View Poll Results: Agree or not with: "This is the beginning of the end for mobile hardware, its just too commodit

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree, Mobile Hardware Margins Get Crushed

15 42.86%
  • No, there will always be demand for Higher End Phones

20 57.14%
    I don't think it's the death of high end hardware. Just high priced hardware other than apple. If they can sell this phone for $179 now, imagine what they will be soon able to offer for $400 from this Google company.
    11-14-13 07:33 AM
    The Note 3 hit 5 million channel sales in one month. I don't think high end is dead.
    mikeycollins13 likes this.
    11-14-13 08:07 AM
    What are the merits you speak of?

Can you list a single one that Android and iOS doesn't already have that the masses actually cares about?
    That's the thing... they can't. They keep mentioning all the merits of BB10 as if it weren't already available on other phones - but they are... at least the stuff that people care about.
    And when those things are already available on the competitions phones, then people look to see what the competition offers that Blackberry doesn't - and then that's when BB loses out.

My work offered free upgrades to BB10, iPhone 5c and Galaxy S4.... most chose iPhone/S4. A few of my co-workers chose a BB10 phone all they all say the same thing - "there aren't many good apps for it". Some have played with my Nexus 5 phone and are envious because it does everything the BB10 phone does and more. A few have already exchanged their phones for either iPhone or the S4. They felt they can do so much more on the other phones than they can with BB10. The app situation makes all the difference because all the other stuff (ie. communication) can be done by all the phones.
    11-14-13 08:43 AM
    The Note 3 hit 5 million channel sales in one month. I don't think high end is dead.
    This is highly unique phone. Stylus is great addition. Note 3 makes any tablets unnecessary.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    11-14-13 08:48 AM
    No LTE, no sd, 720p only but has complete Play Store access... with Gmail, G+, Gdrive, keep... and much more like ip TV app from Internet provider, bank apps, parking apps....

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 09:52 AM
    This is why BlackBerry needs to focus on secure government and enterprise BES market. Consumer handset market is a zero profit game.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 10:47 AM
    No LTE then it's a no go.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 11:33 AM
    I'm not impressed by the Moto G. The death of high end hardware may be coming nigh (at least for non-Apple OEMs); but, there are better value hardware out there such as the Lumia 520.

Realize that the Moto G has a Quad Core ARM Cortex A7. This is significantly slower than a Snapdragon 600 with Quad Core ARM Cortex A15s and not high end hardware. It should only be a half notch faster than the dual core that's in the Lumia 520. Motorola and amazing value doesn't go hand in hand.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 11-14-13 at 12:09 PM.
    11-14-13 11:54 AM
    Apple has to be worried about phones like the Moto G. Phones like it make it harder and harder for Apple to justify the ridiculous margins they charge. Great for consumers though. We should all hope phones like the Moto G and 520 become very successful. In the end it would just force prices down across the board.

Yea I agree. when Microsoft gets fully gets Nokia's hardware expect even more intense competition. Microsoft is even using the asha devices running windows phone they sold 50 million last quarter. Tones of competition from Google and Microsoft not good for Apple and Blackberry

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    11-14-13 01:34 PM
    What are the merits you speak of?

Can you list a single one that Android and iOS doesn't already have that the masses actually cares about?
    Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE I have shown the Hub (and how you can gesture from anywhere system wide), Keyboard, Actionable Notifications and Sharing from anywhere system wide is very impressed by these. In fact, some now have BlackBerry 10 phones or are upgrading to the Z30, after I told them about it, as it is unheard of.

Believe me, BlackBerry 10 DEFINITELY has features people care about. They just don't KNOW about it.

Go up to any yobbo on the street and say 'Hey, what's the latest BlackBerry phone?' and they wouldn't have a clue.

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10 [BBM#6]
    11-14-13 07:40 PM
    Subsidized pricing will keep high-end phones alive, at least here in the U.S. There are large margins and profits to be made in the subsidized phone game. While Samsung and Apple get all the headlines, Sony's mobile division is currently profitable, so is LG's, HTC has been every quarter but one, and Nokia and Blackberry are on the border of being profitable. People here in the U.S. are willing to pay $200 even $300 for a phone, on contract or not, and the best way for all those companies to compete for those consumers is through high-end phones.
    11-14-13 07:53 PM
    No LTE, no sd, 720p only but has complete Play Store access... with Gmail, G+, Gdrive, keep... and much more like ip TV app from Internet provider, bank apps, parking apps....

Posted via CB10
    Specs really do not matter as long as functionality doesn't suffer from the lack of it.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 07:57 PM
    The sad part is most all the negative post (above) are likely from "young adults" working in cell shops.
    11-14-13 08:07 PM
    google isn't dumb they make their money off of services and these will most likely be bought in small numbers in the western world as were obsessed with keeping up with the joneses but in brazil, Africa, India and the middle east they will gain huge market share and as these people get into the android ecosystem they will eventually want something with a little more power and features(not that they don't already have it). this is just a foot in the door high end hardware isn't going anywhere.
    11-14-13 09:26 PM
    Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE I have shown the Hub (and how you can gesture from anywhere system wide), Keyboard, Actionable Notifications and Sharing from anywhere system wide is very impressed by these. In fact, some now have BlackBerry 10 phones or are upgrading to the Z30, after I told them about it, as it is unheard of.

Believe me, BlackBerry 10 DEFINITELY has features people care about. They just don't KNOW about it.

Go up to any yobbo on the street and say 'Hey, what's the latest BlackBerry phone?' and they wouldn't have a clue.

Not a single one of these things are unique features to BlackBerry 10 that the masses care about though. Not one.

Every BlackBerry phone I've ever used over the last 10 years has had the Hub in one form or the other. So we can't call the Hub exclusive to BlackBerry 10 can we? Actually, with BlackBerry 10 you're getting a downgrade. On even my 7250, the Hub was entirely optional.

Android phones have actionable notifications as well. A new email comes in on vanilla Android, and you can Delete, Archive it, or press it to go into the app and reply to it. Look at the recent LG Android-based phones that run the Optimus UI. They all have a feature that works exactly like Toast. A new message comes in and you can reply to it straight from the homescreen without ever entering the required app. This isn't unique or exclusive to BlackBerry 10.

Not sure what you mean by "Sharing from anywhere system wide" as you seem really impressed by it for some reason. But if you're talking about what I think you're talking about, it is on other platforms as well. With Android, I can select any type of file on my device, be it a video, picture, document, zip, whatever - long press on it and see a ton of options available for sharing it. Like I said, maybe that isn't what you are talking about though, but when I was using BlackBerry 10, I never noticed some super awesome exclusive sharing feature.

Gestures - Rember, I mentioned things that people care about? Do you honestly think the masses care about having gestures on their phone? There hasn't been a single gesture-based OS that was successful. Why is that if people care about having gestures? Let's see, what two things do WebOS, MeeGo, BlackBerry Tablet OS and BlackBerry 10 have in common? Well, they're all gesture based and they were all commercial failures. If anything, I'm starting to think having gestures actually hurt BlackBerry 10's adoption rate. The evidince suggests that most people simply don't want to learn gestures.

Keyboard - BlackBerry has always had the best keyboard. No doubt about it. BlackBerry 10 has a great virtual keyboard as well. So why does BlackBerry only have 1% of the market right now? If the masses cared about having the best keyboard, wouldn't we see BlackBerry smartphones flying off of shelves? Are you going to suggest that people just don't know that BlackBerry makes awesome keyboards?
    11-15-13 08:29 AM
    Not a single one of these things are unique features to BlackBerry 10 that the masses care about though. Not one.

Every BlackBerry phone I've ever used over the last 10 years has had the Hub in one form or the other. So we can't call the Hub exclusive to BlackBerry 10 can we? Actually, with BlackBerry 10 you're getting a downgrade. On even my 7250, the Hub was entirely optional.

Android phones have actionable notifications as well. A new email comes in on vanilla Android, and you can Delete, Archive it, or press it to go into the app and reply to it. Look at the recent LG Android-based phones that run the Optimus UI. They all have a feature that works exactly like Toast. A new message comes in and you can reply to it straight from the homescreen without ever entering the required app. This isn't unique or exclusive to BlackBerry 10.

Not sure what you mean by "Sharing from anywhere system wide" as you seem really impressed by it for some reason. But if you're talking about what I think you're talking about, it is on other platforms as well. With Android, I can select any type of file on my device, be it a video, picture, document, zip, whatever - long press on it and see a ton of options available for sharing it. Like I said, maybe that isn't what you are talking about though, but when I was using BlackBerry 10, I never noticed some super awesome exclusive sharing feature.

Gestures - Rember, I mentioned things that people care about? Do you honestly think the masses care about having gestures on their phone? There hasn't been a single gesture-based OS that was successful. Why is that if people care about having gestures? Let's see, what two things do WebOS, MeeGo, BlackBerry Tablet OS and BlackBerry 10 have in common? Well, they're all gesture based and they were all commercial failures. If anything, I'm starting to think having gestures actually hurt BlackBerry 10's adoption rate. The evidince suggests that most people simply don't want to learn gestures.

Keyboard - BlackBerry has always had the best keyboard. No doubt about it. BlackBerry 10 has a great virtual keyboard as well. So why does BlackBerry only have 1% of the market right now? If the masses cared about having the best keyboard, wouldn't we see BlackBerry smartphones flying off of shelves? Are you going to suggest that people just don't know that BlackBerry makes awesome keyboards?
    The BlackBerry 10 UI is unique. The hub is unique. I'm not going to argue whether or not you should like it. But it is an experience (hub, toast notifications, gesture based, flick keyboard, etc...) that is unique to BlackBerry 10. And for the record people I've shown it to have liked it and been intrigued by it as well. That doesn't always mean a sale though. Clearly.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 08:42 AM
    iOS 7 is a clear move into a more Gesture-centric system.

I still stand by my opinion that people 'don't care' because they don't actually know about them.

11-15-13 08:42 AM
    I've just picked up a Moto G seems pretty snappy. Seems reasonable value... Coming from blackberry 9900.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
    11-16-13 06:44 PM
    Users who poopoo phones that don't have 4G completely miss understand the purpose of 4G: it's not to 'speed' up you phone at all. Your phone is perfectly fast enough at 8MB, where you can watch TV without a hitch...

No no my friend, 4G is just a marketing tool to make consumers like you pay for the network bandwidth shortages....it does. Not really affect the daily speed of your BBM, email, or browsing.

All 4G does is waste battery. My Q10 is all always on 3g only.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 03:39 AM
    No, it's the beginning of the end. Imagine Moto Note at $250??

It's Over for Note3 They will be DOA next round if against a 'moto note'

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 03:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    Maybe you should write an article about that. I'm sure it will make the stock market move. LOL

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 05:00 AM

Posted via CB10
    For what the note 3 can do:great value m

sent from my galaxy note 3 via crackberry forums app.
    11-17-13 09:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    You do know what makes the Note line so pricey, don't you? Those Wacom digitizers don't come cheap.
    11-18-13 09:04 AM
    For what the note 3 can do:great value m

sent from my galaxy note 3 via crackberry forums app.
    I'm sure it is great value, but will it be next year against a super Moto note?

How many users many really care or even know about "Snapdragon processing power." The Moto G screen is better than the iPhone's! Moto G will challenge HTC, LG, SONY, and Samsung. And at $159, those guys prices are ONLY coming down,

So when your Samsung Note 4 costs 30% less...thank Moto. Here comes hardware calamity.
    11-19-13 05:57 PM
    anyone can get 100 bucks good android devices in emerging markets. BlackBerry is done with hardware, only thing left is software as services. May they sound have listened to all those guys told BlackBerry to get out of hardware biz. Apple, Ms and Google does market research and come out products based on that. BlackBerry is too busy trying to hold the floor

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 07:45 PM
50 12