So it happened. Just a couple days to go until they announce BB10 *excited*, I open up my trusty 9810 and all my files are GONE! My usual Sonar Ping announcing I have a message from my Fiancee has been replaced with a default notification tone, which caused me to investigate. "File not Found" uh oh. Pull SD Card. Replace. "New card installed - format now?" NO! Check last backup -- what do you MEAN December? How could I be so stupid!? Reboot phone. "Media Card Installed has errors" OH NO I'm thinking, I'm screwed! But then. . . . "Would you like me to fix the errors?" YES!!!! 2 minutes later, there's all of my precious data!

Backing up now. . . . .

Love my 9810! And my PlayBook. Though I'm very excited for the Z10 (I think I've decided to actually try the fullscreen)!

Just thought I'd share my story - it's been a morning of up's and downs for me, but this is one of the MANY reasons I love BlackBerry.

Cheers!
    cezley, jakie55 and GlamGemini like this.
    01-28-13 11:09 AM
    lol sounds like it was a roller coaster of a morning/afternoon/evening! I'm glad everything turned out alright for ya
    I too have decided to try out the full touchscreen, but I may decide to get the n-series (x10) too. I STILL can't decide!
    KDB84 likes this.
    01-28-13 11:17 AM
    I'm sure you would have preferred to not that the mini-heart attack.
    But a good ending to the story.

You dodged a bullet my friend
    KDB84 likes this.
    01-28-13 11:18 AM
    That's a **** of a morning, chill man and have a drink. Its happened to me before, glad blackberry saved you from ripping your eyes out. Except... That would be a teeny bit explicit

Sent from my Nintendo NES
    KDB84 likes this.
    01-28-13 12:01 PM
    Yes, definately a bit of a heart-stopper. Funny how attached we get to things, and how much we rely on automy in technology. This coming from the guy who has 3 copies of his hard drive backed up monthly lol

Thanks!
    01-28-13 12:35 PM
    isnt' that sonar ping awesome? I had my phone's notifications on in clinic one day and my boss thought a bomb was going to drop lol
    01-28-13 12:58 PM
    Ya I love it; was a bit disappointed it didn't come with my 9810, but didn't take too long to find. My administrator in the office next to me keeps commenting on the abnormal number of submarines that seem to be in this part of the province - especially since we're about 1km from Lake Ontario lol
    01-28-13 01:27 PM
    might i suggest Blackberry Protect
    A King amongst apps
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-28-13 01:30 PM
    isnt' that sonar ping awesome? I had my phone's notifications on in clinic one day and my boss thought a bomb was going to drop lol
    Is the clinic in a submarine? Otherwise it is the whistle of an incoming missile or bomb you need to worry about although by the time you hear it there is little chance of dodging it.
    01-28-13 01:41 PM
    A King amongst apps
    I also have Blackberry protect. In addition, I do a weekly backup to my PC via BB Desktop Manager.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    01-28-13 01:50 PM
    Sonar ping?
    01-28-13 02:19 PM
    I do a weekly backup to my PC via BB Desktop Manager.
    Wise move. I do similar.... since I lost data last year and my backup was about six months old.

I also had a similar experience to the OP. It was great to get all of my data back.
    01-28-13 02:35 PM
    So it happened. Just a couple days to go until they announce BB10 *excited*, I open up my trusty 9810 and all my files are GONE!
    Maybe your BB was trying to destroy itself so you'd have to upgrade to a BB10
    KDB84 likes this.
    01-28-13 04:13 PM
    I regularly backup my files from my PlayBook and Torch 9860 because there have been far too many near misses.

in fact I backed up my phone tonight... for the very last time... but not in case I have a technological disaster... but so I can transfer all my settings on my BB10 on Thursday

I've backed up using Desktop Manager... but will I be restoring using Link?... can't wait to find out!
    KDB84 likes this.
    01-28-13 04:21 PM
    A King amongst apps
    Yes I use Blackberry Protect, but it was still a couple weeks out of date - that saved my settings, calendar etc.... but my photos, music, PDF's etc. were all gone. I guess that's what Link is for! (Jumping the gun on Link. . . .just pretending BB10 is already out in my little world lol)
    01-29-13 10:53 AM
    I regularly backup my files from my PlayBook and Torch 9860 because there have been far too many near misses.

in fact I backed up my phone tonight... for the very last time... but not in case I have a technological disaster... but so I can transfer all my settings on my BB10 on Thursday

I've backed up using Desktop Manager... but will I be restoring using Link?... can't wait to find out!
    Here's hoping I did the same! 9810 and PlayBook all backed up; let's hope we can restore info on BB10 device this week!
    01-29-13 10:53 AM
    Wise move. I do similar.... since I lost data last year and my backup was about six months old.

I also had a similar experience to the OP. It was great to get all of my data back.
    Absolutely!
    01-29-13 10:54 AM
    Is the clinic in a submarine? Otherwise it is the whistle of an incoming missile or bomb you need to worry about although by the time you hear it there is little chance of dodging it.
    You can dodge them if you have made skillz like I do.
    01-29-13 10:56 AM
    Sonar ping?
    Yes; if you've ever seen the Hunt for Red October, it's the sound that a submarine sends out to detect another submarine in the area; when it "PINGs" off the hull of the sub, it's a very distinct sound that lets the hunting sub locate the hunted sub through sonar. (no windshields in most submarines!)

Oh, and the alert also used to come with BlackBerries (I believe?) prior to OS7.
    01-29-13 10:59 AM
    You can dodge them if you have made skillz like I do.
    Those would be some pretty impressive skillz! Jack Ryan skillz!
    01-29-13 11:00 AM