapse" in any way not a false statement? How can anybody look at facts and seriously come to this conclusion? Maybe it doesn't rise to the level of libel, but it sure as heck isn't an accurate assessment of reality.
    brout and bungaboy like this.
    03-11-14 11:56 AM
    I dunno I'd refer to it as blatant ingorance. The memo doesn't state that Blackberry is going to collapse, or that a collapse is imminent. It just states that it is close to a collapse. Unfortunately, that's not an inaccurate statement. There's a real possibility that they can recover, and the good people at BBRY are doing whatever they can to make it happen. But you have to recognize that there is a moderate amount of uncertainty. A company that relies upon BB devices would be remiss to not take that into consideration.
    I would actually say DenverRalphy that in terms of mobile phones (which is/WAS BB) they already collapsed. That's a done deal. The finances and marketshare have clearly reflected this for....months, if not years, but now, even the illusion for those who don't know anything about the company, is gone: A majority of employees fired, no more competitive products, no widespread carrier/developer/retail support, CEO gone in disgrace, borrowing money to continue, the sell-off of assets, the BB we knew IS gone. I know people deny it here...and wax on about the super flagships they expect, the sudden marketshare blitzes they forsee, and seem to genuinely ponder why BB isn't doing this but...well that's really off in la la land. I can understand why a super fan who has never read anything off CB forums/media/reports, might wonder such a thing ie. WHY isn't BB releasing superphones? Why didn't they push the z30?? But I can't fathom how people who know, or at least have been told, the real situation about BB, watched the events of the last year, can just carry on like nothing happened...but they do :-o....and I predicted they would but still...to see it, is strange. Meanwhile even some of the most ardent fans of a year ago, have had to take at least some degree of reality check - amazingly - some of them are now the moderates/negative nellies! LOL

I agree with you, and always have, that there is a chance the company can go on in name, and carve out niches in other spaces (though this isn't for certain either), and perhaps maintain some very limited presence in phones, but in the terms the memo is talking about ie. iphone, samsung, nokia, MS....BB is already gone. In that sense, any derision I would have towards the writer would be the opposite, as in: oh really Einstein?

And yes...as a corporation.....you would be...insane not to realize this, and be planning around it. The real key now is: can Chen find some way to defend what remains of their business space? This won't be easy, but it is, one of the best options. My real question for him would be: what exactly do you think you can defend, and how big a company do you envision it sustaining?
    Last edited by richardat; 03-11-14 at 12:08 PM.
    03-11-14 11:56 AM
    i wish you all can see me rolling my eyes right now...
    03-11-14 11:58 AM
    If you think Facebook is important then get Apple! For Business BlackBerry is best.
    brout likes this.
    03-11-14 12:03 PM
    Now hear this!!!

This memo has been retracted from internal notice (ROTFL)!!!

It's misleading and downright incorrect as far as I am concerned. But, really, what gets me is that, the first portion was TOTALLY unnecessary! I was astonished to see that this is the leading paragraph to a change in corporate mobile smartphone policy.

Why "bash" Blackberry? Just give us the information that things are changing and offer our choices (which they did). I felt it was inappropriate to do so and someone else did so too, because the article was just taken down.

LOL!

Go BB!
    Last edited by earlym; 03-11-14 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Keyboard misque
    03-11-14 12:14 PM
    For such a large company, that is a really informal memo to be going around. Presumably, somebody got upset and had it removed, as appropriate. They can absolutely tell their employees that they're switching from BB - they just don't need to inject opinion into an internal policy memo.
    earlym likes this.
    03-11-14 01:13 PM
    Who was the author of this? At least if they want to share information they should have gotten all the facts correct. It just shows how much your company knows about technology. Let me give are they still using windows Xp?

Posted via CB10
    earlym likes this.
    03-11-14 01:17 PM

See, it's this kinda mentality and blatant ignorance that is shooting holes in the ship that is Blackberry. Our company has migrated from BB's to iPhones over the last two years. We just merged with a company that was exclusively BB (25,000 BB's globally) and now, since BB is "close to collapse", everyone is getting an iPhone or an Android device.

Add to that the general hysteria now created in the minds of over 65,000 employees, who will spread this garbage to 10 friends and family members, who will in turn share with 5 people, who will in turn spread this to..."oh, you get the picture!" That is public perception spread around the world that further damages the reputation and brand of BB. When it's all said and done, that could amount to over 1 million people who will take this as truth when it's anything but!

Go BB!
    Do you realize you can be fired and sued for posting this here? that this is a breach of the contract between your employer and you? If not I would suggest taking this posting down right away. While you still have a job to report to. Honestly I would not hire someone such as yourself as internal memo's are not to be trusted in your hands. What a foolish thing to do.
    Bbnivende, earlym and bbq10l like this.
    03-11-14 01:26 PM
    That's a totally twisted logic to defend a damaging remark. Every business has inherent risk. Something unforeseen can happen at a stable company which could jeopardize its business. Aliens might take all the top executives of fortune 500 companies and all businesses in this world might collapse. Lot of things can happen but that doesn't mean you go about giving slandering remarks about a business which could further harm its existing business.
    03-11-14 01:38 PM
    [I] the iPhone remains the leader on Enterprise market. *fact*
    Could you kindly explain or cite a source?

Posted via CB10
    walt63 likes this.
    03-11-14 01:40 PM
    I'd 'reply to all' and publicly smack down the ***** who wrote that 'memo'.
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    03-11-14 01:42 PM

Go BB!
    Are you sure your company is not in the business of paid trolling. In any case I am surprised at these doom and gloom business stories about Blackberry considering recent security issues iPhones and the fact Blackberry is primarily moving towards being a software company. People use their phones for everything these days, from personal confidential stuff to all kind of financial transactions. I am surprised people still use iPhones with all the security holes it has. I wouldn't touch that thing with a two feet pole in public unsecured network.
    03-11-14 01:46 PM
    Could you kindly explain or cite a source?
    Try the following link: Let me google that for you
    03-11-14 01:48 PM
    Try the following link: Let me google that for you
    Good one fanboy. That data is only for enterprises using 'Good'. Of coure, iPhone might have more market share there. You have to understand that Blackberry still has three times the number of customers compared to Good, AirWatch and MobileIron combined. It amazes me how CraApple fanboys try to make anything iPhone look much better than it actually is.
    03-11-14 02:00 PM
    That's a totally twisted logic to defend a damaging remark. Every business has inherent risk. Something unforeseen can happen at a stable company which could jeopardize its business. Aliens might take all the top executives of fortune 500 companies and all businesses in this world might collapse. Lot of things can happen but that doesn't mean you go about giving slandering remarks about a business which could further harm its existing business.
    Oh c'mon... seriously? Sure, Aliens may swoop in and steal all the executives... but somehow I believe most people would find that an acceptable risk. You can't juxtapose hyperbole or unforeseen circumstances with common sense. The position Blackberry is in can hardly be described as reliably tenable, the odds aren't in their favor, and there is recognizable evidence to back it up. Even BBRY's own CEO openly describes their position as uncertain. Have the last 3-4 years suddenly become irrelevant?

Sure, it sucks to hear when somebody makes a disparaging remark about Blackberry and their current state of affairs. To clamp so boldly to any form of denial simply for the sake of loyalty, is just counter-productive.
    03-11-14 02:11 PM
84 123 ...