Just curious about a few different things...
    1. What is a "real time operating system"? I heard a couple people use that term at BB World.
    2. I couldn't tell from the videos from BB World...did the device alpha phone have get bezel feature?
    3. Cascades is now available to app developers...will apps that were built with cascades be available to the playbook before BB10 is released? Or are they waiting until the release of Bb10 to move them to app world?
    4. Will BB10's sweet new camera require different hardware than the current playbook has, or will an update allow the playbook to use that "time warp" feature?
    05-03-12 06:53 PM
    Just curious about a few different things...
    1. What is a "real time operating system"? I heard a couple people use that term at BB World.
    2. I couldn't tell from the videos from BB World...did the device alpha phone have get bezel feature?
    3. Cascades is now available to app developers...will apps that were built with cascades be available to the playbook before BB10 is released? Or are they waiting until the release of Bb10 to move them to app world?
    4. Will BB10's sweet new camera require different hardware than the current playbook has, or will an update allow the playbook to use that "time warp" feature?
    1. RTOS (Real-time operating system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    2. YES, duh...
    3.. Yes, the Scrapbook App and Print to Go app are already built with Cascades. This comes down to the developers and how they wish to release their apps. Now that cascades is out it's possible at least for apps to hit APP World(for Playbook) built in Cascades
    4. The current camera seems to be licensed from a 3rd party (Scalado is a world leader in the mobile imaging industry - Scalado)

Does that answer your questions? As for RTOS however Playbook/QNX seem to be the only RTOS's available in the consumer market. I think they should hype this for the press because the OS itself is far different from Android/iOS and it's "real time" status is a key difference in the market.

People don't realize the Playbook was built with Cascades and BB10 on the horizon, the playbook is up to par with the iPad 3, in fact they have the same processor size etc. The current hardware and future on the Playbook (once it gets BB10) may see that crazy cool camera come with it as well
    Last edited by jamezalexander; 05-03-12 at 08:00 PM.
    Yoox_II and Deu2e like this.
    05-03-12 07:57 PM
    Perfect, thank you. I read the wikipedia page of real time os, but I'm still a little confused. Could you explain it in simpler terms?
    Another question. All of the amazing things that rim showed at blackberry world... Are they all copyrighted? I would hate to see an app pop up on the app store or android market place that does exactly what bb10's camera does, or the new keyboard features, etc... Any of blackberry 10's showcased features and products. Could these be developed by someone else before the release of blackberry 10 or would that be illegal?
    One more thing, haha... Would it be possible for bb10's browser to be made wth cascades? That would be very nice - to have a browser with such a fluent interface
    05-03-12 08:13 PM
    "In general, an operating system (OS) is responsible for managing the hardware resources of a computer and hosting applications that run on the computer. An RTOS performs these tasks, but is also specially designed to run applications with very precise timing and a high degree of reliability. This can be especially important in measurement and automation systems where downtime is costly or a program delay could cause a safety hazard."

To learn more: What is a Real-Time Operating System (RTOS)? - Developer Zone - National Instruments

Discussed in the forums:
    [I]Quote:
    Originally Posted by DAnklaud:
    with ios and android, multitasking menu is more like shortcuts to restart an app(yes from the begining fresh start) , with QNX, the apps are all running at the same time in Real time,
    then again QNX Is a Real Time Operating System=RTOS(yes i own an iOS , Android, and QNX devises )

I may be wrong DAnklaud, but a Real Time Operating System doesn't have much to do with running apps simultaneously in real time. As far as I understand, ROTS is all about scheduling tasks and terminating them according to a certain algorithm.
    Any operating system can schedule tasks and terminate them according to a certain algorithm.. the fundamental difference for an RTOS is that such activities are deterministic, not random/approximate. Thats the RT part of the RTOS
    Source:http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...92/index2.html

The latter is more true, RTOS doesn't "enable" multitasking that's just a perk of how the OS runs, because it's real time, it boots APPs in microkernals allowing for apps to CRASH but the whole system will not because the RTOS protects it. Essentially RTOS means that the on a refined "hard-rtos" the OS will never fail you because the system will turn an app off before lagging the system. If you read on in the link I posted above. It talks about an air bag being deployed *aka* a system that needs to work NO MATTER WHAT. Secure electronic consoles run RTOS (QNX) because it's reliable and can deliver real time results.
    Last edited by jamezalexander; 05-03-12 at 08:29 PM.
    Yoox_II, Deu2e and glassofpinot like this.
    05-03-12 08:27 PM
    Very helpful. Thanks for explaining
    05-03-12 08:32 PM
    Perfect, thank you. I read the wikipedia page of real time os, but I'm still a little confused. Could you explain it in simpler terms?
    Another question. All of the amazing things that rim showed at blackberry world... Are they all copyrighted? I would hate to see an app pop up on the app store or android market place that does exactly what bb10's camera does, or the new keyboard features, etc... Any of blackberry 10's showcased features and products. Could these be developed by someone else before the release of blackberry 10 or would that be illegal?
    One more thing, haha... Would it be possible for bb10's browser to be made wth cascades? That would be very nice - to have a browser with such a fluent interface
    I would HOPE it's all copyrighted, but who really knows... I personally think RIM showed us just the tip of the BB10 Iceburg. Nothing they showed us was really all that new. Yeah maybe the keyboard but the rest could have been interpolated from bb10 leaks months ago.. I think February? RIM knows that BB10 is it's final shot at staying in the market or falling out. I BET they're playing things reallllly close to the chest and holding out! I think that they latter end of the year release date means that they want to release the BEST device out their spec wise. And are willing to wait till everyone else sets a standard just so they can make something better. They must set themselves at the highest point. As for the browser you can BET all the native apps will be cascades redesigned! Webkit and Torch + Cascades, get ready for a powerful browser

The HTML5 test - How well does your browser support HTML5?

things look promising!
    05-03-12 08:36 PM
    jamezalexander, I learned something, thanks for the explanations!
    05-03-12 09:46 PM
    1. RTOS (Real-time operating system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    2. YES, duh...
    3.. Yes, the Scrapbook App and Print to Go app are already built with Cascades. This comes down to the developers and how they wish to release their apps. Now that cascades is out it's possible at least for apps to hit APP World(for Playbook) built in Cascades
    4. The current camera seems to be licensed from a 3rd party (Scalado is a world leader in the mobile imaging industry - Scalado)

Does that answer your questions? As for RTOS however Playbook/QNX seem to be the only RTOS's available in the consumer market. I think they should hype this for the press because the OS itself is far different from Android/iOS and it's "real time" status is a key difference in the market.

People don't realize the Playbook was built with Cascades and BB10 on the horizon, the playbook is up to par with the iPad 3, in fact they have the same processor size etc. The current hardware and future on the Playbook (once it gets BB10) may see that crazy cool camera come with it as well
    I'm sorry but NO.

The NDK's released were for Blackberry 10 development, NOT PlayBook OS2 development, they are similar but not one in the same, the cascades apps developed by the majority of dev's will not work on the PlayBook before BlackBerry 10 is released.

as for the Camera in the DevAlpha, it is considerably better than that of the PlayBook's it has AutoFocus on the Rear facing Camera, and seems to be 8MP, though default image size is about 6MP.
    05-03-12 11:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD