I'm a little curious about using the term "Beyond Classified". Classified is a general category, not a classification level. Confidential, Secret and Top Secret would be more appropriate terms to use with respect to "Beyond (whatever)" - unless you mean beyond colateral classifications?
    You caught me being purposefully obtuse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD for iPad
    07-31-13 06:47 PM
    I'm a little curious about using the term "Beyond Classified". Classified is a general category, not a classification level. Confidential, Secret and Top Secret would be more appropriate terms to use with respect to "Beyond (whatever)" - unless you mean beyond colateral classifications?
    Yes, I misspoke when I used the term Classified. That sometimes happens when I'm half asleep. More accurately, I should have used the term Confidential.
    07-31-13 06:55 PM
    Yes, I misspoke when I used the term Classified. That sometimes happens when I'm half asleep. More accurately, I should have used the term Confidential.
    It's probably not worthwhile to look at what the government considers secure, first of all, they're often wrong (as history has shown) and second of all, their security needs are different than yours are and from an entity-to-entity level, yours might be higher than theirs.

If you are concerned about the kind of surveillance that foreign or domestic governments or law enforcement agencies are conducting against you, physical device / endpoint security is less important than the secrecy of the communications content itself.

Blackberry, some androids, and late-model ios devices all provide approximately the same level of endpoint security (device physically encrypted, but not to the level of hidden opcode and so on), but unless you are really a terrorist or other unsavory type you really don't have to worry about much more than that.

If you don't want to get caught up in the broad-spectrum collection that is apparently going on, you have to obscure what you are doing and encrypt your communications. You're not easily going to be able to hide that you're visiting crackberry, for example, even using VPNs and probably Tor - if the monitoring is so broad that both entry and exit points for the Tor network are being monitored, it's likely that you can be discovered.

There are technical, encrypted, anonymous BBS-like systems but you're never going to get to the point that popular sites like crackberry are making use of them.

What you can effectively do is protect the content of your communication between you and one other person - and for that it's somewhat better to be on one of the more popular platforms because new cryptosystems appear on them before on the less popular systems - for example Threema, secure key exchange, perfect forward secrecy, and encrypted communications for which the keys never exist anywhere except on the devices themselves. You can do things like that with PGPMail on blackberry as well, of course, but there are more systems available on other platforms now.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    07-31-13 07:17 PM
    Like I said before " most secure mobile platform on the planet ". Today's DoD announcement saying blackberry bb10 is the first mobile device approved on their network. BlackBerry is here to stay.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 09:20 AM
    Like I said before " most secure mobile platform on the planet ". Today's DoD announcement saying blackberry bb10 is the first mobile device approved on their network. BlackBerry is here to stay.

Posted via CB10
    Nope, it doesn't run on SIPRNet yet...
    08-08-13 09:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yup but they're probably not setup the same as most consumer devices...ie. no BES. Can they be secure? Yes. Does that mean your BB10 phone that you have in hand at the moment is as secure as one used by the DoD? Nope...there's back end stuff to consider as well.
    08-08-13 09:44 AM
    Actually it is. SIPRNet is referred to as DISA now.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 10:26 AM
    I can foresee the storm that is about to take over this thread.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 02:17 PM
    Actually it is. SIPRNet is referred to as DISA now.

Posted via CB10
    I doubt it since DISA is the management company and has much more than the Secret Data IP (new name) in its remit.

Sent from my PlayBook v10.2.0.1155 Lite
    08-08-13 02:26 PM
    I can foresee the storm that is about to take over this thread.
    Yes, because there are too many trolls in this forum who assert that

a. other platforms are as secure as BlackBerry (or more secure); and/or

b. security "doesn't matter" or "no one cares about security."
    08-08-13 04:10 PM
160 ... 567