I couldn't believe it when I saw the pictures of the new Motorola Droid Pro posted here on Engadget:

Motorola Droid Pro, first hands-on! (update: specs and screencaps!) -- Engadget

Yes, some of this symbols and numbers are in a different layout, but that keyboard looks almost like Moto just ripped it right off a Blackberry Bold and rigged it onto their device. For as much as some of us complain about wanting a full touch-screen Berry, there is obviously still a large market for a slab style QWERTY device and everyone but Apple seems to want a piece of that pie.

My question is, isn't this the type of phone RIM should be making? A phone with a nice sized touch-screen and great RIM keyboard? Yes, the Torch is nice, but what about dropping the slider and just putting out something like this? Why is RIM letting a company like Motorola beat them to the punch?
    10-05-10 11:24 PM
    Well, that keyboard, while it looks similar to a BlackBerry, definitely leaves a lot to be desired. The location that low down on the device makes it look like typing will be out-of-balance. Running the # keys across the top row? Odd. Screen is nice, but we'll have to see how well they do. And with the key shape, there's gonna be an infringement suit. Probably see the announcement by noon tomorrow.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-10 11:34 PM
    Very similar keyboard... too bad its so damn ugly. I don't understand what some companies are thinking with these terrible ugly devices they are coming out with. I wouldn't want to whip that thing out at a business meeting and place it down next to a 9700 or a Galaxy S, its just too damn ugly.
    10-05-10 11:39 PM
    RIM didn't invent the keyboard for a smartphone. lol I'd relax about it... besides, it's not even curved.
    10-05-10 11:44 PM
    It's almost the same thing, except the placement of certain symbols/numbers and it doesn't have the circular tilt all BlackBerry keyboards have. I think that's a really underrated part of BlackBerry keyboards. Still a sweet looking device.
    10-05-10 11:46 PM
    RIM didn't invent the keyboard for a smartphone. lol I'd relax about it... besides, it's not even curved.
    The keys are beveled out, from the middle toward the outside, just like the Bold/Tour/Torch keyboards... check the pictures, I'm surprised RIM isn't hopping all over them with copyright infringement.
    10-05-10 11:56 PM
    I think I see a little sand in the corner, from the parking lot of some office in Waterloo...
    Last edited by mechanic_joe; 10-06-10 at 12:02 AM.
    10-05-10 11:59 PM
    "Ripped off" is a pretty steep claim.. Apparently, some of you have forgotten that back in 2002 RIM actually got the patent for there keyboard. Part of that agreement was the fact they licensed the keyboard out to at the time Handspring (Palm) and Motorola. All of which was also addressed later on in the most recent Motorola vs. RIM disputes as well.

"Our agreement with Handspring further validates our strong patent portfolio and leadership in innovative wireless communications solutions like BlackBerry™," said Jim Balsillie, Chairman and Co-CEO at Research In Motion. "RIM is committed to licensing its patents and technologies to provide customers with high-quality and proven products that leverage our extensive wireless expertise."

"Wireless device users are finding that integrated QWERTY keyboards are a fast, easy and familiar method of data input," said Donna Dubinsky, founder and CEO of Handspring. "We are pleased to come to this agreement with RIM so that we can focus our resources on product innovation and expanding the market for our Treo communicators."
    10-06-10 12:14 AM
    honestlyvif owned that phone I would never pull it out its just to nasty looking holy are they serious look at it!
    10-06-10 05:24 AM
    You know....I like it....

I would buy it, except I don't care for Android. If it ran WM I'd buy one.

I'm waiting for that Dell WN device later this year, I'd get that one too.

10-06-10 06:06 AM
    LOL. So does that mean HP can sue RIM for ripping off the Treo keyboard? Or whoever invented the typewriter can sue over all the PC/Mac keyboards out now? Its a QWERTY keyboard for christ sakes!! Only so many ways you can do it.
    10-06-10 08:36 AM
    ... The location that low down on the device makes it look like typing will be out-of-balance. ....
    I have to agree here. It does look like it would be very difficult to type on. I think RIM did it better with the Torch and it's slide out keyboard.
    10-06-10 08:43 AM
    All I can say is that RIM needs to get the Torch on more then just AT&T.
    Releasing on the "IPad" network was not smart to start with.

Putting it on Verizon and some other CDMAs and also on GSMs would open its
    sales potential. This "exclusive" phone crap is no longer a viable marketing
    method. Good for the service provider, bad for the phone maker. The services are getting more alike everyday as is coverage and performance. Thus the phone itself is dropping into the drivers seat. People are switching to get "X" phone. They are not switching, as much, for a service/price/coverage differences.

RIM can gain back "some" of its market share if they stop thinking folks will buy their phones simply because it says "Blackberry" on it or has the BB keyboard. Ask Ford, Chevy and Chrysler how well this worked for them over the years.

What would you say, if you wanted to purchase a new Malibu, and one condition of the sale is that you had to use BP gas and only BP gas. That your car would not run on any other brand or type?? Would you buy the car?

RIM needs to reduce the number of different models they have out in the wild, concentrate on the ones that are worth concentrating on and get back to producing a "smart" phone that folks really want and can get!

Tim
    10-06-10 08:52 AM
    The keys are beveled out, from the middle toward the outside, just like the Bold/Tour/Torch keyboards... check the pictures, I'm surprised RIM isn't hopping all over them with copyright infringement.
    Paleeze! Are you seriously going to tell me I missed a detail like that.

I saw it and I thought it looked very close to a BB keyboard as well, but I also think that too many fanboys here automatically jump for the jugular when something even looks close to what RIM makes. I'm willing to bet that if Mike sneezed on paper that someone would claim that from that point on everyone who sneezes needs to be sued for copyright or at least pay a royalty or something. lol

Get over it.... there's only so many ways you can design something.
    10-06-10 09:40 AM
    In this thread: RIM fanboys dissing a phone that's better than any Blackberry.

Love it.

Now THAT'S funny!!
    10-06-10 09:40 AM

Love it.
    How do you know that? It isn't even out yet to try?

Love it.
    10-06-10 10:45 AM

Love it.

Amusing, quite amusing. For some things I would acknowledge Droid does very well. Messaging, not so much. If I need multimedia, I have much better sources than a phone.

10-06-10 11:00 AM
    Messaging is great on android....you should try it sometime....
    10-06-10 11:12 AM
    Just discovered this ! what an horrible device ! I hope RIM will never built such an ugly device.
    Torch is by far much nice and usable.
    10-06-10 11:22 AM
    Messaging is great on android....you should try it sometime....
    Yes, it's so good that during a recent demo I did with a friend of mine using a Droid, I was able to compose and send 4 messages to his one. I was also receiving email from all of my email accounts seamlessly while his was 'polling' his various accounts, except for Gmail. And he's been using it since day one. And Droid has yet to produce a keyboard that I can type efficiently on. You assume that I haven't tried them. Oops.

10-06-10 11:25 AM
    Yes, it's so good that during a recent demo I did with a friend of mine using a Droid, I was able to compose and send 4 messages to his one. I was also receiving email from all of my email accounts seamlessly while his was 'polling' his various accounts, except for Gmail. And he's been using it since day one. And Droid has yet to produce a keyboard that I can type efficiently on. You assume that I haven't tried them. Oops.

Hmmm. Let's see. True push and SYNC with Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo mail on Android vs just push on BB. The fastest mobile keyboard record belongs to the Swype software keyboard on Android - and not any BB. And now Motorola comes out with a BB-like keyboard.

Yup that's a crappy messaging platform Android has got going there.
    10-06-10 11:33 AM
    I think I see a little sand in the corner, from the parking lot of some office in Waterloo...
    Lol. Is the trackpad loose and top bezel raised?? Definitely a law suit for infringement.
    10-06-10 11:50 AM
    There's one big problem with this phone, it's not a Blackberry
    10-06-10 12:12 PM
    Hmmm. Let's see. True push and SYNC with Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo mail on Android vs just push on BB. The fastest mobile keyboard record belongs to the Swype software keyboard on Android - and not any BB. And now Motorola comes out with a BB-like keyboard.

Yup that's a crappy messaging platform Android has got going there.

Again, what one person can do on their device does not equate to what I've experienced. Android does not produce a set that I find comfortable to type on. It messages fine if those are the accounts you're just limited to, but there. You lije your Droid, but I see time and time again people that make the same 'downgrades' for the same reasons. There are people that love blood sausage, shellfish, and seafood. While they are food and very popular, I would only consume them to stay alive, as a last resort. And nowhere did I say it was a crappy platform, it isn't up to my taste.

10-06-10 12:14 PM
    Very similar keyboard... too bad its so damn ugly. I don't understand what some companies are thinking with these terrible ugly devices they are coming out with. I wouldn't want to whip that thing out at a business meeting and place it down next to a 9700 or a Galaxy S, its just too damn ugly.
    REALLY it looks just like the mythical Dakota that everyone is/was raving about....and it's UGLY?!?!?

pot meet kettle, kettle this pot.
    10-06-10 01:37 PM
335 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD