I currently have an HTC Raider(Vivid in the US) but am trying to decide whether to stick with android or go back to a blackberry. While i do like the android OS for its many apps, smooth operation, and customization, i miss the blackberry for BBM and its overall messaging capabilities. I am torn between the two, and would like to hear your opinions on moving from one platform to the other, as well as the pros and cons of both platforms. Thanks in advance for the responses
    01-03-12 11:24 AM
    Ironic, I'm considering the same in reverse. I've been a loyal crackberry user for a few years now, but I'm considering going to android just for a bit, until BB10 comes out. I'm tired of my 9650, my upgrade is at the end of june, but I'm not willing to use it for an OS7 device knowing BB10 is due by year end.

So I considered picking up a Samsung Fascinate or Droid2Global just to play with for 9 months, as both seem to be cheaper to obtain then say a 9930.

Now for you, you've been on android and BB is still a lingering thought it your head, which means Android hasn't quite scratched your itch.
    01-03-12 11:31 AM
    your right, blackberry is still something im strongly considering. somedays i will miss bbm and the keyboard, other days i dont think about it. While android is a great platform and i have little complaints about it, i cant shake the feeling that something is lacking compared to blackberry
    01-03-12 11:47 AM

Now for you, you've been on android and BB is still a lingering thought it your head, which means Android hasn't quite scratched your itch.
    Trust me, it depends on the phone and carrier. If I had a Droid or something I doubt I would have switched, but using Android 1.6 at near-GPRS speeds is not cool; it's almost as bad as using Windows 95 on a 56k connection in 2011.
    01-03-12 11:51 AM
    What messaging capabilities are you missing?

Are there people you cannot text because they're only one BBM?

If you feel like you're missing out, go pick one up. If you don't like it, then return it.

For me, I just don't know if I could move back to a phone without a large screen and virtual keyboard with such a media and gaming rich experience.
    01-03-12 11:59 AM
    well i was missing bbm, but ive been starting to notice that im adjusting without it, i guess its because ive had a blackberry for so long im used to it
    01-03-12 01:23 PM
    Stay or go is a common theme.

When people ask me for computer recommendations, I always start with the simpliest of questions (and the same applies here):

What do you want to do with it?

Start with that as a filter and it will all work itself out.
    01-03-12 01:27 PM
    Go iOS!!!!!
    01-03-12 01:53 PM
    Do yourself a favor. Go see about a 9850/9860. These blackberrys are awsome. Touch screen only and message,media, and browseing machines. A couple of my buddies that use androids like my 9860. No they are not going out and getting nor do they have plans to. They like it though. You might also. Os7 has a lot to offer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-12 04:18 PM
    Well, I say this. The android platform has a wall of apps like iOS that can be a selling point to some, agreed. But for me a phone is a communication tool first and foremost and in that regard the BB has the driods beat (iOS as well I think). In this day and age the phone as the entire mobile platform is over for me, and should be for all of you, lol. I will no longer spend time staring at my little screen when I know have my wonderful playbook at my side. I just can't be bothered with many phone apps and games now. Not worth it. Not at all.

To qualify my opinion I'm an Apple tech and just dumped iOS for BB. a BB phone and a PB bridged is the best combo you can have. My son is also happy he has no competition for the iPad anymore.
    01-03-12 04:36 PM
    I would stay with Android since they are producing some very impressive phone. Wait and see what happens with BB10 and then decide. Purchasing a BB OS7 phone now would not be wise since the OS is going to be orphaned for QNX.
    01-03-12 05:05 PM
    But for me a phone is a communication tool first and foremost and in that regard the BB has the driods beat (iOS as well I think).
    How so? All of my Android devices have made and recieved calls just as well as any of my BBs. The same goes for text messaging. My emails come just as fast on my Android devices as they did on my BBs...except I don't have any truncated emails like I did quite a bit on my BB devices. I didn't have any FF cameras on my BBs; I do on my Android, so I can video conference.

I don't get this whole this device beats that device as a communication device. Email, text, phone...maybe video conferencing thrown in. Now if BBM is a huge deal, well, then one should stick with BB.
    teknishun likes this.
    01-03-12 05:13 PM
    But for me a phone is a communication tool first and foremost and in that regard the BB has the driods beat (iOS as well I think).
    I read this a lot in here, but I am confused as to what it means exactly. Outside of BBM (Which I've always thought was an overrated experience because there are multi-platform alternatives), how exactly does it communicate "better" than an iOS or an Android device? Serious question.
    01-03-12 05:22 PM
    Well. What it means to me is in my life there is no time for screwing around with my little phone. I'm a single dad with an autistic 4 year old and I work for myself. All I need out a phone is great communication. I've been an iOS user since day 1 and have had a coupe androids as well (being a tech I just can't help it) but as good as any auto correct touch screen keyboard is, in my opinion, it will never be as good as a great keyboard can be. I find the little light for alerts great as I can colour code them for different accounts, types and such. I find I have better battery life as I am not constantly screwing around with it. I like the security and piece of mind that I won't accidentally screw up installing an app that is nefarious in nature (android!). It goes on and on.

Trust me, I'm not being a blinded fan boy at all. I just don't have the "fanboy gene" in me. But after having owned and used the others I feel the Playbook & BB phone combo kills all.
    01-03-12 05:31 PM
    For me call Quality and Battery life has been top notch on the Blackberry's
    and I come from a long line of IOS devices
    and one Galaxy S Android device.
    All on AT&T
    Now I did miss the apps/games, but the Playbook has more
    than filled that hole for me.
    Op what OS blackberry did you have?
    I recently tried a OS5 9000 and I didnt like it
    too slow. Thank god my first device was OS6.
    I would suggest if you do decide on Blackberry to get a OS7 device.
    01-03-12 06:23 PM
    Get a BlackBerry phone and the playbook.
    01-03-12 06:34 PM
    man.. I just copped the Galaxy Nexus on release day. It is day and night. I dont miss bbm .. All my bbm contacts use "touch" (works on blackberry, droid, and ios) .. best phone I ever owned. I also have a Playbook and the wifi hotspot is blazing on the Nexus. Best decision I made.. BB7 just wasnt enough to keep me. Just my opinion.. dont miss my BB at all. (granted I had a 9550 - - touchscreen is the only way I'll go)
    01-03-12 06:44 PM
    thanks everyone for your replies, right now ill probably stick with android, but i wont be ruling out blackberry anytime soon.
    01-03-12 07:38 PM
    Switched from an Evo to a 8530 Curve and became addicted. Now I'm using a BB Bold 9930 and I haven't considered switching from BB even once.
    Android has way more apps/games (BB seems to have most the big name apps though), 4"+ screens, and for the brave hackers, Android seems to provide the most hackability.
    Android also has horrible battery life, a jittery and gimmicky OS, and bad ergonomics.

BlackBerry is very systematic, quick, and reliable, and I get 24-50 hr. battery life on my 9930. Although smooth BB lacks the "glitter" and the games seem to be consistently worse on BB's (I personally don't think Android has games worth keeping a phone for). BlackBerries are great MP3 players. Also, I like BBM Music. RIM seem to really have everyday use in mind from the ground up. I don't think a BB can be explained, it needs to be experienced in the real world. I am very impressed with the new BlackBerry phones.

Don't forget about your 14-30 day return policy if you want to try something out.
    scott.slater likes this.
    01-03-12 11:18 PM
    Yes, the app selection is more vast but I have heard bad things as far as operating goes with the HTC devices. When it comes to Android I have heard that the Motorola devices have been far superior to the HTC ones. I owned an HTC before and was back to a Blackberry in 3 months. On the other hand, my BB Bold 9930 does everything I want it to, the app selection is great but if I want to play games or use apps I just hop on to my iPad. As far as operation and useability I vote for BB all the way.
    01-04-12 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD