I recently got my 8530 and love it. My mother is pretty impressed with it and she wonders if a BB would be a good phone for her.

I was hesitant to answer.........

She currently has a 3 year old basic Motorola flip phone but doesn't use any of the features on it besides phone address book and making calls.

She mentioned she is thinking of getting a newer phone and asked about my email abilities and such. She hinted at that she really doesn't want to carry her laptop or even a netbook with her so decent web browsing might be important.

So I sat there thinking..........

Yeah my BB is nice and super efficient once mastered but it really isn't very noob friendly or easy to use compared to other intuitive, simple UIs out there.

As much as I'd like to recommend a BB to her, I feel the Android/WP7/iPhones are just more user friendly to figure out and use immediately.

I suppose the Torch may be an option but she doesn't use AT&T. But even with the Torch, other phones have way friendlier keyboards for aging fingers.

Am I way off base here?
    10-23-10 08:35 PM
    may i suggest a Nokia phone.
    or a jitterbug.. the one with big numbers.
    10-23-10 08:37 PM
    Definately iPhone.. iPhone firstly has a large screen which makes things easier for her to see. Secondly, the virtual keyboard will be great for her fingers, no need to put pressure on her fingers (the Blackberry's keypad as you know requires slight force vs a glass surface.) Also, web browsing is top notch on the iPhone. There is ZERO learning curve on the iphone and finally, there are a few push email services available for iphones..
    10-23-10 09:24 PM
    I recently got my 8530 and love it. My mother is pretty impressed with it and she wonders if a BB would be a good phone for her.

I was hesitant to answer.........

She currently has a 3 year old basic Motorola flip phone but doesn't use any of the features on it besides phone address book and making calls.

She mentioned she is thinking of getting a newer phone and asked about my email abilities and such. She hinted at that she really doesn't want to carry her laptop or even a netbook with her so decent web browsing might be important.

So I sat there thinking..........

Yeah my BB is nice and super efficient once mastered but it really isn't very noob friendly or easy to use compared to other intuitive, simple UIs out there.

As much as I'd like to recommend a BB to her, I feel the Android/WP7/iPhones are just more user friendly to figure out and use immediately.

I suppose the Torch may be an option but she doesn't use AT&T. But even with the Torch, other phones have way friendlier keyboards for aging fingers.

Am I way off base here?
    OK, how old is old? I'm mid sixties and I have a Bold 9650, great device. If you think what she wants is glitz and glitter, I-toy is for her. If what she wants is a communication device, get her a BB.

If you get her an I-toy, don't forget to get the rubber band so the thing will work.
    10-23-10 09:41 PM
    Rotary phone. Circa 1967 made by Ma Bell.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-10 10:20 PM
    I'm facing the same question with my Dad, 77, very sharp but not very technical. He's great on a PC running Windows and I think the familiar keyboard, Office software, and ability to multi-task will be much nicer for him and his business than an iToy.

I'm barely 50 and I hate typing on a touch screen. I'm guessing that one day I'll laugh at myself for saying that (and that most of you are laughing now) but there's something to be said for a phone that looks/acts like a little PC.

Since he loves the compactness of his Razr I think he'd like the 9670. At least in the pictures/video it looks really appealing. I wish it was out last December because I wanted (and would still prefer) a new model flip, oh well.
    10-24-10 08:41 AM
    Why not let your mother decide?

My grandmother, at 89yrs old is sportin a 9650. She's figured out how to Bluetooth pics to her printer, uses BBM more than I do and is in the process of loading her CDs to the memory card so she can listen to it in her car. Both of my parents (mid/late 60's) have upgraded their dumb flips for the 8530 and 9650 as well. Now that my dad is aware of OS6, he'll be upgrading to the 9330 or the 9670 when it's available.

My point? Never underestimate your elders.

10-24-10 09:11 AM
    Rotary phone. Circa 1967 made by Ma Bell.

I could swear that there is an accessory like this that plugs into an iPhone.

10-24-10 10:21 AM
    Hi, I believe it depends on the person.

My mom, for instance is more interested in high-end gadgets and is more willing to learn how to use a phone no matter how complex its operation is than my dad (who prefers a "dumb" phone).

Your mother seems to like BB and its features, I guess if she's interested in it, it will take less time for her to learn about it and get herself accustomed in using it!
    10-24-10 10:32 AM
    I gave my mother an old pearl and was impressed how much she started to use it. She actually created a MSN, FB and BBM account which is wonderful other than the fact I now get msgs from everywhere when she is looking for me. I think anyone can learn to use any device if you have the patience to teach them.
    10-24-10 06:20 PM
    I would not suggest an iPhone. Correcting typing errors like inserting a letter would mean pinching, and if there is a touch of arthritis it could be painful or frustrating.

My Mum is quite elderly - I was a menopause baby - and she has a 9700, which I gave her last March, after she saw mine. She LOVES it! Does everything herself - updates, add/delete contacts, uses Poynt....you name it.

I thought that if a touchscreen frustrated me, it would be worse for her.

I suggest the 9650 if on Verizon, 9700 if on T-Mobile or At&T. If on Sprint, don't forget the clamshell!

10-24-10 06:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD