Anyone know anything about Mozilla's supposed mobile web browser?

Will it have tabbed browsing like its older brother Firefox?

Any talk of stable beta's or release dates for BB versions?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-08 05:42 AM
    nothing concrete yet on exact dates, but it looks like early 2009. opera would be perfect if you could copy/paste from the browser.
    12-09-08 10:52 AM
    Firefox on my Berry..that would be great!!

12-09-08 11:26 AM
    Anyone know anything about Mozilla's supposed mobile web browser?

Will it have tabbed browsing like its older brother Firefox?

Any talk of stable beta's or release dates for BB versions?

There are a few Alphas out there, but not for BB yet. The current version is 1.0 Alpha 1. Yes, they were working on tabbed browsing, but they are trying to figure out how to make it work on the mobile platform.
    12-09-08 08:51 PM
    Do they have an ETA for a BB version?

12-10-08 12:02 AM
    I really don't think they should focus on tabbed browsing. I agree that would be nice, but I would prefer they just get it working on the mobile devices.
    12-10-08 08:08 AM
    Tabbed browsing is better than it sounds - had it on winmo and it would really slow things down, or if one page crashed/got stuck then the whole lot would go down. If they could keep anything like that to just the tab it occurred on, they'd make me a happy man.

12-10-08 09:48 AM
    Knowing mozilla, they won't take any chances with releasing a buggy beta. It will be tested hardcore.

I think once they get a nice flow going it'll all come together nicely.

12-10-08 10:46 AM
    Firefox on my Berry..that would be great!!

yes it will be nice to have an alternative to bb and opera. I don't think I really need tabbed browsing as much as something that loads fast and is reliable. Will we ever get flash support for youtube etc?

btw is that really you in your avatar? you are a beautiful woman!
    12-10-08 10:49 AM
    You can do youtube now. m.youtube.com Looking at the browser on the Storm, and a few other models makes me think, come OS 4.6 or 4.7 the BB browser should be killer, and give us the browser we have been waiting for.
    12-10-08 11:35 AM
    Does the storm utilize flash?

12-10-08 02:07 PM
    Last I heard Mozilla was not working on a BlackBerry version. The BlackBerry OS does not support native code applications (C,C++). I believe a lot of libraries that Mozilla wants to use would have to be ported to Java and at the moment they do not want to bother.
    12-10-08 02:11 PM
    Last I heard Mozilla was not working on a BlackBerry version. The BlackBerry OS does not support native code applications (C,C++). I believe a lot of libraries that Mozilla wants to use would have to be ported to Java and at the moment they do not want to bother.

that is too bad. mozilla firefox on my bb would have been the ultimate. oh well.
    12-10-08 02:15 PM
    Tabbed browsing is better than it sounds - had it on winmo and it would really slow things down, or if one page crashed/got stuck then the whole lot would go down. If they could keep anything like that to just the tab it occurred on, they'd make me a happy man.

I agree tab issues not affecting other tabs would be nice, but would probably require a major rewrite of the tab code. Because all tabs are a object contained in the browser, a crashed or slow tab affects the browser itself. Thus affecting the other tabs.

IMO in essence what would have to happen to have tabs without them affecting one another is have a non-tabbed browser (think older IE versions) running inside of a container program to make them appear to be tabs, but in essence are all separate browsers running independently.

That way if one locked up or crashed. It would only affect that instance of the running browser and leave the other browsers running fine in the container program.

That approach is very impractical expecially when trying to do that on a mobile device. Running 5 - 10 instances of a complete browser inside of another program would take far too many resources. Where as with current tabbed browsing you have one instance of the browser running with objects (tabs) that keep track of just the URL they're viewing, cache, etc. instead of loading all browser requirements (toolbars, html rendering engine, etc) for each object (tab).

That is why when one tab dies, 99.9% of the time they all die. It's not just the tab object dying or locking up, it's the browser itself dying.
    12-10-08 02:29 PM
    Firefox on blackberry....hmmm. I would like a foxberry, or would it be fireberry?
    12-12-08 09:37 PM
    Fireberry sounds cool lol.

As far as browsing issues go, it can't be any worse than Opera Mini. I've had so many problems with it that I just deleted it off the device and just used the BB browser.

Mozilla is open source, so it should be helpful when other people help out with the coding. Add-ons for the BB would be stellar too.

12-13-08 12:18 PM
    yes it will be nice to have an alternative to bb and opera. I don't think I really need tabbed browsing as much as something that loads fast and is reliable. Will we ever get flash support for youtube etc?

btw is that really you in your avatar? you are a beautiful woman!
    Aww thanks hon..Yep its me

12-20-08 06:22 PM
    You are very welcome you pretty woman!

Thanks

12-20-08 11:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD