Amazing 5-10 years ago we never were this way.......

NEW YORK - A California train engineer who was sending and receiving text messages was blamed last month for causing one of the worst railroad crashes in U.S. history that killed 25 people.
    Despite such risks, many Americans send and receive text messages on mobile e-mail devices in dangerous situations, according to a survey released on Tuesday that showed 77 percent have used such a device while driving a moving car.
    Forty-one percent said they have used a mobile e-mail device such as a BlackBerry while skiing, on horseback or riding a bicycle, said the survey commissioned by Neverfail Inc, an Austin, Texas-based software company that provides protection for business data, operations and applications.

The engineer of a crowded commuter train was text-messaging from his cell phone seconds before his train skipped a red light and collided with a freight train near Los Angeles in September, killing 25 people, investigators found.
    The Neverfail survey said the proportion of the corporate work force using company-supplied mobile devices will grow to nearly 40 percent by 2010 from just under one-quarter now.
    In the economic crisis workers may feel squeezed and under pressure to use their mobile devices even more, said Michael Osterman, president of Osterman Research of Black Diamond, Washington, which conducted the survey for Neverfail.
    "People are going to have to do more than they are doing now," he said. "As people get laid off, the responsibilities of the company don't go away, but the people to do the work do."
    10-22-08 09:21 AM
    So...don't operate mobile devices while operating heavy machinery...

No offence, but what a moron!
    10-22-08 12:18 PM
    Wow 25 people? That's insane!
    But it doesn't mean people will stop texting in dangerous situations. What can ya do?

I think in some states they have laws against it, the fines are pretty big from what I've seen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-08 12:33 PM
    Really what can you do?? Enfocement woud be impossible.

10-22-08 01:40 PM
    Its really too bad people don't realize how dangerous operating machinery or driving is when done all by itself much less when you start adding distractions.

Driving is your only concern while driving. Please don't risk everybody elses' life by acting in a selfish way (texting,email,etc).

10-22-08 01:46 PM
    The problem isn't texting in dangerous situations, it's doing anything that takes your attention away from what you should be doing.

In a lot of businesses you are not allowed to eat, use mp3 players, have sex, do your makeup, fiddle with personal phones for any reason, the list goes on and on. And at most of these jobs you are sitting at a desk.

So the pinheads that think they can drive, fly, reach into machines with fast moving gears, monitor the well being of others lives, that think they can text, play games or do anything else that distracts them from their tasks and then cause problems, unless killed for not paying attention, are not going to stop. Why? Simple they feel they are in control and that it's the other guy that can't steer with his knees, can't text while doing brain surgery or what have ya.
    10-22-08 01:57 PM
    Simple they feel they are in control and that it's the other guy that can't steer with his knees, can't text while doing brain surgery or what have ya.
    Hey, I text while doing brain surgery all the time! It's a lot easier than you think. Of course there was that one time where I sewed up the patient with my Berry still inside of him, but that only happened the one time. And fortunately my Berry was wearing an Otterbox so no harm was done. Honest!
    10-22-08 03:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD