Can I move ring tones and apps to my sd card?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-09 07:14 AM
    You can move ringtones, but apps will not work on the memory card.
    03-30-09 07:24 AM
    Too bad about not moving apps, do u know if the app data can be moved?

03-30-09 07:29 AM
    Not sure about that. It might be possible. What are you trying to save to the card other than ringtones?
    03-30-09 07:30 AM
    Applications have to be specifically written to write data to the SD card. If not, then they will more than likely use internal storage.

A few applications that use SD card storage:

- KeePasBB - A password keeper can store its data on SD.
    - MobiPocket ebook reader will read from /ebooks on the SD card.
    - eReader will read from /ereader on SD.
    - The default Media player can read files on SD.

I agree, it would be nice to see more apps utilize external storage (or even the added 1GB internal storage of the Bold).

As an example, I love the Ascendo applications. Almost everything they do is a database application of some sort (Money, Fitness...). It would be great to see the option to store data on SD card and free up internal memory.

Sometimes, I have heard that it makes synchronizing information between PC and BB harder. MobiPocket synchronizes annotations, along with transferring new books to SD card when downloaded to PC. It has no problem with synchronizing to SD. This makes me wonder why other applications say it is difficult.?.?.

One of the things I look at when it comes to data-intensive applications. If the only option is to store data internally, then I have to really evaluate the value of the product. If more applications took advantage of external/additional memory, it would make the buying decision a lot easier.
    03-30-09 07:55 AM
    I need to free memory. I'm struggling to stay above 10meg, and only have 2 emails in my in box.

I don't really have big apps running, standard bb apps, some launch to sites, yahoo-IM, doc to go, pacman.

I removed two apps that I'd like to load back on, google maps and tinytwitter, but this means that I will be at 8meg. Then if I save some emails or tweets I'm in the 0meg range on my mem.

I'd like to keep data off the bb, keep it in the cloud, or sd - ideally.

By the way, my bb is an 8830, running 4.5.127

03-30-09 07:59 AM
    rw69 - it sounds like you haven't gone through the memoory optimization tips. Have you? There are ways to free up memory by removing the sample video, other sample files, as well as removing applications you don't use. Check out the tips section for more information.

I run my 88830WE with around 13MB free (4.5.0.138), and that is with MobiPocket Reader (~460K), JiveTalk (~600K), Garmin Mobile (~1M+), an iBerry theme (~600K) and a bunch of other applications taking up 100-200K each (total of 12 apps and one added theme). When in use, my free space usually hovers around 10~12MB, and drops to 8~9MB while JiveTalk is running (but jumps back up when I shut it down).

I do have to say, when I was running 4.5.0.127, I had about 2MB less free memory. While JiveTalk was running, I would often see 6MB free.

Since you are a USCC customer like me, I would suggest updating to 4.5.0.138. The updater in DM will find it, and you can go out to RIMs website to download it.
    03-30-09 08:43 AM
    There is an app called aerize card loader that allows you to store apps on the memory card. I have the trial right now and have loaded multiple games and viigo on it. Its really easy to use if you download OTA directly to it. I know that you can also transfer apps to the card using the computer, bit I haven't tried that yet. It seems much more complicated. You can get the trial in the Crackberry app store.
    03-30-09 09:45 AM
    Would be nice to be able to save apps onto the memory card, unfortunately you can't Boo
    03-30-09 09:47 AM
    I have removed a bunch of stuff and ring tones, I was at 0bytes just a few days ago, now have more memory, but would like to add more apps.

Sounds like I still need to clean house, maybe load the new OS too.

03-30-09 09:54 PM
    I used to use aerize cardloader, and while it was a good idea, in order to "unload" the application, you have to uninstall it from your device, so you lose whatever settings you had. I ended up deleting it because it was more of a hassle for me than it was worth.

03-30-09 10:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD