My 8 year old 9930 never enjoyed protection of ANY type. Over the years it got dropped, banged, dunked, etc countless times. Including two drops from 48' scaffolding. (had our Fab shop edm holes in frame for wrist lanyard). Once ran over by a skid steer. (Soft gravel, luckily. Lol). Several spider cracked displays.

Displays demanded 15 minutes to replace, each time. While drinking coffee. Lol. Paid $9 for the last display I purchased. Replaced at least 3-4 as many keyboards. $5, 5 minutes over coffee break. Mostly due to paint wear from my thumb nail typing technique. Almost always to "freshen up" appearance for impending events. Lol.

The stainless frame sports "battle scars" but few notice. Spare frame is in tool bag in case I feel like devoting about 30 min to swap. Sorta proud of the scratches, tho. Lol.

Guess I'd rather repair than protect THAT masterpiece of design. Lol.
    02-19-20 07:42 PM
    Why does any phone "need" a tempered glass protector? If it does, it should have come with one from the manufacturer! I throw my phones around without any protection into pockets and bags with keys, spare change, and whatever my kids give me to hold onto. In 7 years of doing that I can't see any scratches on Z10 unless I really look for them. Surely my Z10 doesn't have better glass than newer phones!

You seem to enjoy decking out your phones with rings and protectors and stuff. I'm glad you enjoy that, but I find mine work fine without all the accessories.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    Actually, I'm of the opinion that this glass back phone trend is absolutely ridiculous as those phones need cases at all times basically.

I would really like if we had more phones with a rugged style like the Titan (but less bulky) and would be ready to use out of the box without needing to order that extra stuff.

The BB Classic did have a glass display but the form factor made it that I didn't really have fear of dropping it.
    And I think the metal frame protruded from the sides and top by like 1mm so the glass wouldn't directly hit the surface if dropped.

I was only suggesting the ring to solve the out of balance "issue" that you felt with the LE.
    02-19-20 08:07 PM
    drop you phone face down without a case/screen protector on a non smooth surface and clinch your buttcheeks that it doesnt break.
    Ben xfg and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    02-19-20 08:10 PM
    drop you phone face down without a case/screen protector on a non smooth surface and clinch your buttcheeks that it doesnt break.
    That's why I do use a simple case on my KEYone, and it's always worked. I just don't get the value of a screen protector unless you're trying to protect your device's condition for resale.
    02-19-20 08:18 PM
    That's why I do use a simple case on my KEYone, and it's always worked. I just don't get the value of a screen protector unless you're trying to protect your device's condition for resale.
    For the KEYone, the best case is the very slim OEM soft shell case but it's hard to find and usually quite pricey if you do ($30 or more for a piece of rubber)

But man with that case you do not lose the original feel of the device.
    02-19-20 08:29 PM
    For the KEYone, the best case is the very slim OEM soft shell case but it's hard to find and usually quite pricey if you do ($30 or more for a piece of rubber)

But man with that case you do not lose the original feel of the device.
    I use the Ringke Fusion case (smoke color). It was cheap and unobtrusive and has been rock solid. No complaints.

02-19-20 08:31 PM
    I use the Ringke Fusion case (smoke color). It was cheap and unobtrusive and has been rock solid. No complaints.

I second this.
    02-20-20 06:43 AM
    I also use it to smite my enemies.
    Apparently your presence is requested

https://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...sad-day-3.html
    02-20-20 07:28 AM
    Well if you are using a old phone that the replacement cost is next to nothing... what would it matter.

One of my neighbors owned his home outright... and thus wasn't forced to pay for insurance, which in Florida can be expensive. And being that our homes are on the bay, do also require Flood Insurance as well. He saved about $3,000 a year over the last ten years.... Hurricane Michael hit last year and a tree fell on is house, opening up the envelope to the wind and it blew it apart. Needless to say his views on insurance are different today than they were...
    02-20-20 07:41 AM

I would literally stop carrying a phone before I would use a ring or popper with my phone. I find them ridiculous.

That's how I used to feel as well... until I actually tried a phone ring. That really changed the game for me! I never had issues dropping my phone before, but adding the ring made typing (both one or two-handed) sooooo much easier. It also provided additional benefits in being more nimble in taking photos of the kids, recording long videos, always having a built-in kickstand and just in general, overall drop protection security.

Yes, these unsightly phone rings do detract from the sleekness and engineering beauty of the phone. But ultimately, for me, these phones are meant to be used and not looked at, and the addition of the phone ring has only enhanced my user experience. Too each their own.
    02-20-20 08:23 AM
    That's how I used to feel as well... until I actually tried a phone ring. That really changed the game for me! I never had issues dropping my phone before, but adding the ring made typing (both one or two-handed) sooooo much easier. It also provided additional benefits in being more nimble in taking photos of the kids, recording long videos, always having a built-in kickstand and just in general, overall drop protection security.

Yes, these unsightly phone rings do detract from the sleekness and engineering beauty of the phone. But ultimately, for me, these phones are meant to be used and not looked at, and the addition of the phone ring has only enhanced my user experience. Too each their own.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I don't do a lot of the things you described (photos, videos, kickstand, etc). I don't see how a ring would help me on the KEYone.

02-20-20 08:33 AM
236 ... 8910