I would like to share with you my thoughts on what the BB10 Curve smartphone could feature.

1. Same screen size and basic design of the Q10 but with half the PPI 360/360
    2. 1 GHZ Dual Core processor
    3. 1 GB Ram
    4. Optimized BlackBerry 10 with reduced features to accommodate smooth running on lower ram ie (4 live Active frames instead of 8)
    5. 1650 Battery (removable)
    6. micro SD Card slot
    7. micro USB (NO Dedicated HDMI out port)
    8. Curve style Qwerty Keyboard and build quality
    9. �249 (Sim free/No contract)
    10. Release date, July 31th 2013

What do you Guys/Gals think?
    03-27-13 06:51 AM
    That they need to stick to two devices for now.

Posted via CB10
    keypad likes this.
    03-27-13 06:52 AM
    As a developer, I don't like the idea of having to support another screen size. BlackBerry has stated that they are standardizing on two screen resolutions. By doing so, they help out developers, and keep fragmentation down. I would think that a Curve model would still have a 720x720 screen.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 06:55 AM
    I think the screen resolution would be the same as the Q10, as mentioned they wish to standardise it so that its easier for developers.

For specs wise, i think 1 GHZ and 1GB of RAM would not be sufficient, considering on a fresh boot, my Z10 already uses 700-800MB of RAM. Instead of spending the time to optimise BB10 for a lower end device, i would rather they spend that time on improving BB10 as much as they can, ironing bugs, adding new features, etc. If they have another optimised version just for lower end models, it would require a lot more extra work.
    keypad and Alex_613 like this.
    03-27-13 07:10 AM
    I think the screen resolution would be the same as the Q10, as mentioned they wish to standardise it so that its easier for developers.

For specs wise, i think 1 GHZ and 1GB of RAM would not be sufficient, considering on a fresh boot, my Z10 already uses 700-800MB of RAM. Instead of spending the time to optimise BB10 for a lower end device, i would rather they spend that time on improving BB10 as much as they can, ironing bugs, adding new features, etc. If they have another optimised version just for lower end models, it would require a lot more extra work.
    I agree, take apples approach of an older model becomes the lower end device, right now ficus on apps and making bb10 the best it can be, and marketing, they gave something special on their hands. No need to muck it up with adding more devices, focus on the prize.

Posted via CB10
    keypad likes this.
    03-27-13 07:24 AM

True. Memory prices are very low compared to engineering costs to optimize BlackBerry OS 10 specifically for a low-end smartphone. Realistically, the BlackBerry Z10 could have shipped with 4GB internal memory to future-proof itself extending its life beyond the typical 3-5 years for most of BlackBerry's previous smartphones. The constant churning of new devices in the smartphone space is counter-productive because it prematurely forces device obsolescence in the eyes of application developers. People keep desktop and notebook computers for a decade before thinking about buying a replacement. What is wrong with a smartphone lasting 10 years with new applications released throughout its life cycle as well as system software updates?
    keypad likes this.
    03-27-13 07:54 AM
    well my guess is continued income through multiple underpowered models much like apple and sony.
    These companies are made for and controlled by the shareholders, consumers are the cash cow, MOOOOOOOOOOOOWW
    03-27-13 08:47 AM
    I would like to share with you my thoughts on what the BB10 Curve smartphone could feature.

1. Same screen size and basic design of the Q10 but with half the PPI 360/360
    2. 1 GHZ Dual Core processor
    3. 1 GB Ram
    4. Optimized BlackBerry 10 with reduced features to accommodate smooth running on lower ram ie (4 live Active frames instead of 8)
    5. 1650 Battery (removable)
    6. micro SD Card slot
    7. micro USB (NO Dedicated HDMI out port)
    8. Curve style Qwerty Keyboard and build quality
    9. �249 (Sim free/No contract)
    10. Release date, July 31th 2013

What do you Guys/Gals think?
    The posters here by in large do not live in China, India or Brazil. The three largest markets for cheaper grade smartphones. BB10 badly needs to have a lower end touch phone device in the $200 range.
    These markets are not asking for QWERTY models. They want touch phones just like every where else. Perhaps licensing is the way to go.

The UK seems to have embraced the Curve for reasons that are unknown to me.
    keypad likes this.
    03-27-13 10:46 AM
    That's why I say take the Apple approach berry needs to secure its bread and butter the business community again, as this year's z10 is replaced with a better model, let this model become the low end, emerging model phone, I do not believe berry needs to make a cheap variant, I would focus on apps and OS and making a limited number of devices.

Posted via CB10
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    03-27-13 11:17 AM
    Thankyou.
    Your comments are very logical but i have witnessed the tech companies do some very illogical things in recent years.
    Just to confirm your points, BlackBerry should not release any devices less powerful than the Z10/Q10 for BlackBerry 10, they should only release more powerful upgrades and then use the former models as lower cost alternatives for budget minded consumers going forward?
    03-27-13 11:56 AM
    BlackBerry has a greater chance of making money if they license out the hardware for lower-end devices and charge a licensing fee.

Just don't have the economies of scale to mass-produce lower-end phones and turn a profit on those devices.
    03-27-13 12:44 PM
    Lenovo would seem to be of great assistance here.
    03-27-13 01:01 PM
    Thankyou.
    Your comments are very logical but i have witnessed the tech companies do some very illogical things in recent years.
    Just to confirm your points, BlackBerry should not release any devices less powerful than the Z10/Q10 for BlackBerry 10, they should only release more powerful upgrades and then use the former models as lower cost alternatives for budget minded consumers going forward?
    That would be my approach a low cost variant isn't worth the return on investment, let older hardware, which invariably becomes cheaper hold that role, as new R&D, or production changes required. It's much better use of berry resources and supply chain.

Posted via CB10
    keypad likes this.
    03-27-13 02:58 PM
    Most of the 76 million users are budget phones. So you bright sparks want to cut them off.
    Thank goodness Noone here is in the business

Posted via CB10
    keypad likes this.
    03-29-13 07:25 AM
    Most of the 76 million users are budget phones. So you bright sparks want to cut them off.

Posted via CB10
    Finally!!!!! One person!

Posted via CB10
    keypad likes this.
    03-29-13 08:48 AM
    I've already talked with a buddy of mine who works for BB about this phone, from what he's said so far:

Same size screen, but I think he said lower quality/resolution.
    No HDMI out.
    2GB ram (All BB10 phones WILL have 2gb as the OS needs it)
    Non-removable battery (but he believes it will be the same size)
    Same keyboard
    Slightly slower processor (I think).

Overall it didn't seem too bad. Will probably retail for half the price of the current Q10 (so ~300$).
    keypad likes this.
    03-29-13 09:59 AM

Posted via CB10
    No we are recommending using older models, instead of investing research in cheaper products, Ie thus years q10 and z10, become next year's low end market product

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 10:41 PM
    I feel like July "31th" might be the most farfetched of your predictions
    keypad likes this.
    03-31-13 10:46 PM
    It probably won't have a removable battery.

Posted via CB10 from my Zed
    keypad likes this.
    04-01-13 07:38 AM
    well most Blackberry's to date do contain a removable battery, so that would be a very different strategy for BlackBerry if they did not include one in a BB10 Curve.
    04-02-13 12:19 PM
    well most Blackberry's to date do contain a removable battery, so that would be a very different strategy for BlackBerry if they did not include one in a BB10 Curve.
    To cut down on costs it will probably be a unified plastic body. It's a low end device, it makes sense to do it that way. It will run bb10 so it won't need battery pulls.

It might also instill some confidence to users who are used to daily battery pulls, and users who have moved away from BlackBerry. They'll be holding a BlackBerry smartphone that you can't remove the battery from, that's different, and shows how solid the OS must be.

Just some mild speculation.

Posted via CB10 from my Zed
    keypad likes this.
    04-02-13 05:46 PM
    I believe BlackBerry had intentions of releasing a non-removable battery Z10, but focus groups made then change their mind.

I suspect the Z10 to be the last all touch BlackBerry to have a removable battery.
    keypad likes this.
    04-02-13 06:54 PM
    I believe a low end device is needed. Remember its not just for people to buy phones blackberry wants to offer services which will be paid for i believe.

America won't see the low end phones but probably what other posters were saying about the older models becoming cheaper to buy like apple. Maybe a mid range phone and a phablet would get released in America and other jphigh end markets.

We need to remember a lot of places you can just pay 200 us and get it on contract you have to pay more than full price. Saw somewhere selling it here (jamaica) for 85,000 which is almost 850 us. Not a lot of people are willing to splash the cash for a phone.
    keypad likes this.
    04-02-13 07:53 PM