And it still works.

It's Bold 9700. Well, the head of the front case (the part with BlackBerry logo printed on it, above the screen) kind of gets detached from the back case (you can see the dust inside), but all in all, all is well.

At first, the lock button (upper left) stops working and my network is all fuzzy (I picked up the wrong network and I can't scan for network), but I squeezed the phone from left and right, and the lock button simply works again. As for the network, I pulled out the SIM card, waved it in the air for a bit, and put it back in. In an instant, my Bold 9700 works again!

Quality product is quality product, is what I'm saying.
    01-04-13 11:09 AM
    Awesome! I never drop mine more than hip level, but my 9900 has been excellent!
    01-04-13 12:54 PM
    lol i dropped my 9900 from 18ft around 5.5m :P
    01-04-13 01:04 PM
    I was gonna say that most (new) phones can withstand this but then I realized that this is a phone from 3 tech-decades ago (2009) and iPhone 3GS (2009) would definitely crack from that height!
    01-04-13 01:06 PM
    I can't count the number of times I have dropped my Storm 2 , pavement , concrete , carpet , hardwood etc.(waist height ) The back cover usually flies off , but , snap her back in and she is off to the races. Unbelievable really.
    01-04-13 01:10 PM
    They are tanks. Incredible the amount of abuse they take.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    01-04-13 01:18 PM
    Over my 8+ years having various BB devices I have never had one of them suffer any damage from falls other than a scratch here or there. My BB's have hit the deck numerous times as for some unknown reason they take flight from my hand and land on the pavement. With regard to my 4 children, who all have had iPhones from day one and pretty much every series, I can't say that. I have witnessed them hitting the deck from around 3 feet and when retreived they have a shattered screen. Yes, BB's can take an incredible amount of abuse....iPhones cannot.

Bob
    01-04-13 01:37 PM
    Lol I know that feel bro! Like my curve 8520(old faithful I have to say, gonna miss her come feb and I upgrade) has received more abuse than it deserves in its 2 year service. It has gone swimming on numerous occasions, falls quite frequently, but I would have to say the most memorable survival feat it has achieved was a few nights ago when I fell down the stairs. The phone slipped out of my hand and went down approximately 2m with me going down and falling on top of it. Now I'll have you know I'm not the lightest of guys. When I stood up I retrieved the battery and back cover that went flying off, inserted the battery and she worked perfectly! So after 20 months of hard abuse I only had to replace the battery because of water damage and sometimes the keys on the edge of the keyboard are a bit unresponsive, but its only sometimes and I only have to press a bit harder, nothing frustrating. That just goes to show even the cheap bb's are made to last! Maybe they're the nokia 3310 of the smartphone era
    01-04-13 01:54 PM
    I threw my 9700 on the ground a few times hard and that thing is still ******* kicking. Nothing broke on it. I'll never do that to my beloved 9900 though.
    01-04-13 02:02 PM
    I do keep mine in either the holster or a case like an Otterbox.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    01-04-13 02:04 PM
    I once had my phone thrown out the window of the car by a drunk buddy one night as we were driving on the Hwy. It was in the outskirts of Toronto along the 401. Long story short I had the ringer on loud, found it and aside from some dirt it probably kicked/picked up it was a-ok.

The Tour 9630 got a a lot of flak for it's "crummy trackball" but boy was it ever a "Boss" for me.
    01-04-13 02:19 PM
    Had to dig out the high school math to translate CM into inches. Silly folks and their metric systems.

I dropped my Curve a foot off a nightstand onto the carpet. Cracked the screen.

IMO, drops and falls are luck of the draw. I can't risk it with a phone to not have it covered anymore with some sort of case.
    01-04-13 02:27 PM
    A few days ago I threw my torch at a ceiling to prove a point, yup. indestructible.
    01-04-13 02:31 PM
    A few days ago I threw my torch at a ceiling to prove a point, yup. indestructible.
    I've done that. Course I was also aiming for the ex's head but it missed him and hit the wall.
    01-04-13 02:34 PM
    I do remember one funny incident when I had a BB Pearl and it ended up being dropped, by me, into a bowl of tomato soup. My keypad was inoperable all munged up and sticky from being bathed in my soup, but I took it over to the AT&T service center here and a young tech gal got it all cleaned up good as new. I fessed up and told her what had happened...of course she laughed but said she was up to the challenge to get my Pearl straightend out...and she did!!

Bob
    01-04-13 02:36 PM
    It helps having a removable battery. The force it takes to pop the battery door off and send the battery flying is a force that would otherwise be applied to the internal components or the screen of the device. That's one reason why phones without battery doors like the iphone get their screens broken so much more often.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-04-13 03:09 PM
    Heh, I remember the staff of a mall I went to a few years ago. My NOKIA 3600 slider fell from my pocket and she exclaimed "Good thing it's NOKIA! BlackBerry wouldn't have survived that!" Well, dang, bad luck just proved her wrong.

I walked away yesterday with a working Bold 9700 and a small dent that shouldn't have been there. Oh well, gonna have BlackBerry 10 device anyway, I'm going to miss this little tank here.
    01-04-13 05:48 PM