weirdly 2 hours after the 32 second reboot, BBME showed up in my Hub. So that's one hurdle down!
    However it shows up, take it for the point. Glad to hear and best of luck to you.
    05-24-19 01:29 PM
    Got it working on my Windows desktop now.

If it becomes popular enough later wonder if BB consider making a Linux install and some deb package.
    05-25-19 08:02 PM
    I was just trying to set it up today, but it looks like BBME is only 6 months free instead of 12 months?
    05-29-19 05:55 AM
    Let your demand be known.

For me BBMe is more than enough. The recent BBM was a joke of options that are a waste of resources.

Give me back 2G networks with reliability and I'm a happy camper. Not happy with the way artificial markets going these days. They prey on our ignorance and sell us stuff we don't need.
    Yes. Yes. Yes.

Just because bandwidth, memory and processing power are cheap doesn't mean we should be using them. Apps, like scientific models, should be as simple as possible, but no simpler.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    givechanceachance likes this.
    05-29-19 07:45 AM
    That's lost on many of the BBM zealots here on the CB forums and if you raise the point you're quickly criticized as not a BBMe supporter. Fanaticism can be so blinding as hard to see the big picture.

If you can't get BBMe to do what you want, two well respected members have made a great case for either Signal or Telegram messaging. I'm here in the USA so I'm fine with SMS/MMS for my use case. Another one someone did suggest was Threema but I didn't read much else about it.
    @Denis Fedotenko

Perhaps this person can help. I believe they're a BlackBerry support person for BBMe @Denis Fedotenko
    The thing with SMS / MMS is that they are fundamentally, irredeemably insecure. As in, it's incredibly easy for criminals and spies to intercept them, spoof them, or take over your SIM and impersonate you, and nation states likely have every message ever sent saved somewhere. If you're comfortable with that, and I'm not saying whether you should or shouldn't be, then SMS and MS are fine.

Any financial services firm that still allows people to authenticate via SMS is grossly negligent, IMO.

05-29-19 07:50 AM
    Yes. Yes. Yes.

Just because bandwidth, memory and processing power are cheap doesn't mean we should be using them. Apps, like scientific models, should be as simple as possible, but no simpler.

But they are simple, for the people that want to use simple, you're not denied alternative means of communication. If consumers want to give away or pay for their consumerism, that's freedom to choose, good or bad, smart or dumb.
    05-29-19 07:50 AM
    But they are simple, for the people that want to use simple, you're not denied alternative means of communication. If consumers want to give away or pay for their consumerism, that's freedom to choose, good or bad, smart or dumb.
    Sure, but being popular and being good are two different things, as most of us learned in middle school. I'm not trying to stop people making, selling, or using crap products and services, but that doesn't mean I'm going to pretend they're good products and services.

05-29-19 07:54 AM
    I was just trying to set it up today, but it looks like BBME is only 6 months free instead of 12 months?
    Where did you see this?

Posted via CB10
    05-29-19 07:58 AM
    The thing with SMS / MMS is that they are fundamentally, irredeemably insecure. As in, it's incredibly easy for criminals and spies to intercept them, spoof them, or take over your SIM and impersonate you, and nation states likely have every message ever sent saved somewhere. If you're comfortable with that, and I'm not saying whether you should or shouldn't be, then SMS and MS are fine.

Any financial services firm that still allows people to authenticate via SMS is grossly negligent, IMO.

You know that institutions will only require what the regulators or consumers demand that's cheapest for business. How long did the rest of the planet adopt chips in payment cards? How long ago was it supposed to be completed here? How many cards does average person have that hasn't been replaced yet? How many extensions has the industry been granted because of regulatory miscalculation?

It's also similar to airbag recall and we can go on and on and on. I agree with you in theory but I just don't feel I'm that interesting for bad actors or have enough money...LOL
    05-29-19 08:04 AM
    You know that institutions will only require what the regulators or consumers demand that's cheapest for business. How long did the rest of the planet adopt chips in payment cards? How long ago was it supposed to be completed here? How many cards does average person have that hasn't been replaced yet? How many extensions has the industry been granted because of regulatory miscalculation?

It's also similar to airbag recall and we can go on and on and on. I agree with you in theory but I just don't feel I'm that interesting for bad actors or have enough money...LOL
    Like I said, I'm not worried about anyone who makes an informed decision regarding their own risk. I just don't want anyone sending user names, passwords, money wiring instructions, etc., or using SMS as a second factor for authentication to be under the illusion that it's either secure or private.

It's 10,000% better to use SMS as a second factor than not to use multi-factor authentication, however!

05-29-19 08:31 AM
    Switched the while family to BBM Enterprise. Pretty easy, love the desktop app.
    05-29-19 05:27 PM
    Switched the while family to BBM Enterprise. Pretty easy, love the desktop app.
    I'm assuming you move the whole family because white family would be very odd. How's the family either way enjoying?
    05-29-19 07:47 PM
    weirdly 2 hours after the 32 second reboot, BBME showed up in my Hub. So that's one hurdle down!
    I am glad it worked for you. Sometimes I have found that after a 32 second reboot, the phone has to "settle."
    06-01-19 07:21 AM
    It is free for a year and then you pay for it in 6 month increments. ($2.99 US every 6 Mos.)
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    06-01-19 07:24 AM
39 12