I just received my replacement storm 1 and when I plug it into my computer the screen immediately goes black and attempts to restart. It goes as far as the loading screen and then flashes to an error screen. It then attempts to restart again and continues to attempt to load. My girlfriends blackberry does the exact same thing. Why does her phone and my new phone do this when my old phone worked perfectly fine when plugged into my computer?

Any information and help would be extremely appreciated.

Thank You
    03-02-10 01:00 PM
    The problem is you have a storm 1.
    03-02-10 01:04 PM
    I didn't have the same problem but when I got my fru storm it didn't see my memory card on the pc and I was sent a link to update the storms driver and it worked. I would call vzw who will then probly put you in touch with rim.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-10 01:05 PM
    I just received my replacement storm 1 and when I plug it into my computer the screen immediately goes black and attempts to restart. It goes as far as the loading screen and then flashes to an error screen. It then attempts to restart again and continues to attempt to load. My girlfriends blackberry does the exact same thing. Why does her phone and my new phone do this when my old phone worked perfectly fine when plugged into my computer?

Any information and help would be extremely appreciated.

Thank You

I have the same problem. After I installed the Boost 5.0 OS....I can no longer plug into my laptop. About ten seconds after I connect to the USB cable, my phone reboots and will never fully reboot. It seems like it gets hung up about half way through and stops. I do not get an error message though. The weird thing is that everything works just fine on my desktop computer. I posted a question about this once before but did not get any help that worked. I'm assuming its some sort of OS issue but I really have no idea.

03-02-10 04:13 PM
    1 day old blackberry 8530, same problem. won't even get the contacts onto it before it's returned.
    03-28-10 12:27 PM
    Hello, I know this is an older thread but maybe someone will get some help from it. This problem PLAGUED me for a week and I found the cause. I think I did anyway, I'm not preaching gospel, just letting you all know what worked for me.

I have 3 Curve 8530's all running the same operating systems. Mine and my son's connect to any of our PC's just fine and do what there supposed to. When I plug my wife's in it immediately reboots, a hard reboot just like a battery pull. They all have various software running but no reason just hers should do that????

What didn't work: resets, reboots, battery pulls, using a different USB cord, connecting to a different PC, swapping batteries, swapping SD cards, default restore, OS upgrade, calling tech support, swearing, begging, or hammer punching my desk. Not a dang thing worked to fix the problem....

Then I noticed her BB Messenger App wasn't running in the background. Even if you never use BB chat this application is used to send push data to your phone and for other communication operations. As far as I know you must have this app running all the time for proper operation. Check this by holding down the BB menu key for a second, this shows a list of apps currently running. Scroll through the apps that pop up and look for the BlackBerry symbol inside a chat bubble, if this app is missing from the list I bet its your problem. Somehow the BB messenger service has been uninstalled from the core app list.

None of the solutions mentioned above fix this problem, even an OTA upgrade wont solve it because this is not a file that is re-installed by default. No other thread I read had a solution nor did Tech support, that's why I'm putting this (sorry) honorably long post up!!

The Fix!!
    If you haven't upgraded to the newest software for your handset go to
    Options>Advanced Options>Wireless Update
    When the handset finds an available update go ahead and install it, but look through the options, DON'T JUST DO A DEFAULT INSTALL!! Aside from the language menu open every sub-menu (the + sign next to the folder) and make sure they are checked. It will be a heavier download but some core apps are not bundled with the "default install" in order to make the download smaller, hence the reason why an upgrade won't fix your problem!! After your lengthy download and install is complete your problem should be solved!! *Note: If you already installed the new 5.0 OS then just reset your BB to the original factory settings and follow the steps above.

I hope this helps someone because I am pretty good with Google and I couldn't find this answer anywhere, nor could tech support. Good luck all....
    07-16-10 02:16 PM
    Hello, I know this is an older thread but maybe someone will get some help from it. This problem PLAGUED me for a week and I found the cause. I think I did anyway, I'm not preaching gospel, just letting you all know what worked for me.

I have 3 Curve 8530's all running the same operating systems. Mine and my son's connect to any of our PC's just fine and do what there supposed to. When I plug my wife's in it immediately reboots, a hard reboot just like a battery pull. They all have various software running but no reason just hers should do that????

What didn't work: resets, reboots, battery pulls, using a different USB cord, connecting to a different PC, swapping batteries, swapping SD cards, default restore, OS upgrade, calling tech support, swearing, begging, or hammer punching my desk. Not a dang thing worked to fix the problem....

Then I noticed her BB Messenger App wasn't running in the background. Even if you never use BB chat this application is used to send push data to your phone and for other communication operations. As far as I know you must have this app running all the time for proper operation. Check this by holding down the BB menu key for a second, this shows a list of apps currently running. Scroll through the apps that pop up and look for the BlackBerry symbol inside a chat bubble, if this app is missing from the list I bet its your problem. Somehow the BB messenger service has been uninstalled from the core app list.

None of the solutions mentioned above fix this problem, even an OTA upgrade wont solve it because this is not a file that is re-installed by default. No other thread I read had a solution nor did Tech support, that's why I'm putting this (sorry) honorably long post up!!

The Fix!!
    If you haven't upgraded to the newest software for your handset go to
    Options>Advanced Options>Wireless Update
    When the handset finds an available update go ahead and install it, but look through the options, DON'T JUST DO A DEFAULT INSTALL!! Aside from the language menu open every sub-menu (the + sign next to the folder) and make sure they are checked. It will be a heavier download but some core apps are not bundled with the "default install" in order to make the download smaller, hence the reason why an upgrade won't fix your problem!! After your lengthy download and install is complete your problem should be solved!! *Note: If you already installed the new 5.0 OS then just reset your BB to the original factory settings and follow the steps above.

I hope this helps someone because I am pretty good with Google and I couldn't find this answer anywhere, nor could tech support. Good luck all....
    Thank you so much. I support about 40 users, 10 of which have a Storm. We just got finished with an all around upgrade. After reading your post, I pulled up the BB messenger app on the Storms to find that none of the license agreements had been accepted yet. Once I did this I was able to connect them up to their respective computers without the continuous rebooting issue.
    08-25-10 11:28 AM
    Thank you so much. I support about 40 users, 10 of which have a Storm. We just got finished with an all around upgrade. After reading your post, I pulled up the BB messenger app on the Storms to find that none of the license agreements had been accepted yet. Once I did this I was able to connect them up to their respective computers without the continuous rebooting issue.
    BBM is running, but my storm still shuts down when plugged into my computer. Please help!

the newest OS is intalled, there are no new updates and I made sure BBM was running. I'm still quite lost.

Any help would be great, thanks!
    10-07-10 10:10 PM
    Just curious if you have tried rebooting the computer, while your bb is on and plugged into the usb? I had a glitch with a dvd drive that would not play a disk till I rebooted with the dvd loaded. Just thought I would add this. Don't know if it will help.

Last edited by albee 1; 10-07-10 at 10:24 PM.
    10-07-10 10:20 PM
    I remember when windows (98) was so screwed, it wouldn't start up unless the windows 98 CD was present in the cd-rom drive at all times. Not even would it load the DOS prompt. Now if that happens to 2000/XP/vista/7, you're screwed. You'll need to backup My Documents (Documents in vista/7) and do a reinstall.

The smooth thing about going from windows vista or 7 to Ubuntu is, the folders (Pictures, Documents, Videos, Music, Downloads) are all the same, so everything goes where it's supposed to be. Just be sure to use a Virtual machine to sync/backup/upgrade your blackberry. (I will be doing this once I completely make the switch to Ubuntu, as i'm quite very much a nerdy-noobish geek lol)

10-08-10 03:03 AM
    I have the same problem. After I installed the Boost 5.0 OS....I can no longer plug into my laptop. About ten seconds after I connect to the USB cable, my phone reboots and will never fully reboot. It seems like it gets hung up about half way through and stops. I do not get an error message though. The weird thing is that everything works just fine on my desktop computer. I posted a question about this once before but did not get any help that worked. I'm assuming its some sort of OS issue but I really have no idea.

same problem here. Works fine on my desktop using a powered usb hub which I am assuming is probably the fix here too but I don't want to carry a powered usb hub with my Dell netbook. besides if I am using my BB as my modem while on the road then I wont have any AC power for the hub. This works with a Storm2 but not the Storm.
    10-24-10 06:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD