Just watched the pilot for Mr. Robot, an upcoming series on USA. Great pilot overall, I'm looking forward to watching the show.

BUT, there was a crack (lol) at BlackBerry that was too obvious to miss, thought I'd post it here. If anything, I think it sums up the biggest problem that BlackBerry faces when it comes to the consumer market: perception.

The main character is doing a voiceover monologue when the chief technology officer enters his area and this is his comment:

"There he is Terry Colby, the CTO… Even though he’s the head technology guy at one of the biggest companies in the world he owns a BlackBerry."

Accompanied by an extreme closeup of his BlackBerry (Bold 9900?) in an unflattering manner. (I'll attach the screenshot).

The implication is obvious. BlackBerry is outdated next to the competition. What was funny to me was that he uses Linux on the desktop which shares roughly the same global market share as BlackBerry.

Anyway, my point is that this is the biggest hurdle that BlackBerry faces when it comes to their place in the market. Perceptions are skewed, and people are judging the company based on past mistakes. This is their biggest challenge to overcome, imho.

PS: On a side note the actor playing the Don't be Evil Corp CTO looks somewhat like Google Executive Chair Eric Schmidt (who has been known to carry a BlackBerry) so maybe it's also an oblique side swipe at him, lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Mr. Robot takes an easy shot at BlackBerry-mrrobot.png  
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    05-31-15 06:10 PM
    Seems more a shot at Eric Schmidt to me as noted. Lol.
    05-31-15 06:25 PM
    "There he is Terry Colby, the CTO� Even though he�s the head technology guy at one of the biggest companies in the world he owns a BlackBerry."
    Well. There must be reasons for him to, no? Lol

Pot shot... or is it?
    05-31-15 06:28 PM
    Seems more a shot at Eric Schmidt to me as noted. Lol.
    Yeah, when you look at the casting and how the actor of Don't Be Evil is portrayed... Still, only geeks will get it. Everyone else will have a laugh at the out of touch villain sporting a BlackBerry...

Season 2 they should have him using a touch capacitive Passport, hah. =)
    gariac likes this.
    05-31-15 06:44 PM
    Well. There must be reasons for him to, no? Lol

Pot shot... or is it?
    You have to watch it, it's all in the delivery in the actor's voiceover. Clearly it's a putdown. Saying anything more would spoil the pilot. =)
    diegonei likes this.
    05-31-15 06:46 PM
    Well I guess the quarter is in the can. Soon we'll know how bad the situation is. I just saw my first Z30 in the wild last week, other than mine that is. Best device out there IMHO. But a rare breed, not sure why.

Jake

Sent with the sweetest phone ever made, BlackBerry Z30

Jakemeister
    05-31-15 06:47 PM
    Well I guess the quarter is in the can. Soon we'll know how bad the situation is. I just saw my first Z30 in the wild last week, other than mine that is. Best device out there IMHO. But a rare breed, not sure why.

Jake

Sent with the sweetest phone ever made, BlackBerry Z30

Jakemeister
    The Passport is the sweetest phone ever made, not sure what you're on about with your Z30, lol. =)
    05-31-15 07:23 PM
    Passport is the best Z30 a close second IMO

Passport,Q10,red Z10,Z30, bold 9900
    05-31-15 11:11 PM
    Isn't that a positive thing? BlackBerrys are for executives and serious business users.
    06-01-15 04:08 AM
    Hahaha the main guy is a security engineer yet uses an android. Shame on him!

Posted via CB10
    jas1978 likes this.
    06-01-15 08:28 AM
    I was just thinking about it this morning when I saw the trailer. The first thing I thought about was BlackBerry. And what phones they are using because obviously ios is easy to hack.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 01:58 PM
    You got me there. I've never held a Passport in my hand. OK, Z30 is the best until I try a Passport

Jakemeister
    06-01-15 06:53 PM
    TV and Movie shows about hacking technology are largely full of artistic bull-doush-crud-daggery. Why would anybody take any of them seriously at marketing value? Regardless whether pro or against?
    Prem WatsApp and anon6040766 like this.
    06-01-15 07:49 PM
    I'm glad I did a search before starting a thread. I watched the show today on youtube. I caught the BlackBerry dig and saved a screenshot, plus enhanced it on my Z10.
    Mr. Robot takes an easy shot at BlackBerry-mr_robot.png

The show was decent, not great, but OK. If you go to whoismrrobot.com they show a fake linux grub boot then leave you at a command prompt. The technical advisers to the show are good. The writers...well...hey, this is better than Scorpion.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    06-05-15 05:16 PM
    I'm glad I did a search before starting a thread. I watched the show today on youtube. I caught the BlackBerry dig and saved a screenshot, plus enhanced it on my Z10.

The show was decent, not great, but OK. If you go to whoismrrobot.com they show a fake linux grub boot then leave you at a command prompt. The technical advisers to the show are good. The writers...well...hey, this is better than Scorpion.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, the lead is interesting, not really sold on Christian Slater as a hacker though. .

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 05:24 PM
    TV and Movie shows about hacking technology are largely full of artistic bull-doush-crud-daggery. Why would anybody take any of them seriously at marketing value? Regardless whether pro or against?
    Well said... :-)

That big word and hey, to take someone at "marketing value" means to buy their BS stories ...?

Absolutely delicious!

LOL, yeah .... ROTFL (edit: with tears!)

�   Wife currently leaping around for joy with her new toy....   �
    06-05-15 07:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    On a side note, the hands on hips and closeup of his 'package' were a nice touch to make him a doofus. Actor did a good job, gotta say. =)
    06-05-15 08:02 PM
    Some of the dialog was correct in the geeky sense. KDE versus Gnome. I'm a KDE user myself, being old school. Lots of ps aux piped to grep on the screen. Having never run enterprise level networking, I can't couch for the graphical display of the network. All I ever run is zenmap (similar to nmap).

The show would have made more sense set in the bay area. I also would expect a cube farm rather than just a bunch of desks in a room. The startup in the garage (literally) on my block even has cubes.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-15 12:06 AM
    Some of the dialog was correct in the geeky sense. KDE versus Gnome. I'm a KDE user myself, being old school. Lots of ps aux piped to grep on the screen. Having never run enterprise level networking, I can't couch for the graphical display of the network. All I ever run is zenmap (similar to nmap).

The show would have made more sense set in the bay area. I also would expect a cube farm rather than just a bunch of desks in a room. The startup in the garage (literally) on my block even has cubes.

Posted via CB10
    Referencing KDE vs Gnome and the screen shots of linux were most likely b-roll shots involving the tech consultants and not the writers, lol. But kudos to the show for taking at least one extra step to be authentic.
    06-06-15 12:23 AM
    Referencing KDE vs Gnome and the screen shots of linux were most likely b-roll shots involving the tech consultants and not the writers, lol. But kudos to the show for taking at least one extra step to be authentic.
    KDE versus Gnome...you can ask random people on the street about the differences and get an intelligent discussion. Now X11 versus Wayland or init versus systemd is another story.

And Pulse Audio....why thems fightin' words!

Posted via CB10
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    06-06-15 08:05 AM
    KDE versus Gnome...you can ask random people on the street about the differences and get an intelligent discussion. Now X11 versus Wayland or init versus systemd is another story.

And Pulse Audio....why thems fightin' words!

Posted via CB10
    Ha ha, I imagine that line from the evil blue eyed guy where he mentions them sailed a mile over the head of the average viewer. That was obviously a token to geeks.
    06-06-15 10:19 AM
    He took a shot at something he couldn't hack.
    07-02-15 09:37 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mr_robot.png 
Views:	665 
Size:	263.2 KB 
ID:	356236

Posted via CB10
    The guy from Scorpion looks like Ralph Machio from Karate Kid...for that reason alone, Scorpion is cool.
    07-02-15 09:54 AM
    The guy from Scorpion looks like Ralph Machio from Karate Kid...for that reason alone, Scorpion is cool.
    Saw the Scorpion panel at Comic Con last year. The guy that Scorpion is supposedly based on, let's just say that wow, that casting was super amazingly kind.

And that guy, the show writes him pretty accurately. No sense of humor, no people skills whatsoever.

Posted via CB10
    anon6040766 likes this.
    07-02-15 10:19 AM
    I just binge watched this, great show!

Had a sly laugh at the BlackBerry swipe.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-14-16 02:59 PM