Different places draw the line in different ways regarding touching the phone depending on how difficult they want to make it for police to write tickets. In many places it's legal to type on your phone when the car isn't moving.

The bluetooth devices that connect to the aux input all work basically the same way. You plug the device into the aux input of your dash unit and pair the device to your smartphone. Then you can hear the audio and perhaps talk via your dash unit speakers and microphone. As I mentioned, before, voice recognition doesn't work as well through bluetooth in my experience. When you leave the car it becomes unpaired and you have to push the button on the bluetooth disc to re-connect to your smartphone. You also need to have your dash input set to AUX.

If you're not allowed to touch your phone at all then you will want something like Siri that will wake up when you say "Hey Siri" to select music, select a destination, or even to send a text.
    12-29-14 09:52 AM
    I just ordered the Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit. It will be here tomorrow. There were some very informative reviews on the amazon site and the great majority were positive. Many said the speakerphone quality was better than the car's native Bluetooth. <shrug> We'll see, I'll report back.

My understanding is that you're not allowed to touch your phone at all, and that includes no dialing when at a stop light.

I don't care about listening to music on my phone, in fact, I have NO music on my phone at all. In the car, I only ever listen to NPR. I have the VLingo app on my BlackBerry, and for the little I've used it for making calls, it's pretty good. I don't ever plan to get an iPhone. As I said in my OP, when this contract runs out, I'm going to get the BlackBerry Classic. I like the physical keyboard, and I don't need 500,000 apps.I only use my phone for talking, texting, email, and GPS (for traffic problems). I rarely even use it for internet.
    12-29-14 10:15 AM
    I found a ton of hearing aid compatible wireless units when I search Google or Amazon.

Have you looked into something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009CF...UvbUpU11207063

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 10:16 AM
    That type of unit does not work with the kind of hearing aids I have. They have listening devices like that at my synagogue, and I asked my audiologist why they don't work, and she said my type of hearing aids are not compatible.

Anyway, even having earpieces that work doesn't solve the main problem: phone use has to be HANDSFREE, which means no touching the phone to dial. Yes, you can touch a button to activate, but no dialing. So even having a great earpiece, in and of itself, would not solve the problem.
    12-29-14 10:26 AM
    I thought I remembered this right, Legacy has auto answer for Bluetooth and wired headsets. My city is going handsfree starting Jan 1 - suggestions for Bluetooth car kit-imageuploadedbycb-forums1419881049.131258.jpg
    12-29-14 01:24 PM
    That type of unit does not work with the kind of hearing aids I have. They have listening devices like that at my synagogue, and I asked my audiologist why they don't work, and she said my type of hearing aids are not compatible.

Anyway, even having earpieces that work doesn't solve the main problem: phone use has to be HANDSFREE, which means no touching the phone to dial. Yes, you can touch a button to activate, but no dialing. So even having a great earpiece, in and of itself, would not solve the problem.
    Yes, you can dial with just a button, set you speed dials, you just have to hold a button down.
    12-29-14 01:30 PM
    From the ordinance:

HAND-HELD MOBILE COMMUNICATION DEVICE means a text messaging
    device or other electronic, two-way communication device that
    uses a commercial mobile service, as defined by 47 U.S.C.� 332, that is
    designed to receive and transmit voice communication, text message or
    pictorial communication, or both, whether by internet or other electronic
    means. The term includes a mobile telephone, and a personal digital
    assistant (PDA).

HANDS-FREE MOBILE TELEPHONE means a mobile telephone that
    has an internal feature or function or that is equipped with an attachment
    or addition, whether or not permanently part of the mobile telephone, by
    which a user engages in a call without the use of either hand (or prosthetic
    device or aid in the case of a physically disabled person) whether or not
    the use of either hand (or prosthetic device) is necessary to activate or
    deactivate the mobile telephone.

<snip>

A person commits an offense if the person uses a hand-held mobile
    communication device to 1) engage in a call, 2) send, read, or write a text
    message, 3) view pictures or written text whether transmitted by internet or other
    electronic means, 4) engage in gaming, or 5) engage in any other use of the device
    while operating a moving motor vehicle.
    I take the last paragraph to mean that HAND-HELD devices (as defined in the first paragraph) are prohibited. (Except in case of emergency as defined elsewhere in the ordinance.)

I take the second paragraph to mean that you can touch your HANDS-FREE mobile phone to turn it on or off, but not to do anything else.

I'm not being nit-picky because I've never sinned and pledge never to sin again. But if and when I do sin, I want to know exactly what rule I'm breaking. I think speed-dialing and using your speakerphone is a violation of this ordinance. Not saying I would never do it, but if the cop pulls me over, I know in advance that I won't have a leg to stand on.

I got all my legal training from The Paper Chase, Law & Order. Oh yeah, and I'm halfway through the first season of The Good Wife.
    12-29-14 02:27 PM
    From the ordinance:

I take the last paragraph to mean that HAND-HELD devices (as defined in the first paragraph) are prohibited. (Except in case of emergency as defined elsewhere in the ordinance.)

I take the second paragraph to mean that you can touch your HANDS-FREE mobile phone to turn it on or off, but not to do anything else.

I'm not being nit-picky because I've never sinned and pledge never to sin again. But if and when I do sin, I want to know exactly what rule I'm breaking. I think speed-dialing and using your speakerphone is a violation of this ordinance. Not saying I would never do it, but if the cop pulls me over, I know in advance that I won't have a leg to stand on.

I got all my legal training from The Paper Chase, Law & Order. Oh yeah, and I'm halfway through the first season of The Good Wife.
    I think you're overreacting, if they meant what you think they would've said touch free not hands free.

Take CB radio,a they're legal if they're mounted, illegal if you use a handheld.

What's the difference between pressing a radio station preset button and speed dialling?
    12-29-14 02:37 PM
    I think you're overreacting, if they meant what you think they would've said touch free not hands free.

Take CB radio,a they're legal if they're mounted, illegal if you use a handheld.

What's the difference between pressing a radio station preset button and speed dialling?
    I think your opinion is just that. Doesn't really help the OP.

OP, call your local police station and ask, to find out how the guys enforcing the law are interpreting it. This site really doesn't cut it for such specifically local information.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    12-29-14 02:43 PM
    I think your opinion is just that. Doesn't really help the OP.

OP, call your local police station and ask, to find out how the guys enforcing the law are interpreting it. This site really doesn't cut it for such specifically local information.
    I am a former policeman lol
    12-29-14 02:43 PM
    I am a former policeman lol
    Heh. Not in OP's town though?! Really, safest to ask in one's own playground.
    12-29-14 02:48 PM
    I kinda agree with TGR1. Not because there are no options available, but because I don't think any recommendations here will be sufficient for what he believes he needs. Better to ask local authorities and close the thread.

The OP is not interested in in-vehicle or mountable speakers for clarity. Not interested in in-the-ear solutions for valid reasons only to be mentioned much later, and not interested in viable options made specifically for the hearing impaired. Not much more we can do. Just let his local authorities explain what we have been saying all along. It will probably be received better from them.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 03:06 PM
    I kinda agree with TGR1. Not because there are no options available, but because I don't think any recommendations here will be sufficient for what he believes he needs. Better to ask local authorities and close the thread.
    The purpose of the thread was to inquire about people's experiences with hands-free devices. The thread's only been open for ONE DAY. There might be someone on jury duty who would like to weigh in tomorrow.

The OP is not interested in in-vehicle or mountable speakers for clarity.
    Where did I say that? I'm interested.

Not interested in in-the-ear solutions for valid reasons only to be mentioned much later,
    MUCH later??? I mentioned that I wear hearing aids in my first reply. I forgot to mention in my OP.

and not interested in viable options made specifically for the hearing impaired.
    My hearing aid is not compatible with the device linked. I'm not ready to spend thousands for a bluetooth compatible hearing aid.

Not much more we can do.
    You could cease posting if you have nothing to add except critical comments.

Just let his local authorities explain what we have been saying all along. It will probably be received better from them.

Posted via CB10
    "What we have been saying all along"??? Color me mystified at why you are so cranky. If this thread annoys you, stop reading it.
    12-29-14 04:40 PM
    You need to relax. Everyone only suggested what was thought to be helpful to you. If those do not meet your criteria, I think it would be best to find out exactly what is permissible with your local law enforcement agency. You can't beat blood out of a turnip.

Even if others come here with anything else, it would still need to conform with the code you're interpreting... That would be clarified by your local law jurisdiction. It's the only way to be sure.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 05:13 PM
    This looks promising. Thanks.

I know there are a lot of options. I came here for reviews of products to help me sort through all the options.

This looks like basically a speakerphone. My understanding of this ordinance is that you are not allowed to touch your phone at all, so just an enhanced speakerphone is not going to satisfy the requirement.

Which one do you use?

I don't think so. I think it has to be 100% hands free.

Also, I should have mentioned that I wear hearing aids, so a headset with earbuds that go into your ears is not a good option for me. My ears are already full of stuff. I know there are bluetooth-friendly hearing aids, but this pair of hearing aids cost me $3,600 and I'm not anxious to replace them yet. Anyway, I think I need more than a headset-- phone use must be totally hands free.

And this is helpful to me in my quest for a bluetooth device...how?

This is a very helpful and yet discouraging post. You are right, that voice recognition is going to be important. I do not expect the police to give anyone a break if they see them dialing a phone. The articles I've read say you must not be holding or touching your phone unless you are parked. You can't dial or touch your phone, even for GPS, even while stopped at a stoplight.

The Belkin thing looks very interesting. Thanks for that, Early2Bed.

Thanks for all the comments.
    My Jabra Freeway is basically a speakerphone. BUT, on OS10 devices you can activate your phone calls button pressing one button on the Freeway and use BlackBerry Voice Control to make calls hands free. Answer calls by simply saying answer and calls automatically disconnect when when the other party hangs up. No hands. Biggest issue is that Voice Control on OS10.2.1 and prior is hit and miss. More miss than hit, on my case. BlackBerry Assistant on OS 10.3.1 is supposed to be better. If you can hear with your hearing aids, you can hear this speaker.

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    12-29-14 06:59 PM
    Good suggestion. I could be wrong but the "pressing of a button" solution was already offered and disregarded. The OP should contact his local authorities for clarification of the legal code he is referencing and wants to adhere to, IMO.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 07:07 PM
    Good suggestion. I could be wrong but the "pressing of a button" solution was already offered and disregarded. The OP should contact his local authorities for clarification of the legal code he is referencing and wants to adhere to, IMO.

Posted via CB10
    If you were replying to my post, you are pushing the button on the Freeway not on the phone.

12-29-14 07:23 PM
    Wouldn't use an ear piece because of cancer. I got Lymphoma (non curable type) from use a Motorola Brick Phone back in 1998.

Sent from my BlackBerry
    Seriously?
    12-29-14 07:23 PM
    I've had a plantronics discovery 965 for years and it's awesome. Voice dial works great and sound quality is superb.
    12-29-14 07:25 PM
    I'm sorry, just had to post this link... Nice red BB Pearl too.

12-29-14 08:06 PM
    If you were replying to my post, you are pushing the button on the Freeway not on the phone.

As stated. I thought it was a good suggestion. But after you offered your solution, the OP was not interested after looking into it himself...

This looks like basically a speakerphone. My understanding of this ordinance is that you are not allowed to touch your phone at all, so just an enhanced speakerphone is not going to satisfy the requirement.
    Whether he paid attention to what he was looking into is another matter. I personally can clearly see in the demo video on the site where the unit is pressed to initiate a call, so I'm not sure what we can offer unless his local authorities provides him some clarification, since he believes he cannot use your solution as well.

IDK. But he appears to want to comply with the local code, but may be putting the cart before the horse by looking for a unit before knowing exactly what he can do. Sometimes self interpretation may not be the real legal answer.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 08:08 PM
    As stated. I thought it was a good suggestion. But after you offered your solution, the OP was not interested after looking into it himself...

Whether he paid attention to what he was looking into is another matter. I personally can clearly see in the demo video on the site where the unit is pressed to initiate a call, so I'm not sure what we can offer unless his local authorities provides him some clarification, since he believes he cannot use your solution as well.

IDK. But he appears to want to comply with the local code, but may be putting the cart before the horse by looking for a unit before knowing exactly what he can do. Sometimes self interpretation may not be the real legal answer.

Posted via CB10
    That's very true. Plus things like this don't just materialize out of the blue, on three days notice. A whole lot of procrastination going on and then expecting an answer from us but not willing to help himself. Most all the suggestions were possible solutions. But he's apparently in panic mode now. Best advice is probably to turn the phone off and not use it, period. Or pull over and stop when he needs to make a call. At least until he gets clarification from the local authorities.

12-29-14 08:48 PM
    In three days my city is enacting a new ordinance banning all handheld cell phones. My understanding is that you will get a ticket if the phone is in your hand, not just for calling and texting, but even for GPS. This is the new law:

have a BB9930 and plan to get the BB Classic when this contract is up. I drive a 2007 Saturn VUE-- very non-techie vehicle.

Can anyone suggest equipment I can purchase and install that will qualify under the bolded items? It sounds to me like speakerphone isn't enough. And anyway, calls on speakerphone usually sound crappy. I will sharply curtail my phone calling while driving, but I'd still like it as an option, and I'd really like to be able to use GPS. I don't need it for directions, but mostly to avoid traffic jams.
    If you don't have a GPS, newer GPS devices connect to Bluetooth. Might want to check that out.

Posted by Rosco from my VZW Q10
    12-29-14 09:39 PM
    Article in the paper today cleared things up:

"The ordinance lets motorists make calls with hands-free technology, such as Bluetooth and speakerphone features. Drivers are allowed a one-button push to make, receive and cancel calls. He also noted drivers can dictate text messages, provided they do so hands-free."

Thanks for the discussion.
    12-30-14 07:18 AM
    Article in the paper today cleared things up:

"The ordinance lets motorists make calls with hands-free technology, such as Bluetooth and speakerphone features. Drivers are allowed a one-button push to make, receive and cancel calls. He also noted drivers can dictate text messages, provided they do so hands-free."

Thanks for the discussion.
    Now that's cleared up I would hold on to your 9930, get a smart USB cradle for it. Between that, auto answer and speed dials it's pretty much all you'll ever need to keep you safe in the road.

I can't remember the make of mine unfortunately but I'll attach a couple of photos plus some info about the smart docks which are no longer available on BB10 devices:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...1440744_11.jsp

My city is going handsfree starting Jan 1 - suggestions for Bluetooth car kit-imageuploadedbycb-forums1419946027.076096.jpgMy city is going handsfree starting Jan 1 - suggestions for Bluetooth car kit-imageuploadedbycb-forums1419946044.473222.jpg
    12-30-14 07:27 AM
52 123