...excerpted
    The Downgrade Created These 5 Tech Traps
    Don't get lured in by low, low prices on truly troubled stocks -- you get what you pay for.
    By Anders Bylund - The Motley Fool
    updated 8/11/2011 5:56:37 AM ET 2011-08-11T09:56:37

Buy low and sell high -- it's every value investor's fondest fantasy. A market bloodbath like the one that started last week and culminated in a Monday Massacre hung deep-discount price tags on lots of terrific stocks. This bargain hunt was an important driver of Tuesday's tentative bounce.

But among the bargain-basement deals and steals, you'll also find stocks that are cheap for a reason. Some are stalled or stale business models, others just stopped by on their way to bankruptcy, and a few never even had any glory days.

I'm here to point out three of these mock-value stocks from the tech sector and two fast growers that have collapsed and still aren't worth your investing dollar. Put on some protective gear and follow me:

"Research In Motion
    The BlackBerry maker seems intent on being exactly that -- the corporate-class messaging expert -- forevermore. That's not a good place to be now that smartphones from companies not named RIM can do the same thing, with a hearty helping of consumer-friendly bells and whistles.

Co-CEO Mike Lazaridis reportedly dug in his heels to stop the company from joining the modern smartphone era. "BlackBerry smartphones will never have cameras because the No. 1 customer of ours is the U.S. government," he said at the time. "There will never be a BlackBerry with an MP3 player or camera." Now, of course, late-model BlackBerries come with all these features. But it's too little, too late.

Luddites shouldn't run technology businesses. RIM's ineffective management structure is under review and could use a serious upheaval, but color me surprised if Lazaridis or Jim Balsillie actually cede any of their heavy-handed control. And until they do, this stock will continue to build on the current 60% 2011 drop -- with or without external market shenanigans."

The Downgrade Created These 5 Tech Traps - Business - Motley Fool - msnbc.com
    gregs87 likes this.
    08-11-11 10:05 AM
    motley `fool` obviously caught out by fact that RIMM stock is currently up 5% on the day lol
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    08-11-11 10:15 AM
    FYI:

Luddites were a social movement of British textile artisans in the nineteenth century who protested – often by destroying mechanized looms – against the changes produced by the Industrial Revolution.

And folks says Mike is a visionary and has a good tech mind...

He is now playing copy and catchup.

I wish RIM the best...I really do..but I have BIG doubts about him and his role in RIM.

Tim
    Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    08-11-11 10:16 AM
    They have always had a hate on RIM and they simply don't understand the market. They're not to be trusted. P.S. Jim Cramer is a fool.
    08-11-11 10:17 AM
    the word "Luddite" isn't used enough... in my opinion.

Merriam Webster
    LUDDITE
    : one of a group of early 19th century English workmen destroying laborsaving machinery as a protest; broadly : one who is opposed to especially technological change
    08-11-11 10:19 AM
    motley `fool` obviously caught out by fact that RIMM stock is currently up 5% on the day lol
    That is not because RIM is up on its own.

AAPL +$7.11 $370.62
    GOOG +$10.23 $559.60
    RIMM +$1.09 $23.29

RIM is at $23.19. (10:20am CDT)

Tech stocks as a whole are up this morning.

That with the role out of the new Bold Touch underway..I hope to see an even bigger bump when the role outs are full bore and in the U.S. and the EU.

The whole would economic situation could drag RIM back providing RIM doesn't shoot itself in the foot.

Yep, up a little today (so far), but lasting power will be the true indicator.

I do like your optimism though

Tim
    08-11-11 10:25 AM
    They have always had a hate on RIM and they simply don't understand the market. They're not to be trusted. P.S. Jim Cramer is a fool.
    A fool commenting on a fool?

ML said "There will never be a BlackBerry with an MP3 player or camera."

Tim
    08-11-11 10:27 AM
    A fool commenting on a fool?

ML said "There will never be a BlackBerry with an MP3 player or camera."

Tim
    and steve jobs said they`d never make a phone.

funny how people forget that one lol
    Buzz_Dengue and 01itr like this.
    08-11-11 10:30 AM
    That is not because RIM is up on its own.
    I do like your optimism though

Tim
    the reason for the gain doesnt matter to traders, simply the gain does. its not optimisim, its a fact that its up.
    08-11-11 10:32 AM

You aren't really comparing statements made to the public (Jobs) to statements made to internal corporate executives (Lazaridis), are you?
    08-11-11 02:05 PM
    You aren't really comparing statements made to the public (Jobs) to statements made to internal corporate executives (Lazaridis), are you?
    You aren't really saying that the internal corporate executive is Ian Austen, reporter for the New York Times in 2004, are you?

New Economy - A beloved gadget thrives, even when it deliberately passes up the bells and whistles. - NYTimes.com

Future BlackBerries will not include the cameras that have proven to be big sellers on cellphones, because government and corporate customers view them as a security problem, according to Mike Lazaridis
    Tada!
    Last edited by 01itr; 08-11-11 at 02:50 PM.
    08-11-11 02:47 PM

Haha did he really? I never knew that.
    08-11-11 02:52 PM
    Haha did he really? I never knew that.
    Steve Jobs: No Tablet, No PDA, No Cell Phone, Lots Of iPods | News | The Mac Observer

Funny, but times change, and smart people adapt. Steve Jobs changed his mind, so did Mike L
    08-11-11 02:57 PM
    Funny, but times change, and smart people adapt. Steve Jobs changed his mind, so did Mike L
    True. But while one pounces when an opportunity presents itself, the other seems to resist for as long as possible.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    08-11-11 03:14 PM
    ISTM this is another thinly veiled attempt at market manipulation and trolling. Like most of the OP's threads it has no "news or rumor" content, simply another provocative repost of another attention grabbing third hand opinion.
    01itr likes this.
    08-11-11 03:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD