Both were born in the same year (1955)
    Chen is Asian, Jobs loved Asia and Buddhism
    Both were successful in working life, though Jobs was fired from his own company.
    Jobs bought Pixar that was later bought by Disney (and Mr Chen was one of the directors)
    Both managed to save the two brands (Apple and Blackberry) from bankruptcy.

I think what sets Jobs apart is his great communicative power.
    What are your thoughts on this?
    Last edited by D BB; 05-10-17 at 05:32 PM.
    05-10-17 05:22 PM
    Could be. But Steve jobs = hardware:; j.c. = software

J.c didn't make BB10 just that you know .
    05-10-17 05:24 PM
    I thought he had because he came in 2013. I have already confirmed and in fact just developed the product sales strategy. My fault, sorry
    05-10-17 05:35 PM
    No need to be sorry

IMO they are very different persons . Steve job is innovative and understood market psychology. J.C. understood software and management of a company .. you can see he did attempt passport and classic before stepping full throttle on shutting down hardware part. Should he not made those attempts, he could be sued by shareholders and the board .

I agree on the part that they are both "company saver"
    05-10-17 05:55 PM
    they are different caliber: just look at the salary difference... $1 vs No. 1 in canada.
    05-10-17 06:40 PM
    No, I don't think so. If Chen one day builds a massive empire around BlackBerry then that question can be asked. As of now all he's done is keep them running, with some moderate success. Jobs was also a great speaker, which in my opinion Chen is not. I'm not taking away from what he's done, but there are a lot of great CEO's out there but there are only a few that reach the status that Jobs ever reached.
    elfabio80 and TGR1 like this.
    05-10-17 07:57 PM
    Chen doesn't understand marketing and tying it into development.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-17 09:49 PM
    Chen doesn't understand marketing and tying it into development.

Posted via CB10
    You are making the assumption that he has something he wants to market.
    bakron1 likes this.
    05-10-17 10:44 PM
    Well, I guess in the same way that Nadella is the current Steve Jobs of Microsoft or that Tim Cook is the current Jobs of Apple.

(they're all CEO's at some point right?)
    05-11-17 12:35 AM
    Steve Jobs was a very unique individual and people like him only come along once in a while, he was innovative, creative and new how to market his products. He could also get in front of an audience and get folks fired up about his ideas and products which is a gift.

As a CEO he made the company billions and a lot of folks are rich because of him who invested in the company when times where lean and had faith in him to turn things around. There are a lot of folks out there who are smart and have great ideas, but don't know how to market them or run a business, he had both qualities.

In the age of computers, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Steve Wozniak, Peter Norton, Dr An Wang, Seymour Cray and Micheal Dell where folks I admired in the industry. Started from modest backgrounds and became titans in the industry.

As far as Mr Chen, I think he has done a great job saving Blackberry as a company, while some of the faithful hate the fact they no long made their own devices, well it could be the alternative of having no Blackberry at all if things were left to the previous regime.

I prefer having them around even if it means TCL or another company is now making devices for them, they still have the Blackberry logo on them and thats good enough for me.
    Last edited by bakron1; 05-11-17 at 07:04 AM. Reason: spelling erros
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-11-17 07:01 AM
    Steve Jobs was a very unique individual and people like him only come along once in a while, he was innovative, creative and new how to market his products. He could also get in front of an audience and get folks fired up about his ideas and products which is a gift.

As a CEO he made the company billions and a lot of folks are rich because of him who invested in the company when times where lean and had faith in him to turn things around. There are a lot of folks out there who are smart and have great ideas, but don't know how to market them or run a business, he had both qualities.

In the age of computers, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Steve Wozniak, Peter Norton, Dr An Wang, Seymour Cray and Micheal Dell where folks I admired in the industry. Started from modest backgrounds and became titans in the industry.

As far as Mr Chen, I think he has done a great job saving Blackberry as a company, while some of the faithful hate the fact they no long made their own devices, well it could be the alternative of having no Blackberry at all if things were left to the previous regime.

I prefer having them around even if it means TCL or another company is now making devices for them, they still have the Blackberry logo on them and thats good enough for me.
    Good enough for me also!
    By the way, I think is possible in a near future Blackberry go back to phones production with BB10 or 11, or something like that. I see Android only as a lifeboat for the next 5 maybe more years

Posted via Mr. Chen Passport
    05-11-17 08:14 AM
    Good enough for me also!
    By the way, I think is possible in a near future Blackberry go back to phones production with BB10 or 11, or something like that. I see Android only as a lifeboat for the next 5 maybe more years

Yeah,,, that will never happen and you know it..

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015 likes this.
    05-11-17 08:47 AM
    The only thing they have in common is that they were both able to turn around(maybe restructure is a better word)struggling companies. Jobs was smart enough to know his weaknesses and wise enough to hire people who could offset them. Hopefully, Chen will prove as adept at those things as Jobs was. We'll see.
    Last edited by MikeX74; 05-11-17 at 05:04 PM.
    05-11-17 11:04 AM
    Yeah,,, that will never happen and you know it..

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I know it...

05-11-17 01:40 PM
    Is this question a joke?

Posted via CB10
    05-12-17 09:44 AM
    Is this question a joke?

Posted via CB10
    Was not as statement... here we discuss ideas, even though they seem to be stupid. We can not spend the rest of our crackberry lives talking about the k1 )

05-12-17 09:59 AM
    05-12-17 12:50 PM
    Is this question a joke?

Posted via CB10
    You mean like when people asked 4 years ago, if BB10 was going to save BlackBerry from becoming irrelevant?
    05-12-17 05:20 PM
    You mean like when people asked 4 years ago, if BB10 was going to save BlackBerry from becoming irrelevant?
    No, he is referring to BlackBerry androids as the most secure and successful android smartphones!! Lol!!

Posted via CB10
    05-13-17 12:10 AM
    Are you implying that Googleberry made Blackberry relevant or even more irrelevant than during bb10 days?

Either way Chen has been a complete failure of a CEO. Had he promised in 2013 what he has accomplished now, nobody would have hired him.

Blackberry is totally irrelevant, with a tenth of the software development prowess and software development team of what BlackBerry was in 2013. After almost 4 years, you can no longer blame the 10 times drop in revenue on Lazaridis. Chen didn't come up with any new products. He used existing cash to acquire some even more irrelevant software companies.
    Blackberry still was in the top 2-3 high tech companies in Canada in 2013.
    They don't exist now!

To compare Chen to Jobs is like comparing a mouse to an elephant...and I have never liked Chairman Jobs and Apple products. But I do recognize his vision and his qualities. Chen has none other than cost reduction and layoffs. He is a bean counter, not a high-tech entrepreneur. That says it all.

Any of the previous BlackBerry CEOS could have cut and slashed the company to a tenth of its size, but they would have been ashamed to do so, not proud of it. Nobody would have considered that anything but utter failure.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by sorinv; 05-13-17 at 04:11 AM.
    crackberry_geek and stlabrat like this.
    05-13-17 03:58 AM
    Are you implying that Googleberry made Blackberry relevant or even more irrelevant than during bb10 days?

Either way Chen has been a complete failure of a CEO. Had he promised in 2013 what he has accomplished now, nobody would have hired him.

Blackberry is totally irrelevant, with a tenth of the software development prowess and software development team of what BlackBerry was in 2013. After almost 4 years, you can no longer blame the 10 times drop in revenue on Lazaridis. Chen didn't come up with any new products. He used existing cash to acquire some even more irrelevant software companies.
    They don't exist now!

To compare Chen to Jobs is like comparing a mouse to an elephant...and I have never liked Chairman Jobs and Apple products. But I do recognize his vision and his qualities. Chen has none other than cost reduction and layoffs. He is a bean counter, not a high-tech entrepreneur. That says it all.

Any of the previous BlackBerry CEOS could have cut and slashed the company to a tenth of its size, but they would have been ashamed to do so, not proud of it. Nobody would have considered that anything but utter failure.

Posted via CB10
    Fairfax , Prem and the Board of Directors seem to be happy with the job he's done. I guess their "opinion" is what matters.

Have you considered launching a hostile takeover of the company??

Posted via CB10
    05-13-17 05:24 AM

They don't exist now!

Posted via CB10
    http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/04/04/bl...er-rbc-canada/

John Chen named Executive of the Year by Ascend Canada https://www.crackberry.com/john-chen...-ascend-canada

Chen did exactly what he was specifically hired to do. Obviously shedding devices was going to drastically reduce the size of the company. But that was the plan.
    05-13-17 08:01 AM
    http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/04/04/bl...er-rbc-canada/

John Chen named Executive of the Year by Ascend Canada https://www.crackberry.com/john-chen...-ascend-canada

Chen did exactly what he was specifically hired to do. Obviously shedding devices was going to drastically reduce the size of the company. But that was the plan.
    Of course that was the plan, still a failure nonetheless.
    A company that decreases 10 times in 3 years is a failure, not a success.
    If it disappeared today or yesterday, nobody would care or notice.
    Even their software output is significantly smaller than in 2013.
    Blackberry was a much bigger software company in 2013 than it is now.

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    05-13-17 09:09 AM
    Fairfax , Prem and the Board of Directors seem to be happy with the job he's done. I guess their "opinion" is what matters.

Have you considered launching a hostile takeover of the company??

Posted via CB10
    What for? It's of no use to me.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-17 09:10 AM
    Of course that was the plan, still a failure nonetheless.
    A company that decreases 10 times in 3 years is a failure, not a success.
    If it disappeared today or yesterday, nobody would care or notice.
    Even their software output is significantly smaller than in 2013.
    Blackberry was a much bigger software company in 2013 than it is now.

Posted via CB10
    Their "software" division, in 2013, was 90% made up of BIS revenue. BlackBerry knew that was doomed as well, along with devices - before Chen was hired.

The fact that BlackBerry even exists today, in a position of profitability, with a number of growth opportunities, is nothing short of a miracle.
    05-13-17 09:17 AM
35 12