So today I arrive in Singapore and I get out of the Changi airport. Walking around the beautiful streets I eye something. Everyone was carrying iPhones! 3G,3GS and even some 4 where everywhere! Almost every single person here was having and carrying an iOS device. I did some exploring to see if I could find a Blackberry because if I saw another one of those iPhones I would go into nervous breakdown. It was terrible. People were still having them everywhere even though prices for the iPhone 4 is somewhere around $1000! Yesterday when I sat down for dinner I finally saw a 9780 which my friend was using. I complimented him because last time I met him he had a 3G iPhone. Now I meet another person who said he had a 9900. Tough luck he was lying because I saw him with an iPhone 4. After nudging and yelling at me I eat and get out and start to walk. As usual I see the iPhones and as I walk I see a Starbucks coffee place. Considering me being a coffee addict I walk in instantly. I finally saw almost everyone having a BB. Thankfully they had one and I saw it and rejoiced! Nobody had an iOS device nor an Android. The odd part was that everyone had a Bold only... I saw a person with the 9000 but most kept the 9700 or 9780. I saw another dude with his wife. They kept 9900s. I was happy in this place I stuck there for a bit. So that's my story in Singapore.
    Although I'm loving it there its so damn alerting to see almost EVERY soul rocking an iOS. I'm hating it and am still not willing to go outside. I can't show off my 9900 because everyone has a freaking iPhone. They have it even though the prices are damn expensive....... What do you guys think?
    10-03-11 07:55 AM
    The high rate of market penetration here is undeniable, I'm glad you can see with your eyes. Take the MRT and you'll probably go into withdrawal! A good proportion of people using BBs are the Filipinos here by the way. Singaporeans are mostly just not into BBs. Truth!
    10-03-11 08:32 AM
    hmm yeah i am from singapore and yup ios dominates here, when i take the train, almost everywhere i turn i see iphones, ipad, ipod etc Blackberry has been going downhill....
    10-03-11 08:33 AM
    Yea I wonder what's up with people here.... I see everyone with Apple stuff. Its a shame we can't have it for BB

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-11 08:37 AM
    singaporeans unfortunately have bad taste...

iphonys...they like manu/liverpool (where is the puke emoticon when you need it)...

jokes aside, i just read a week ago that singapore has the 2nd highest per capita income in the world after qatar around 60k a year (USD i believe)..

but its weird because BB is for work and sigaporeans are very work oriented...you cant type 5 words with iphony without making a mistake...
    10-03-11 10:10 AM
    ...you cant type 5 words with iphony without making a mistake...
    Singaporeans have dainty fingers so they don't make mistakes when they type on their iPhones.
    10-03-11 10:59 AM
    lemme tell you.. Your racist other than that I'm not sure about bad taste. One Singapore dude mustve got the iphone which made another dude buy one. The chain kept going on until the world got iphones
    10-03-11 11:09 PM
    Here in Thailand when I walk in my university I saw 50%/50% Iphone/bb

10-04-11 02:05 AM
    land yourself in indonesia, u can hardly spot any iphones. its a bb land there.
    10-04-11 03:18 AM
    singaporeans unfortunately have bad taste...

iphonys...they like manu/liverpool (where is the puke emoticon when you need it)...

jokes aside, i just read a week ago that singapore has the 2nd highest per capita income in the world after qatar around 60k a year (USD i believe)..

but its weird because BB is for work and sigaporeans are very work oriented...you cant type 5 words with iphony without making a mistake...
    I typed perfect on every iPhone4 demo unit I tried in the past 2 months while deciding if I should dump my BB - and by perfect I meant zero mistakes/autocorrect at all. Much better than typing on a SGII! And mind you I'm big on BB keyboards.. yet I find no issue with typing on a touch screen. You probably haven't tried typing on one.

BB are toys as well by the way. Just trashier toys compared to others.

Seriously, you must either be living in denial or just plain delusional. The iPhone or Android phone is just as "for work" as BBs.

lemme tell you.. Your racist other than that I'm not sure about bad taste. One Singapore dude mustve got the iphone which made another dude buy one. The chain kept going on until the world got iphones
    You're almost right there - the iPhone "craze" here is mostly by word of mouth. Although the advertisement for iPhones are on steroids here, we are a bunch of people who trust our friends' reviews about products more than tv ads or whatnot.
    10-04-11 05:26 AM
    Here in Thailand when I walk in my university I saw 50%/50% Iphone/bb

Now that is something I'm liking

10-04-11 08:05 AM
    I find it odd that you are unwilling to go outside because you can't show off a smartphone. Who cares if everyone has an iPhone? If you really want to show off, why don't you go show them why your BB is better?

I guess you can always just go back to the starbucks and hang out with the BB users. Coffee shops get old fast though.
    K Bear likes this.
    10-04-11 08:14 AM
    I just wish ONE yes ONE BB user can show me how to setup CISCO IPSEC on 3g...until then I guess I will keep using my iPhone for business.............
    10-04-11 08:21 AM
    If you don't want to go outside because people are using iPhones, I would suggest xanax.
    avt123 and K Bear like this.
    10-04-11 09:06 AM
    actually guys what I meant by that is SARCASM!!!!
    10-05-11 12:08 AM
    I just wish ONE yes ONE BB user can show me how to setup CISCO IPSEC on 3g...until then I guess I will keep using my iPhone for business.............
    You keep posting this like like it means something. BB's advantages as a business tool far outweigh those on iOS and Android. It has a solid reputation for being "the best phone for business" for a reason, you know.

As for IPSec, blackberry supports it -- and has for many years.

A quick check of my phone shows the following VPN gateways:
    Cisco VPN Concentrator 3000 Series
    Cisco Secure PIX Firewall VPN
    Cisco IOS with Easy VPN Server

I noticed that you added 3G to your list of requirements. Cute, as judging from your other posts you recently discovered that you need wifi for the above.

For that, I will direct you to BES. Problem solved. With BES, no VPN is needed.
    10-05-11 01:23 AM
    You keep posting this like like it means something. BB's advantages as a business tool far outweigh those on iOS and Android. It has a solid reputation for being "the best phone for business" for a reason, you know.

As for IPSec, blackberry supports it -- and has for many years.

A quick check of my phone shows the following VPN gateways:
    Cisco VPN Concentrator 3000 Series
    Cisco Secure PIX Firewall VPN
    Cisco IOS with Easy VPN Server

I noticed that you added 3G to your list of requirements. Cute, as judging from your other posts you recently discovered that you need wifi for the above.

For that, I will direct you to BES. Problem solved. With BES, no VPN is needed.
    this is absolutely correct and you have said this well
    10-05-11 01:55 AM
    Actually the reason why we Singaporeans are more into iOS and Android is because here in Singapore Blackberries are overpriced and not worth the money. For example, the Bold 9780 costs as much as the HTC Sensation!! And the 9900, that costs $50 more than an SGS2 on contract!
    Last edited by tatperson; 10-05-11 at 03:24 AM.
    10-05-11 03:18 AM
    People were still having them everywhere even though prices for the iPhone 4 is somewhere around $1000!
    That's around the price of the 9900 here too.
    10-05-11 03:32 AM
    Actually the reason why we Singaporeans are more into iOS and Android is because here in Singapore Blackberries are overpriced and not worth the money. For example, the Bold 9780 costs as much as the HTC Sensation!! And the 9900, that costs $50 more than an SGS2 on contract!
    really! Here at the Changi airport terminal 2 the Bold 9900 costs S$888. The 9780 somewhere around $550. Im not sure if the Bold 9900 is THAT much! It aint $1000 for sure!
    10-05-11 04:57 AM
    really! Here at the Changi airport terminal 2 the Bold 9900 costs S$888. The 9780 somewhere around $550. Im not sure if the Bold 9900 is THAT much! It aint $1000 for sure!
    Normally it will depend on the carrier, some charge more and some charge less. Same goes for the iPhone
    10-05-11 05:44 AM
    If that's the case can you please tell me the prices of a SingTel store?

10-05-11 12:52 PM
    I am not an analyst or whatsoever but if you notice in Asia, iPhone are more popular is "Rich" nation while Blackberry is more popular in "Poorer" countries.

Hong Kong and Singapore are more iPhone users and they both are somewhat rich countries. Blackberry are popular in Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand. Countries that are in between are Malaysia where iphone and Blackberry users are somewhat 50/50.

I guess iPhone is very popular now so there is no reason for them to lower the price drastically. They are caputring the elite market. But if the elite market is saturated, I am sure Apple will introduce a cheaper version and Blackberry (assuming no drastic improvement), will be the next Nokia or Motorola

- Charles
    10-06-11 02:26 AM
    I am sure Apple will introduce a cheaper version and Blackberry (assuming no drastic improvement), will be the next Nokia or Motorola
    wrong...this is where RIM has realized its limitations and probably decided to up the game in the premium market with the soon to be announced BBX phones..
    10-06-11 05:18 AM
    I guess Singaporians are very well influenced lol
    10-06-11 05:23 AM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD