On Friday I received my Nexus 5. Oh boy where is this going...

I also received almost a year ago my Blackberry Z10, and loved the user experience. I received my Nexus 5 and envied my Z10 user experience. I have the plastic red Dev Z10's so I don't have the nice soft touches that the rest of the owners like, which I have on my Nexus 5, hardware isn't quite there on the Z10, but it's a year difference in tech, but focusing strictly on software side of things....

BB10 is the best mobile OS I have used (with stints of iOS and currently KitKat). I haven't used a new Windows 8 phone, so please take my comments for what they are worth...

There are two type of phones on the market in my eyes.
    1) Mobile Computers - iOS and Android
    2) Mobile Communication Devices - Blackberry

Android and iOS simply cannot touch Blackberry as a communication device, the flow itself shows this, where there is really no thought around communicating. Blackberry Hub, e-mail, messaging, calendar and contacts are light years ahead of Android...they seem to be an after thought in that eco system. iOS was definitely better then Android, but definitely not as good as Blackberry.

As a developer, I wanted to make a dent in the app world for Blackberry but it's so far away from being close to Android. 10.2.1 proves to fix that but it misses out on Google Services, so I can use my device as what it is, but it's a bit useless without good core apps that I find useful, and I don't have time to create say 'Google Maps' which murders Blackberry Maps.

On the Android side, it lacks the core items I want...a communication device, and a secure one at that. So why not create an app that makes Android a better communication device?

Has anyone sort of experienced this themselves?
    11-26-13 08:23 AM
    I consider my BlackBerry a mobile computing device.
    So now I can't say I have experienced that.
    11-26-13 08:26 AM
    On Friday I received my Nexus 5. Oh boy where is this going...

So why not create an app that makes Android a better communication device?

Has anyone sort of experienced this themselves?
    Why bother? 1.5 million people activate an android device each day. 4 activate a blackberry each day(maybe) .
    It seems as if people know what they want. There will always be a few luddites to bring up the rear. Its blackberrys raison de etre.
    11-26-13 08:27 AM
    My BB Z30 is my mini computer. It is so awesome.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30.
    11-26-13 09:01 AM
    My BB Z30 is my mini computer. It is so awesome.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30.
    My Nexus 5 is a mini computer. Awesome.

What did we prove?
    bbq10l, Berry_Pink and DrBoomBotz like this.
    11-26-13 09:59 AM
    My Nexus 5 is a mini computer. Awesome.

What did we prove?
    Me next! Me next! My iPhone 5 is a mini computer, and it is also awesome.

Okay, whose turn is it?
    Berry_Pink and bbq10l like this.
    11-26-13 10:30 AM
    I agree 100% with JayDee. I don't attribute a smattering of popular big name apps to the definition of mobile computing. Anyway, because BB10 supports full access to your own data (proper file management), including the ability to compress and decompress files at will, the ability to download and manage files whether they are one's the device can use or not, to me is the basis for mobile "computing." There is also plenty of software available for scads of data and content creation. What does Android or iOS as operating systems do that BlackBerry 10 can't? The answer is nothing (we are talking about computing correct?)

If Netflix, a handful of games, or social networking crapola (such as Instagram) are what people are worried a lot about, then we're talking about entertainment, not computing. I guess everyone has different definitions of the word, but I would argue in favor of BlackBerry 10 representing an actual computing oriented OS rather than simply a mobile communications only platform.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 10:59 AM
    BlackBerry is by far a Computer, relative to iPhone and Android. The latter may have software to do more things but the Core BB10 / hardware is so much more a computer than the other platform. Android is probably closer to a computer than iPhone as well. The Atrix is Android right?
    11-26-13 11:05 AM
    So do I need to get popcorn?
    TgeekB and kbz1960 like this.
    11-26-13 11:17 AM
    So do I need to get popcorn?
    Get me some too!!
    11-26-13 11:26 AM
    If you are smart you'll dump the Android crud and put Ubuntu touch on the Nexus hardware. Then you truly would have two mobile computers to choose from.
    Actually, if I'm smart, I'll stick with what works best for me....which is the Nexus 5.
    11-26-13 11:53 AM
    BlackBerry is by far a Computer, relative to iPhone and Android. The latter may have software to do more things but the Core BB10 / hardware is so much more a computer than the other platform. Android is probably closer to a computer than iPhone as well. The Atrix is Android right?
    The Atrix is from about 2010.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-26-13 11:55 AM
    Actually, if I'm smart, I'll stick with what works best for me....which is the Nexus 5.
    Me too, getting a Z30 in just a few days.
    :>)
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-26-13 12:17 PM
    Darn, should have brought more popcorn!
    potatoguy likes this.
    11-26-13 12:26 PM
    Me too, getting a Z30 in just a few days.
    :>)
    Congrats. Interested in hearing how you like it. What is the screen size?
    11-26-13 12:29 PM
    The Atrix is from about 2010.
    And still had better specs then most bb phones
    11-27-13 12:45 PM