I'm all hung up about it because I use it quite often. I like to have music playing while I read a book or web page and often like to run app updates, have my facebook updating, etc all at the same time. Without true mutlitasking you end up with only the app in the foreground working and the others just sitting there idle.
    maybe try a new android device before making this claim? what you are describing is not unique at all, in fact it is very easy to do. those are not memory intensive apps so its very easy to handle on any andriod phone now a day. do you seriously think you turn on your mp3 player and browse the web your mp3 will stop, or if you switch to FB your browser will stop and mp3 also? wouldn't you think that will be a big problem?

people need to do some research before spreading these info. other user might actually believe in your claim and think its the truth. poster should be more responsible in what they post.
    red_devil_fan_1999 likes this.
    10-17-12 10:00 AM
    The (insane) price aside, another reason why this thing will sink is the whole WindowsRT issue. Microsoft will have a of a time explaining what exactly Windows RT is, and what it can and can not do.

I pity the poor, Indian call center workers, who'll spend day after day fielding calls from Angry Americans yelling at them because "My programs won't run!" "How do I install my McAfee virus scanner on my Surface?!?" And of course: "BUT IT SAID ITS WINDOWS ON THE BOX!!"

As usual Microsofts insistence on everything being Windows will kill their product. MS had an awesome tablet device ready for production five years ago: The Courier. They could have owned the tablet market, as it preceded the iPad by a couple of years. But in the end they cancelled it. Why? Everybody who saw it or tried it loved it. But it didn't run Windows, so Steve Balmer and the head of MS Windows division quietly killed it so it wouldn't cannibalize or compete with Windows sales.

Same thing happened with the E-reader MS had developed ten years ago. They can't seem to understand that people neither want nor need Windows everywhere. Oh well. End rant.
    I dont think that will happen in the general populus. Most people who pick up. Windows tablets and windows devices in general will probably just use the windows store to buy applications.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    10-17-12 10:08 AM
    Orly? I've already seen plenty of comments about how "Surface will be awesome cause you can run REAL programs with Windows 8 and you can't do that on an iPad!" And suchlike in stories discussing Surface.

So it seems that Microsoft ALREADY has a problem with people not being able to distinguish between Windows8, Metro and Windows RT. And this is before the thing has even been released.

Internet comments are one thing, but why don't you try it for yourself tomorrow. Ask some friends that aren't knee deep in this kind of stuff if they've heard about Surface and know the difference between Windows8 and Windows RT...
    richardat and sf49ers like this.
    10-17-12 10:54 AM
    The (insane) price aside, another reason why this thing will sink is the whole WindowsRT issue. Microsoft will have a of a time explaining what exactly Windows RT is, and what it can and can not do.

I pity the poor, Indian call center workers, who'll spend day after day fielding calls from Angry Americans yelling at them because "My programs won't run!" "How do I install my McAfee virus scanner on my Surface?!?" And of course: "BUT IT SAID ITS WINDOWS ON THE BOX!!"

As usual Microsofts insistence on everything being Windows will kill their product. MS had an awesome tablet device ready for production five years ago: The Courier. They could have owned the tablet market, as it preceded the iPad by a couple of years. But in the end they cancelled it. Why? Everybody who saw it or tried it loved it. But it didn't run Windows, so Steve Balmer and the head of MS Windows division quietly killed it so it wouldn't cannibalize or compete with Windows sales.

Same thing happened with the E-reader MS had developed ten years ago. They can't seem to understand that people neither want nor need Windows everywhere. Oh well. End rant.
    just wanted to comment the price is not insane. isn't that what most tablet came out with initially? playbook? galaxy tab? asus prime? 4g playbook? ipad?

price only get lower if the consumer are not willing to pay for it.

499 seems pretty much standard price for almost all new tablet that comes into the game beside the selected few.
    10-17-12 11:42 AM
    just wanted to comment the price is not insane. isn't that what most tablet came out with initially? playbook? galaxy tab? asus prime? 4g playbook? ipad?

price only get lower if the consumer are not willing to pay for it.

499 seems pretty much standard price for almost all new tablet that comes into the game beside the selected few.
    No tablet other than iPad have sold well at that price point. The market has only shown a willingness to spend $500+ on iPads, but not tablets made by anyone else. I'm doubting a tablet running Windows RT, that won't run everything Windows 8 proper will even though there seem to be plenty of Windows8 fanboys running around here that don't comprehend the difference, will change this trend.
    10-17-12 12:58 PM
    maybe try a new android device before making this claim? what you are describing is not unique at all, in fact it is very easy to do. those are not memory intensive apps so its very easy to handle on any andriod phone now a day. do you seriously think you turn on your mp3 player and browse the web your mp3 will stop, or if you switch to FB your browser will stop and mp3 also? wouldn't you think that will be a big problem?

people need to do some research before spreading these info. other user might actually believe in your claim and think its the truth. poster should be more responsible in what they post.
    .....or try an ipad. It will play mp3's/stream music,and receive notifications while you read or surf. LOL
    10-17-12 01:02 PM
    Orly? I've already seen plenty of comments about how "Surface will be awesome cause you can run REAL programs with Windows 8 and you can't do that on an iPad!" And suchlike in stories discussing Surface.
    I've comments to that effect on every single comment section regarding a surface I've read. We've even seen such comments here on Crackberry and Shingi knows that....and this from people who are online reading about tech!
    10-17-12 01:05 PM
    10-17-12 03:31 PM
    No tablet other than iPad have sold well at that price point. The market has only shown a willingness to spend $500+ on iPads, but not tablets made by anyone else. I'm doubting a tablet running Windows RT, that won't run everything Windows 8 proper will even though there seem to be plenty of Windows8 fanboys running around here that don't comprehend the difference, will change this trend.
    I don't knwo what the point of your post. i already said if it doesn't sell well the price will obviously get lower. How many real contender were there against ipad? samsung? and? i couldn't really think of anyone else that poised a real threat to them at 499 price point. MSFT is a giant just like apple. they're spending 1.5b or more on marketing. It might or not be successful. only time will tell.

Also, what you mean RT wont run window 8 properly. You might want to elaborate on that. What we know is it won't run win7 native app properly because of the AMR chipset, but it will run window 8 apps. You do understand other manufacturers are coming out with their own window 8 tablet that will run win7 native app later on this year right? It is not jsut MSFT making this.

you might want to stop screaming fanboy this and that. ever consider people dont have loyalty to any specific brand and just want to use good device?
    10-17-12 04:12 PM
    Also, what you mean RT wont run window 8 properly. You might want to elaborate on that. What we know is it won't run win7 native app properly because of the AMR chipset, but it will run window 8 apps. You do understand other manufacturers are coming out with their own window 8 tablet that will run win7 native app later on this year right? It is not jsut MSFT making this.

you might want to stop screaming fanboy this and that. ever consider people dont have loyalty to any specific brand and just want to use good device?
    Windows 8 RT will only run Metro apps. There will be many apps the run on Window 8 desktop (I refered to it as proper and didn't mispell properly!) that wont run on RT. The Office version is different, and dumbed down. Surface Pro will be x86 based and run everything. Other manufacturers will make devices, but MSFT did upset many by making their own device.

I don't have an issue with people wanting other devices, but there is a group of people littering Crackberry with WP8 and Surface garbage as the death of RIM that might find a more receptive audience at wpcentral. Of course we've dealt with Trolls from all other platforms that like to reside here so why not more.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry App!
    10-17-12 04:57 PM
    lol #1: BGR? haha my sides

lol #2: Brad Reed... can he even shave yet? Who is this guy?

lol #3: "Sources" are unnamed and we're supposed to all stand up and listen to Brian White (huh? who is this guy?) from Topeka Capital.

Now I don't know about you guys, but this guy really looks like he has his finger on the pulse of what people like:
    MS Surface Tablet pricing leaked-0.jpg

So... was this unnamed source just some guy from shipping / receiving they interviewed outside during his smoke and coffee break? I once used a digital toaster oven, can I be an unnamed source too?

Lots of sarcasm here folks, don't crowd, there's plenty for everyone
    10-17-12 05:24 PM
    Windows 8 RT will only run Metro apps. There will be many apps the run on Window 8 desktop (I refered to it as proper and didn't mispell properly!) that wont run on RT. The Office version is different, and dumbed down. Surface Pro will be x86 based and run everything. Other manufacturers will make devices, but MSFT did upset many by making their own device.

I don't have an issue with people wanting other devices, but there is a group of people littering Crackberry with WP8 and Surface garbage as the death of RIM that might find a more receptive audience at wpcentral. Of course we've dealt with Trolls from all other platforms that like to reside here so why not more.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry App!
    The office application will recive an update to the full office 2013 suite when office 2013 lanuches next year.
    10-17-12 05:37 PM

So it seems that Microsoft ALREADY has a problem with people not being able to distinguish between Windows8, Metro and Windows RT. And this is before the thing has even been released.

Internet comments are one thing, but why don't you try it for yourself tomorrow. Ask some friends that aren't knee deep in this kind of stuff if they've heard about Surface and know the difference between Windows8 and Windows RT...
    this story just solidifies your opinion..

With Surface looming, Microsoft fails to explain Windows 8 vs. Windows RT to consumers | The Verge
    10-17-12 06:00 PM
    Analysts, PC industry cool on Windows 8

NEW YORK (AP) � While Microsoft is touting next week�s launch of Windows 8 as the savior of the computer industry, PC makers and analysts are increasingly skeptical that the new operating system will lure consumers away from tablets and smartphones.

Even Intel Corp., which makes the processors at the heart of 80 percent of personal computers, doubts that Windows 8 will have a big impact on sales. CEO Paul Otellini said this week that he�s ��very excited�� about the new operating system but expects the usual holiday bounce in PC sales to be half of what it usually is. Otellini suggested that PC makers are being cautious about building big stocks of Windows 8 PCs.

��We haven�t had a chance to really judge how consumers will embrace this in the PC space or not,�� Otellini said on a conference call with reporters and analysts.

Research firm IHS iSuppli expects the industry to ship 349 million PCs this year, down 1 percent from last year�s all-time high. Although small, the decline would be the first since 2001.

In the U.S., a mature market where consumers are gobbling up tablets, PC sales have already been declining for two years.

Meanwhile, Apple has been doubling sales of iPad tablets every year since the first model was introduced in 2010. In the April to June period, Apple shipped 17 million iPads, while Hewlett-Packard Co., then the world�s largest maker of PCs, shipped 13.6 million PCs, according to Gartner analysts.

Smartphones, which were a niche market before the 2007 launch of the iPhone, outsold PCs last year, even though PC sales were at a record high. Some 488 million smartphones were sold in 2011, according to research firm Canalys.

The PC market is still big, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer told the Seattle Times last month, ��and Windows 8 will propel that volume.��

Windows 8 is a response to the popularity of tablets. It tosses out many Windows conventions in favor of a radical new look that�s designed to be easy to use on a touch screen. With Windows 8, PC makers are releasing a slew of laptops that double as tablets, either with detachable screens or with screens that fold down over the keyboard.

But Citigroup analyst Joe Yoo is even more pessimistic than Intel that Windows 8 will spur a turnaround in sales of desktop and laptop computers. It could turn out to be a ��non-event�� in terms of getting people to buy PCs, he said.

Microsoft did not immediately respond to a request for comment. On Thursday, the company reports results for the quarter that ended in September, and executives will likely talk about prospects for the rest of the year.

Brian White at Topeka Capital Markets said Taiwanese PC component suppliers aren�t seeing any pickup in orders ahead of the Oct. 26 launch of Windows 8.

��The sentiment around Windows 8 was overwhelmingly negative,�� he said after meetings with suppliers. ��We believe the PC industry is headed for a muted December quarter and well below the ramp expected with new products.��

Analyst Mary Jo Foley at UBS is ��leery�� of Windows 8, noting that it has an entirely new look and feel. It could either be a big success, she said, or it could confuse customers and turn them off. She noted that Microsoft is set to support the launch with its $1 billion in advertising, the most it has ever spent on a campaign. That support will be critical for overcoming resistance to the new user interface and reinvigorate interest in PCs, she wrote.

PC makers began the year with the hope that a new wave of lightweight laptops called ultrabooks would provide a sales lift. But ultrabooks are still expensive, with most models around $1,000, and they haven�t been compelling enough to overcome the growing popularity of smartphones and tablets.

Now, PC makers are in a tough spot when it comes to taking advantage of Windows 8, said Patrick Moorhead, a former chip executive who now runs research firm Moor Insight. Adding a touchscreen into a PC is expensive, and they�re competing with tablets that are much cheaper. Meanwhile, Microsoft hasn�t made much effort to add new features for mouse-and-keyboard PCs to Windows 8.

��If you�re a user, you�re asking yourself: �Why do I need to buy this new notebook, if my old notebook can still do what I need it to do? Instead, I'll buy a new phone or a tablet,'�� Moorhead said.
    Analysts, PC industry cool on Windows 8 - Business - Boston.com
    10-17-12 06:03 PM
    Better read this or one of the other links so you know the difference.

Windows 8 vs Windows RT: what's the difference? | News | TechRadar
    10-17-12 06:12 PM
    Breaking the Surface: How Microsoft set out to build the world�s best tablet
    Microsoft airs its first Surface tablet ad, focuses on keyboard, kickstand and... dancers?
    10-17-12 11:52 PM
    I don't understand the ipad comparisons. I thought the new Windows tablets are real computers, meant to replace your laptop. As in, no use for "apps" because real programs run on it? Is this not true for the RT? If that's the case then I wouldn't buy either one (I don't buy overpriced iGarbage)

For the Pro version, I'd be willing to pay about $1000 personally if my laptop died today (but it's not getting there), and I doubt it would do well at any price above $999 for the cheapest model.
    ayekon likes this.
    10-18-12 12:26 AM
    Sadly, 99% of your posts are more geared towards painting competitors in as negative a light as possible than actually touting the good stuff from your preferred brand.
    Scaremongering aside, 99% of new computers sold from november onwards will ship with Windows 8. Low upgrade fees mean tens of millions of people will upgrade.
    10-18-12 02:20 AM
    Personally, having the creator of the OS also handle the hardware is a win...
    It's an attraction for BlackBerry, Apple, Goolerola and now MS...
    Bring on the competition!
    Competition churns the innovation machine
    10-18-12 03:15 PM
    http://www.neowin.net/news/all-initi...-united-states

All of the SKUs in the US seem to be sold out. Looks to be a repeat of nexus 7 success.

10-19-12 11:01 PM
    Early look at Windows 8 baffles consumers
    Early look at Windows 8 baffles consumers - Business - CBC News

No one knows the difference between Windows 8 and Windows RT. Not even Microsoft, seemingly
    No one knows the difference between Windows 8 and Windows RT. Not even Microsoft, seemingly - News - Know Your Mobile

Windows 8 will fail in the enterprise, warns Gartner
    Windows 8 will fail in the enterprise, warns Gartner | Computerworld Blogs

Two weeks away, still no SDK: Windows Phone 8 teeters on the edge of failure
    Two weeks away, still no SDK: Windows Phone 8 teeters on the edge of failure | ExtremeTech
    10-19-12 11:54 PM
    .....or try an ipad. It will play mp3's/stream music,and receive notifications while you read or surf. LOL
    But if I have multiple browser windows open (3+), they ha e to reload entirely anytime I switch between tabs. If I were to switch to another tab right now (I'm using an iPad) to look up something relevant to this post, when I came back to this tan, everything I've written would be gone. Trust me, it happens to me too often. That is nowhere near "true multitasking". I do really like my iPad for what it is, but no one will ever be able to convince me that is can really multitask or that it's a laptop replacement.
    10-20-12 12:23 AM
    But if I have multiple browser windows open (3+), they ha e to reload entirely anytime I switch between tabs. If I were to switch to another tab right now (I'm using an iPad) to look up something relevant to this post, when I came back to this tan, everything I've written would be gone. Trust me, it happens to me too often. That is nowhere near "true multitasking". I do really like my iPad for what it is, but no one will ever be able to convince me that is can really multitask or that it's a laptop replacement.
    OK....LOL...well first, I didn't say it was "true multitasking" despite your quote. In fact, I'd never say that about anything because "multitasking" is actually a vague term that get thrown about wildly without a firm definition. Of course the ipad and iphone do "true" multitasking, and ios/osx are extremely capable multitasking platform, BUT there are big restrictions on it in ios. I merely pointed out, along with another poster, that the objections the one user listed were incorrect misinformation.

Second, "laptop replacement"!!!! WHO told YOU THAT??! STUPID STUPID STUPID!!! Tablets aren't laptop replacements! I don't think many view them that way at all! Apple itself doesn't sell them that way, or design them that way! I think it's safe to say that tablets, being able to do some things as well, or better than laptops, can replace a laptop for THOSE tasks, and if all you do is those tasks, it will work, but a generic "laptop replacement" label is ludicrous!!!

Finally, I don't own an ipad, so I can't look for a solution to your problem, but I never had this problem on the ipads I used. That sounds very strange, and very annoying indeed, though what you're describing doesn't sound like "multitasking" at all....just temporary data form saving while switching windows. I couldn't recreate the problem on my iphone just now, but it only allows 8 windows at once. I know that indeed, if you run out of memory, data has to be released to free up memory but....

....I heard of this being a problem a long time ago! There was a bug in one version of ios 3 on the original ipads, that caused the memory to be used up quickly, but I thought that was long since corrected. Oh well, hope you find your answer.
    10-20-12 02:40 AM
    Surface is gonna be the failure of the century, 20gb OS, heavy and very expensive? DOA
    10-20-12 04:29 AM
    Surface is gonna be the failure of the century, 20gb OS, heavy and very expensive? DOA
    Yet its sold out in every SKU in the US and UK microsoft stores. Seems to be mirroring the launch of the nexus 7 for the better.

Also good thing it isnt the only windows 8 tablet either way.

10-20-12 07:45 AM
50 12