http://www.bgr.com/2011/08/05/why-im...#disqus_thread
    Hello, my name is Jonathan, and I was a BlackBerry addict. Forget having every BlackBerry the company released, including different variants of models that didn’t ever appear in the U.S., like the BlackBerry 8707g. Forget being one of the first people to discover BlackBerry Messenger and convert family and friends to the service, even though it was probably the slowest thing ever to run on a BlackBerry 7290. Forget getting a bunch of celebrities to attend the BlackBerry 8700 launch party in New York City just so I would be one of the first people outside of RIM to have an 8700. I even once paid to have a BlackBerry 8700 forged out of solid white gold, which barely functioned since gold doesn’t place nice with antenna (an early lesson on wireless communications — maybe the first real antennagate?). I had a dedicated BlackBerry Enterprise Server for over four years — I was so in. Read on for more.

So then, I started using another smartphone, but it wasn’t as advanced in some areas that I really relied on all the time. I began carrying two smartphones instead of just one, and eventually my BlackBerry was used simply for email and BlackBerry Messenger because other operations became terribly inferior. There came a point, however, when carrying two smartphones, even though I was used to it since years earlier when I had a StarTAC and Timeport P935, became tiresome. It’s a little over the top, even for someone like me, and my BlackBerry was practically useless for me once all of my contacts began switching.

We all know what happened and is happening with Research In Motion, though one thing that’s said I don’t believe is accurate. RIM didn’t stop innovating. The accurate statement would be: RIM stopped innovating where it needed to. The great thing about the BlackBerry 9900 is that it’s sure to be the best BlackBerry yet, and there is not one single person who gave up a BlackBerry for another smartphone who isn’t interested in the BlackBerry 9900, if even just a little bit. There’s something about that keyboard, there’s something about emailing on a BlackBerry, there’s something about phone calling on a BlackBerry, and I can’t wait to get my hands on a BlackBerry 9900 to review. It’s entirely possibly someone from Waterloo put something in my water, I’ll fully admit, but I checked, and the bottle was sealed.

Hmmmmmm..........
    08-05-11 11:50 AM
    I actually look forward to his head to head review of the 9900 to the iPhone 5 when it drops

He clearly is far more an Apple lover than a RIM lover, but you can't deny he did have an addiction to RIM products, and this might be enough to have that addiction creep back a little making for a pretty good review of 2 products that will be full of ultra biased reviews on both fronts for many months
    08-05-11 12:13 PM
    amazing what people will write when they want a device to test lol
    08-05-11 12:17 PM
    i read this when he posted it this morning....i honestly couldnt wait til someone posted it here to see what people will say
    Last edited by howarmat; 08-05-11 at 12:29 PM.
    08-05-11 12:18 PM
    amazing what people will write when they want a device to test lol
    LOL. Hopefully they make him buy one and don't give him anything!
    08-05-11 12:40 PM
    Keep the discussion on topic please. Discuss the content of the quoted article only, or the thread gets deleted.
    08-05-11 12:44 PM
    lol they had better get him one. they have had enough bad press to try and pull something like that.
    08-05-11 12:44 PM
    He was excited until he found out the 9900 has no auto-focus.........

Wow. Was just told that the BlackBerry 9900 (and other new ones) don't have autofocus cameras. RIM removed to make thinner. Just. Wow.
    Twitter
    08-05-11 12:51 PM
    yeah, we knew that though already. it does suck
    08-05-11 12:54 PM
    am I being stupid...? how would you focus if it has no auto focus?

....fixed focus?
    Last edited by StaticFX; 08-05-11 at 01:10 PM.
    08-05-11 01:07 PM
    am I being stupid...? how would you focus if it has no auto focus?

....fixed focus?
    It has an ALL focus like the PlayBook. In fact, I think it is the same exact camera only it takes 720p instead of 1080p video. Also, it has a flash.

It's also known as EDOF (Extended Depth of Field). Here's a great article that describes the difference. Basically they used it to create a thinner design, likely cut costs, improve video performance, and make shots snap quickly.

EDoF versus Auto-focus: Understanding the compromises involved
    08-05-11 01:16 PM
    It has an ALL focus like the PlayBook. In fact, I think it is the same exact camera only it takes 720p instead of 1080p video. Also, it has a flash.

It's also known as EDOF (Extended Depth of Field). Here's a great article that describes the difference. Basically they used it to create a thinner design, likely cut costs, improve video performance, and make shots snap quickly.

EDoF versus Auto-focus: Understanding the compromises involved
    I guess it will come down to what you want out of a camera. All I ask for out of a cell phone is the picture not be a complete blurry mess. It's not like I want to submit photos to the AP or anything. I would much prefer a thinner, lighter phone.
    StaticFX likes this.
    08-05-11 01:38 PM
    yeah, we knew that though already. it does suck
    Yea but Jonathan didn't.............
    08-05-11 01:56 PM
    Damn I really enjoed the auto-focus on my torch coming from a 9700

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-11 09:20 PM
    Damn I really enjoed the auto-focus on my torch coming from a 9700
    If it's important to you, you can get the new Torch 9810. It has auto-focus.
    08-06-11 08:41 AM
    Please. This is just BGR hitting "refresh" for its bona fides as reluctantly estranged RIM fans. It's the set-up for the sadly-damning-with-faintest-praise review of the 9900, and the bloodbath that the Iphone 5 vs. 9900 head-to-head post.
    08-06-11 09:44 PM
    lol they had better get him one. they have had enough bad press to try and pull something like that.
    I'd give him one - a fresh 9900 with a picture of a middle finger set as the wallpaper. I would also disable whatever parameter there was to keep him from changing it. Packaged with the 9900 would be a little note that reads "Here... review this!"
    08-07-11 07:49 AM
    I'd give him one - a fresh 9900 with a picture of a middle finger set as the wallpaper. I would also disable whatever parameter there was to keep him from changing it. Packaged with the 9900 would be a little note that reads "Here... review this!"
    Lol, hilarious...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-11 08:20 AM
    I've read that article several times, and I can't seem to find out what the reasons are...in fact, there are none, that article is poorly written in my opinion...
    08-07-11 08:59 AM
    Uh oh, better be careful what I say here:

Wow BGR likes the 9900!! That's so wonderful!!
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 08-07-11 at 09:04 AM.
    08-07-11 09:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD