I'm moving to France for a year and I want to buy a Bold 9700 before I leave. Can I buy one with no commitment from T-Mobile or AT& T and have it turned on for service over there with a carrier in France? Are they locked? How much should it cost? Thanks
    11-16-09 07:05 PM
    I'm moving to France for a year and I want to buy a Bold 9700 before I leave. Can I buy one with no commitment from T-Mobile or AT& T and have it turned on for service over there with a carrier in France? Are they locked? How much should it cost? Thanks
    It retails for 450 at Tmobile, not sure about ATT. The BB would come carrier locked so you would need to purchase an unlock code also. You can also purchase unlocked 9700s for around 500-550 from cell phone stores and online stores.

You may also want to consider contacting a French carrier about a 1 year contract. I was playing around in google for you and I found this site...

French Cell Phone Providers - Americans in France
    11-16-09 07:17 PM
    The cool thing too is that depending on the phone you buy, you will have 3G North America and HSPA Europe. Look at the specs of the phone though to make sure.
    11-16-09 07:21 PM
    Orange FR has great coverage, I roam with them without any problems.
    11-16-09 07:28 PM
    I just noticed you own a Storm1, which as you may know is a world phone. It has the European 3G frequencies. You can get your Storm unlocked and then put a french carrier's SIM in there, IF you want. SFR is the Storm provider in France, BUT it looks like both SFR & Orange support Blackberrys. The other one I don't think so.
    11-16-09 07:36 PM
    Thanks for the info!
    11-16-09 07:44 PM
    Get the 9700 from Tmobile because that one will have both Tmobile USA 3g coverage, and Europe 3g coverage.

Also they do free unlocks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-09 09:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD