BB Storm.
    In a teacup, maybe.
    10-13-09 03:28 PM
    In a teacup, maybe.
    I had to wrap my Storm in a sock and beat another inmate with it. Didn't stand up nearly as well as the 83xx series.
    10-13-09 03:31 PM
    For me the best phone RIM has ever put out was the 8310. It look absolutely great - never been bettered, imo. It was well made and was solid and had a beautiful keyboard. In its day, it also had a superb screen. Even today the same screen is used in the 8520. Featurewise the only thing it was missing was WiFi.

On travels through numerous airports, one sees lots of Blackberrys and there are many, many BlackBerrys that still have scrollwheels. These old warhorses are really solid phones that just keep on trucking. They are also very easy to use and training costs are very low. It is true that these phones do not do a lot but most 40-55 professionals do not need much beyound phonecalls, emails, SMS and maybe the calculator. These old brick (not bricked) phones have to get some kind of vote. I had a 7290 and thought that it was absolutely great back in the day.
    10-13-09 03:35 PM
    @Pete: Agreed on the older devices. My brother has only ever used
    the 7130e while my boss will not give up the 7750 even at gunpoint
    I suspect. Both of those things are tanks.
    10-13-09 04:25 PM
    @Pete: Agreed on the older devices. My brother has only ever used
    the 7130e while my boss will not give up the 7750 even at gunpoint
    I suspect. Both of those things are tanks.
    Do either of them easily fit in a sock?
    10-13-09 04:27 PM
    Ya probably the curve. I use the bold now but still have my flawless curve as a backup.
    10-13-09 04:36 PM
    Back on topic, the highest all-time selling BB is the curve 83xx series, continuing to outsell the iPhone. Not really a fair comparison, since the Curve 83xx is available on all four major carriers in the US and many smaller regional carriers, where the iPhone is not. But, to answer the op's question, market numbers were just released a few months ago with total units sold by Gartner and npd.

RIM Unseats Apple in The NPD Group's Latest Smartphone Ranking

Interestingly, according to Gartner, web traffic on smartphones is dominated by the iPhone, at over 60% of hits. It shows that although RIM continues to outsell Apple (again, not fair with the umpteen number of RIM models), Apple users are using the web considerably more than BB users.
    10-13-09 05:21 PM
    Back on topic, the highest all-time selling BB is the curve 83xx series, continuing to outsell the iPhone. Not really a fair comparison, since the Curve 83xx is available on all four major carriers in the US and many smaller regional carriers, where the iPhone is not. But, to answer the op's question, market numbers were just released a few months ago with total units sold by Gartner and npd.

RIM Unseats Apple in The NPD Group's Latest Smartphone Ranking

Interestingly, according to Gartner, web traffic on smartphones is dominated by the iPhone, at over 60% of hits. It shows that although RIM continues to outsell Apple (again, not fair with the umpteen number of RIM models), Apple users are using the web considerably more than BB users.
    Couple of problems here.

1) Maybe it is an issue of interpretation but I don't see the original
    question as being "What is the most successful series".

2) The link is just plain dumb. Of course the 83xx SERIES would overperform
    a SINGLE device. That is not a apples to apples (no pun intended) comparison
    that is an apples to everything else in the market comparison.
    10-13-09 05:28 PM
    Curve *praise*
    10-13-09 05:39 PM
    Couple of problems here.

1) Maybe it is an issue of interpretation but I don't see the original
    question as being "What is the most successful series".

2) The link is just plain dumb. Of course the 83xx SERIES would overperform
    a SINGLE device. That is not a apples to apples (no pun intended) comparison
    that is an apples to everything else in the market comparison.
    Another thing to consider is that the 8330 probably did not sell as much as the 8320, since CDMA is pretty much limited to North America, with a few exceptions. The GSM phones probably sell more, since most of the rest of the world uses GSM.
    10-13-09 06:04 PM
    could have sworn the pearl flip is and will always be the best.
    10-13-09 07:30 PM
    Yeah, I was just grouping curves into one device type. But yes, I would be curious to see statistics on the actual number of each device sold. My guess would be the 8330. Available on 2 of 4 major carriers, one of which is the country's largest, one is the third largest. The GSM carriers have multiple 83xx offerings, so that would divide their model sales. I see so many 8330's every day...just my guess.
    10-13-09 07:37 PM
    could have sworn the pearl flip is and will always be the best.
    LOL @ this.

You're a brave man Sir!
    10-13-09 07:47 PM
    just a random question, what would guys say is the most popular/successfull blacberry device, in terms of market penetration?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You'd have to consider the 8700 and the 83xx series as contenders.

The 8700 probably goes down in the history books as a truly classic evolutionary product for Rim.

But as you think about it, the 83xx has got to win this award.

Prior to the 8300, RIM/BlackBerry was largely a tool for corporate types and/or geeks. The 83xx series updated this image, gave BlackBerry a home in the general consumer world and changed RIM's fortunes forever.

Personally I think the 8900 is the best product that RIM has ever made but the 83xx series was without a doubt RIM's most revolutionary device.
    10-13-09 08:20 PM
    The 83xx ones would probably top the list, specifically I'd say the 8320 just because it's on gsm, and cdma is limited to north america.

I think the bold has a lot of potential to be up there as well in the future. But for now, I'd say one of the 83xx models

10-13-09 10:57 PM
    "Interestingly, according to Gartner, web traffic on smartphones is dominated by the iPhone, at over 60% of hits. It shows that although RIM continues to outsell Apple (again, not fair with the umpteen number of RIM models), Apple users are using the web considerably more than BB users"

I think blackberrys being more efficient would have something to do with that. Also, a lot of the traditional web activity is now done trough applications (yahoo messenger, bbm, facebook etc) that probably don't show in such surveys as web hits.

10-14-09 01:44 AM
    Yeah, I was just grouping curves into one device type. But yes, I would be curious to see statistics on the actual number of each device sold. My guess would be the 8330. Available on 2 of 4 major carriers, one of which is the country's largest, one is the third largest. The GSM carriers have multiple 83xx offerings, so that would divide their model sales. I see so many 8330's every day...just my guess.
    The 8330 is a CDMA device and that technology is not widely used worldwide. Within the US, you may very well be right about the 8330.

Worldwide (non-US) sales of this device are very low indeed when compared to any GSM device because you can use GSM pretty much everywhere else on the planet.
    10-14-09 04:17 AM
    "Interestingly, according to Gartner, web traffic on smartphones is dominated by the iPhone, at over 60% of hits. It shows that although RIM continues to outsell Apple (again, not fair with the umpteen number of RIM models), Apple users are using the web considerably more than BB users"

I think blackberrys being more efficient would have something to do with that. Also, a lot of the traditional web activity is now done trough applications (yahoo messenger, bbm, facebook etc) that probably don't show in such surveys as web hits.

What you say is true. The iPhone crowd are heavy web users. That phone has a great browser. Almost all iPhone are sold with an "unlimited" dataplan and the user profile of an iPhone user is, I would guess, a lot younger than that of a BlackBery user I am thinking corporate users as well here).

The carriers have now woken up to the lucrative business that lies with selling dataplans to smartphone users. at&t announce last month that all smartphones on its network must now have a dataplan.

Whilst expensive, this is a good thing since it will force RIM to keep improving its native browser - if I am paying for it, I will use it and it had better be good - is the way I see this.
    10-14-09 04:23 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD