BIS is expensive in Singapore for some reason. That's why BB phone are unpopular here.

I must be mistaken then about data being expensive in the US. I read an article from TipB which gave a good breakdown of all the plans and came to that conclusion.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

10-07-11 03:38 AM
    BIS is expensive in Singapore for some reason. That's why BB phone are unpopular here.

I must be mistaken then about data being expensive in the US. I read an article from TipB which gave a good breakdown of all the plans and came to that conclusion.
    That's odd it should be the opposite. Iphone has no compression of data

10-07-11 03:38 AM
    Sorry about the triple post. Mods please delete them

10-07-11 03:39 AM
    wrong...this is where RIM has realized its limitations and probably decided to up the game in the premium market with the soon to be announced BBX phones..
    If RIM to want the upscale market fighting with Apple, then what happen to the mass market?? Who is going to serve that market? Maybe to some cheap Chinese phone manufacturers such as ZTE

If the above is true, then this leaves an even bigger opportunity for Apple to create a lower cost iPhone to target to the lower end market. Just like that Apple did to its iPod. First you have iPod, then iPod Mini, then iPod Nano, then iPod Shuffle..

Btw, QNX or BBX (or whatever you call it) will be the next OS powering Blackberries. BBX is going to replace ALL new blackberries from the cheap BBs to the expensive BBs to even the Tablet. Basically, they believe QNX will be the foundation of all RIM's product.

- Charles
    10-07-11 05:58 AM
    If RIM to want the upscale market fighting with Apple, then what happen to the mass market?? Who is going to serve that market? Maybe to some cheap Chinese phone manufacturers such as ZTE

If the above is true, then this leaves an even bigger opportunity for Apple to create a lower cost iPhone to target to the lower end market. Just like that Apple did to its iPod. First you have iPod, then iPod Mini, then iPod Nano, then iPod Shuffle..

Btw, QNX or BBX (or whatever you call it) will be the next OS powering Blackberries. BBX is going to replace ALL new blackberries from the cheap BBs to the expensive BBs to even the Tablet. Basically, they believe QNX will be the foundation of all RIM's product.

- Charles
    Yes iPhone has always been made in China. BB is pretty good for not going to China with a cheap manufacturer such as ZTE. If they believe that BBX will replace BB OS they are wrong. When they release a phone they should always give the option for downgraded to the latest BB OS. It will make business users happy as well as regular ones.

10-07-11 08:17 AM
    So you are saying each push provider needs different requirements to work and that each one has advantages and disadvantages? That is very interesting.

What I am saying is iOS only supports push for certain providers out of the box. This includes gmail, hotmail and yahoo. Anything on an exchange server is push though. iOS supports exchange.

BIS/BES supports any provider due to RIMs servers. RIMs servers push to you. iOS, Android and WP7 don't run this way, they ave standard data plans. They don't run off a NOC like BB devices so it is different. EAS on all is push though no questions asked.

Push on all devices is reliable IMO. I have used BB, Android and iOS, push is the same on all for me.
    10-07-11 11:59 AM
    What I am saying is iOS only supports push for certain providers out of the box. This includes gmail, hotmail and yahoo. Anything on an exchange server is push though. iOS supports exchange.

BIS/BES supports any provider due to RIMs servers. RIMs servers push to you. iOS, Android and WP7 don't run this way, they ave standard data plans. They don't run off a NOC like BB devices so it is different. EAS on all is push though no questions asked.

Push on all devices is reliable IMO. I have used BB, Android and iOS, push is the same on all for me.
    Today at a party a relative of mine had a samsung android and I remember him pressing refresh...

10-07-11 12:27 PM
    Today at a party a relative of mine had a samsung android and I remember him pressing refresh...

He must of not been using gmail or one of the other supported push providers. If he was using a push provider, then something is wrong with his setup. Same goes for exchange. No need to refresh.

I haven't hit refresh on a device to receive email since 2008.
    10-07-11 12:35 PM
    He must of not been using gmail or one of the other supported push providers. If he was using a push provider, then something is wrong with his setup. Same goes for exchange. No need to refresh.

I haven't hit refresh on a device to receive email since 2008.
    Oh yes. He said that was corporate email. The push for me though has been running for years

10-07-11 01:15 PM
    Oh yes. He said that was corporate email. The push for me though has been running for years

And he has it running through exchange? Kinda odd.
    10-07-11 01:19 PM
    And he has it running through exchange? Kinda odd.
    Yea I was clearly seeing him running MS Exchange mail through his phone. He had a Samsung with the latest Android. Also do you think the release of BIS 4.1 will make the email better?

10-07-11 01:24 PM
    Yea I was clearly seeing him running MS Exchange mail through his phone. He had a Samsung with the latest Android. Also do you think the release of BIS 4.1 will make the email better?

Weird that he isn't getting push. Maybe he should try a different mail app or try to troubleshoot. He shouldn't have to refresh.

I do not know if BIS 4.1 will make email better. I honestly haven't looked at it. I have come to like the way email is handled on Android and iOS better than BBOS though.
    10-07-11 01:53 PM
    So today I arrive in Singapore and I get out of the Changi airport. Walking around the beautiful streets I eye something. Everyone was carrying iPhones! 3G,3GS and even some 4 where everywhere! Almost every single person here was having and carrying an iOS device. I did some exploring to see if I could find a Blackberry because if I saw another one of those iPhones I would go into nervous breakdown. It was terrible. People were still having them everywhere even though prices for the iPhone 4 is somewhere around $1000! Yesterday when I sat down for dinner I finally saw a 9780 which my friend was using. I complimented him because last time I met him he had a 3G iPhone. Now I meet another person who said he had a 9900. Tough luck he was lying because I saw him with an iPhone 4. After nudging and yelling at me I eat and get out and start to walk. As usual I see the iPhones and as I walk I see a Starbucks coffee place. Considering me being a coffee addict I walk in instantly. I finally saw almost everyone having a BB. Thankfully they had one and I saw it and rejoiced! Nobody had an iOS device nor an Android. The odd part was that everyone had a Bold only... I saw a person with the 9000 but most kept the 9700 or 9780. I saw another dude with his wife. They kept 9900s. I was happy in this place I stuck there for a bit. So that's my story in Singapore.
    Although I'm loving it there its so damn alerting to see almost EVERY soul rocking an iOS. I'm hating it and am still not willing to go outside. I can't show off my 9900 because everyone has a freaking iPhone. They have it even though the prices are damn expensive....... What do you guys think?
    The same goes for Korea. Mu son is teaching there and says it is very very dpresssing. BB lost the race there as well. It is not very good. When I was in Amsterdam in April, in some of the trendy cafes outside of the centre of the city, the same thing, all the trendo pecking away on a stupid piece of glass. What is it that just looks so silly about a grown man with an iPhone?
    10-07-11 02:22 PM
    The same goes for Korea. Mu son is teaching there and says it is very very dpresssing. BB lost the race there as well. It is not very good. When I was in Amsterdam in April, in some of the trendy cafes outside of the centre of the city, the same thing, all the trendo pecking away on a stupid piece of glass. What is it that just looks so silly about a grown man with an iPhone?
    I have no idea at all. That's so odd for Korea to have that problem too.

10-07-11 11:43 PM
    Weird that he isn't getting push. Maybe he should try a different mail app or try to troubleshoot. He shouldn't have to refresh.

I do not know if BIS 4.1 will make email better. I honestly haven't looked at it. I have come to like the way email is handled on Android and iOS better than BBOS though.
    You may like it as in UI wise but I'm pretty sure in opinion BB OS is best.

10-07-11 11:44 PM
    You may like it as in UI wise but I'm pretty sure in opinion BB OS is best.

Yup it's all opinion. It depends on the users preference.
    10-08-11 09:55 AM
    Yup it's all opinion. It depends on the users preference.
    If its about user preference what do you think is best?

10-08-11 10:53 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD