I call the Z30 a thing of beauty. It stands head and shoulders above the pack.

Android simply doesn't do power management well. You can argue that it's fun for tinkering, but it's not an OS for serious people. Look how fast the Moto X guy had to drop out of the Wired CES competition. It's just not in the same league with BB10. Sorry. It's just not.

Android Central is right down the hall, by the way.
    Come again?

TgeekB and BlackBerry Guy like this.
    03-06-14 05:56 PM
    My gracious I've been on bb10 too long that UI just looks bad now. Time to get my Lenovo out just one more time

Posted via CB10
    03-06-14 06:01 PM

Android simply doesn't do power management well. You can argue that it's fun for tinkering, but it's not an OS for serious people. Look how fast the Moto X guy had to drop out of the Wired CES competition. It's just not in the same league with BB10. Sorry. It's just not.

Yes, that's why most of the world is getting by just fine with it. Makes sense.....not.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    JeepBB and cwalt2166 like this.
    03-06-14 06:13 PM
    Yes, that's why most of the world is getting by just fine with it. Makes sense.....not.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    They're also "getting by fine" living closer to poverty, stagnant wages, rising prices, higher pollutants in the air/water, etc. Etc.

Just because humans are good at adapting to put up with sh*t doesn't mean the sh*t is good.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-14 06:18 PM
    Flabbergasted at some of these posts.
    03-06-14 06:30 PM

I forgot, you cannot post anything positive about another OS. BB10 or death to the traitors!!!!

And what in God's name makes the Z30 from a looks department stand out from the rest of the pack? It's lackluster screen? It's horrible side buttons that mute a call constantly if its in your pocket? The silver chin that's out of place with the rest of the phone?
    JeepBB and cwalt2166 like this.
    03-06-14 06:35 PM
    They're also "getting by fine" living closer to poverty, stagnant wages, rising prices, higher pollutants in the air/water, etc. Etc.

Just because humans are good at adapting to put up with sh*t doesn't mean the sh*t is good.
    Good point. Let's give all poor people Z30s.

I kid.
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    03-06-14 06:35 PM
    The dude dropped and broke his phone. What does that have to do with the OS and/or it's power consumption?
    That's just what the shorts would have us believe. . .

/s
    JeepBB and avt123 like this.
    03-06-14 06:50 PM

Posted via CB10

I work in a hospital with administrators, doctors, nurses, physical therapists, etc. who are getting by fine. Smart, intelligent people. This whole argument is ridiculous.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-06-14 06:53 PM
    Good point. Let's give all poor people Z30s.

I kid.
    No, but I'll take one!! Lol.

Seriously guys... this has happened time and time again with technology. The technically superior alternative/competitor gets left in the dust because the 'acceptable' alternative had a better market strategy.

The other day I was at an antique shop and they had Edison discs. I obviously generally knew of LPs, Victrola/RCA, but wasn't really aware of Edison discs. They use up/down (instead for lateral) variations to encode sound and thus are able to encode more data around the same circumference as regular records. In addition they supposedly provided superior reproduction quality.

Of course I'd be surprised if anyone remembers Edison discs over records as they were never commercially as successful.

So... my point is... to most people OK is good enough, and they are content simply buying what most have and what's there now.

A few years ago that was BlackBerry, now it's... anything but BlackBerry. Was BlackBerry technically the best product at its peak?? Probably not... Is the iPhone/Android the best now? If the historical behavior of the masses is any indication
    .. then the answer is probably not.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-14 06:56 PM
    No, but I'll take one!! Lol.

Seriously guys... this has happened time and time again with technology. The technically superior alternative/competitor gets left in the dust because the 'acceptable' alternative had a better market strategy.

The other day I was at an antique shop and they had Edison discs. I obviously generally knew of LPs, Victrola/RCA, but wasn't really aware of Edison discs. They use up/down (instead for lateral) variations to encode sound and thus are able to encode more data around the same circumference as regular records. In addition they supposedly provided superior reproduction quality.

Of course I'd be surprised if anyone remembers Edison discs over records as they were never commercially as successful.

So... my point is... to most people OK is good enough, and they are content simply buying what most have and what's there now.

A few years ago that was BlackBerry, now it's... anything but BlackBerry. Was BlackBerry technically the best product at its peak?? Probably not... Is the iPhone/Android the best now? If the historical behavior of the masses is any indication
    .. then the answer is probably not.

Posted via CB10
    You make a good point but Blackberry is only the best in your opinion. There are many people who would say that iOS or Android are the best.

Just because you think BB10 is technically superior doesn't make it so. And many would argue against that point. It does a lot of things well, but there are a lot of things that Android and iOS do well too.
    bbq10l and JeepBB like this.
    03-06-14 07:06 PM
    You make a good point but Blackberry is only the best in your opinion. There are many people who would say that iOS or Android are the best.

Just because you think BB10
    is technically superior doesn't make it so. And many would argue against that point. It does a lot of things well, but there are a lot of things that Android and iOS do well too.
    Great point. I am enjoying Android right now but understand it is not for everyone. In fact, I would argue that more than one platform could work for most people. It then becomes personal preference.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-06-14 07:10 PM
    Flabbergasted at some of these posts.
    +1,000,000,000

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    03-06-14 07:15 PM
    Most consumers are this way. What get's me is how anyone would listen to some kid at a phone store or at a big box electronic chain instead of doing their own research.
    Where do you think basic consumers do their research? Big sites like BGR and Engadget.

What do they see when they go to those sites? Only Android and iPhone stuff. Barely anything WP and bad talking Blackberry.

Phase 2 of their research is to narrow it down between the 2 popular phones they saw. iPhone and Android.

The more tech savy ones do Phase 3: go iMore or Androd Central, watch youtube videos and etc.

It's 100% logical for a consumer to do that. It's like looking for a car weed out the car manufactures that you here bad things about and move on then never look back. At that point they will never look into that car manufacture again until maybe their next car but even that is pushing it.
    Good news = customers,
    Bad news = the don't even look at it approach.

By phase 1 Blackberry is already out of the picture.

Not to mention people like what other people have. Gives them a connection with other people with the same product.
    Ex. "Did you see the feature in the new iOS7 update Airdrop"
    "Yea that's so cool!"
    There's the person in the corner with a blackberry saying: "that is cool, I have that same feature but it's called Wifi-Direct" Not only does it sound uncool it also doesn't work with iPhones so that person is left out.
    Psychology

Posted via CB10
    03-06-14 07:23 PM
    I see lots of people with "smartphones " that don't Evan come close to using a fraction of what the device is capable of doing. Be it what ever brand or platform of phone it is.

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    03-06-14 07:26 PM

Just because you think BB10 is technically superior doesn't make it so. And many would argue against that point. It does a lot of things well, but there are a lot of things that Android and iOS do well too.
    I didn't really say it was the best... maybe WP is (or soon will be)??

My point was mainly just to highlight the often greater importance of a good market strategy. There is no argument about BlackBerry's (absolute lack of) performance in that department... and sadly it renders any arguments about its potential technical superiority moot.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-06-14 07:27 PM
    "Technically" the "best" can mean so many things to different people. I'm just a fan of progress. I love having multiple platforms that are continually pushing boundaries and innovating, causing each other to continue to evolve. That's the best for all involved, I think.

The problem is when people cling to outdated notions from the other platforms. They just don't hold water anymore. Saying that all Androids have bad battery life is as outdated as saying all BlackBerry devices are plagued by spinning clocks and require battery pulls. Sure, both were true at one time but don't hold water in 2014.
    03-06-14 07:34 PM
    "Technically" the "best" can mean so many things to different people. I'm just a fan of progress. I love having multiple platforms that are continually pushing boundaries and innovating, causing each other to continue to evolve. That's the best for all involved, I think.

The problem is when people cling to outdated notions from the other platforms. They just don't hold water anymore. Saying that all Androids have bad battery life is as outdated as saying all BlackBerry devices are plagued by spinning clocks and require battery pulls. Sure, both were true at one time but don't hold water in 2014.
    Truth.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-06-14 07:44 PM
    Which folks here were completely okay with 5 years ago, when the popular phone was a BB, but now that it isn't, these same people, buying phones for the same reasons, are idiots.

Oh, the irony...
    Precisely what I was going to say.

Moreover, for people with such vested (financial/emotional/other) interest in an aspect of the phone industry (BB), I find it sometimes surprising how little many of the regular knows about other platforms. Errors in this regard are made frequently, and in abundance.

...and no....being knowledgeable about cell phones (assuming one genuinely is as knowledgeable as some like to think they are) does not imply that you are "smarter". Not in the slightest. It would suggest you have more of an interest in phones than the average person (which in itself is a dubious distinction - one I am guilty of). In fact, I think a lot of the reasoning here suggest that CB has a pretty diverse range when it comes to intellect, and it is probably pretty representative of...well....a typical population.
    03-06-14 08:51 PM
    BlackBerry was at the forefront of the Smartphone Industry. It is still the workhorse of those who need a mobile communications hub, without having to carry a laptop and a wireless modem.

The issue is that Blackberry phones were always more expensive than other mobile phones because of their capabilities. This caused their phones to become status objects. People would get a BlackBerry just to have a BlackBerry, and never used it to its potential.

As consumer electronics became more capable and smaller, other companies created their own smart phones. Coupling the advancement of consumer electronics, the increasing "disposible technology" mentality, need to have the shiniest/newest/most popular device, and inability to accurately research and understand the capabilities ofsaid devices, people buy what the phone stores tell them is popular and what they think will be a status symbol.

Most people want a PC in the palm of their hand: They want to play games, watch movies, and listen to music, while having the ability to make the occasional phone call or send a text message.

BlackBerry will remain the go-to manufacturer for buisness-based mobile telephony, but will not gain popularity with the main stream market because it is not in the buisness of making palm-sized entertainment devices. The iPhone and most Android-based platforms cater to those who want flash, sparkle, new phones every two months, and want a pocket entertainment center. Just look at to whom the advertising is aimed at.

It is like my car stereo: If I wanted a Christmass tree in my dash, I would buy a Pioneer. Since I would rather have good sound, I have a BlauPunkt.
    03-07-14 12:44 AM
    I forgot, you cannot post anything positive about another OS. BB10 or death to the traitors!!!!

And what in God's name makes the Z30 from a looks department stand out from the rest of the pack? It's lackluster screen? It's horrible side buttons that mute a call constantly if its in your pocket? The silver chin that's out of place with the rest of the phone?
    Horrible sidebuttons? LOL. Beside Apple BlackBerry is the only company getting sidebuttons right and the Play/Pause/Mute/Voice button is superb.
    03-07-14 01:52 AM
    I was at an AT&T store a few days ago and I saw a teenager with her mom getting a new phone. So the sales person was trying to push a smartphone and the next thing I hear is "I want a Z10 because that's what dad has and he never complains about it! You always say your iPhone 's worthless!"

I got done with what I needed to do at the store and they were still there. The whole time I kept looking at my 2 Z10s and I had almost the same experience. My Dad had a Bold back then and I had another phone. After seeing that he never had a problem with his, I tried the old Curve a few years ago and never looked back.

It's true that what's trendy sells and BlackBerry should work on that aspect but what it should value above it is reliability and I believe that it is fundamentally what we BlackBerry fans defend about our phones.

Hopefully the girl got a Z10. Lol

Posted via CB10
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    03-07-14 02:32 AM
    Where do you think basic consumers do their research? Big sites like BGR and Engadget.
    No normal person is spending their time on Engadget or BGR - they will rely on newspaper reviews, the views of their friends, what is the best deal economically for them (or appears to be), advertising and promotional material - but BGR and engadget? No.
    JeepBB, mikeo007 and DenverRalphy like this.
    03-07-14 02:40 AM
    Nimrods? Consumer idiots? Stupid? What a poverty of vocabulary. I work with some of the top doctors in my area- graduates of Yale, Harvard, Cambridge, etc. They are written about in magazines and lecture at universities. They all use iphones and ipads for the ease of use and the medical apps. On the contrary, IF you only need a phone for calls, texting, and email, then BlackBerry is definitely your choice.

Posted via CB10
    Doctors aren't exactly a part of the consumer market that I was arguing against in my statement. The average consumer isn't looking for detailed medical reference or trying to manage bioinformatics data on their smartphone. If anything, these are the users that BlackBerry should be going after since they expect a device that along with communication offers them the ability to do their job better. The fact that they are using a device that gives them the ability to do that kind of detailed and specialized work shows at least a modicum of due diligence in looking for something more than the number of cores a phone has in its processor.

Yes, I worded my original statement rather strongly, and I did so intentionally more as a point of rhetorical absurdity. There are a lot of uninformed consumers, i.e. persons who use their device exclusively for personal use, who may have an idea of what device they want due to marketing, but they also don't use the device to its full potential.

I also have the privilege of supporting a similar set of researchers and investigators in the DC area. While the basics of technology may elude them at times, they know what they need to accomplish their research without any kind of blind loyalty. Today the best genomic tools are on iOS, next month it may be Windows Phone, Android, who knows... Researchers go where the tools are and some are as tethered to a BlackBerry as some are to an iPhone, and others are to a HiSeq or a Proton. But again, these aren't part of the 10 per cent of the market that was being distinguished from everyone else in the start of this thread.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-14 05:15 AM

What do they see when they go to those sites? Only Android and iPhone stuff. Barely anything WP and bad talking Blackberry.

Phase 2 of their research is to narrow it down between the 2 popular phones they saw. iPhone and Android.

The more tech savy ones do Phase 3: go iMore or Androd Central, watch youtube videos and etc.

It's 100% logical for a consumer to do that. It's like looking for a car weed out the car manufactures that you here bad things about and move on then never look back. At that point they will never look into that car manufacture again until maybe their next car but even that is pushing it.
    Good news = customers,
    Bad news = the don't even look at it approach.

By phase 1 Blackberry is already out of the picture.

Not to mention people like what other people have. Gives them a connection with other people with the same product.
    Ex. "Did you see the feature in the new iOS7 update Airdrop"
    "Yea that's so cool!"
    There's the person in the corner with a blackberry saying: "that is cool, I have that same feature but it's called Wifi-Direct" Not only does it sound uncool it also doesn't work with iPhones so that person is left out.
    Psychology

Posted via CB10
    Ask the Basic Consumer what is BGR & Engadget. The answer you will probably get is, WHO DAT!!!!!

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    03-07-14 05:48 AM
109 12345