What if this is a "set low expectations" type of interview.

What if he said, "we'll have all the top apps at launch." That wouldn't be any fun or surprising on launch day would it? These interviews are similar to leaks. They are meant to create buzz and interest and not to tell the full story. Just like we've seen the same old Hub, Peek, camera, and keyboard videos - we've been hearing the same old interviews.

The (cough...marketing...cough) message hasn't changed since the announcement of the official release date. So at this point, I'm not going to play into what RIM is saying today, but will on Jan 30th...when it counts.

Sent from Bold 9930 #blackberrybychoice
    I thought this as well but if you look Kevin was saying some of this too, and he isn't one of the wink and a nod guys - if he hears differently he usually lets us know. I think he's heard there are some holes that will be noticed. Still his message is as Alec's - positive they have changed the story line and if it's not there at launch, after BB shows some take up - they will want to be.
    01-11-13 09:30 AM
    I thought this as well but if you look Kevin was saying some of this too, and he isn't one of the wink and a nod guys - if he hears differently he usually lets us know. I think he's heard there are some holes that will be noticed. Still his message is as Alec's - positive they have changed the story line and if it's not there at launch, after BB shows some take up - they will want to be.
    Valid point.

I'm still skeptical of a lot of the down play. I'm not delusional to point of denial, just being optimistic. RIM has just been holding things so close to their chest and for media to be very positive is a good reason to be. I can only assume that RIM has shown the (just about finished) hardware and software to specific media outlets behind closed doors. I find it hard to believe that RIM has been showing media what we already know. IMHO, from the leaks, it's cool, but nothing to rave about. There has to be more.

So with that being said, I think RIM is playing small to score big. Can't the 30th just come so I can be right or wrong?
    01-11-13 10:35 AM
    Kevin actually suggested that we should contact developers (email, tweet etc.) and use some tact while asking them to bring their apps to BB 10. This could also mean that RIM's efforts have NOT been as successful and they are looking for help? So, maybe they are trying to lower expectations because they think we are over-expecting?

Btw, I have already been asking devs to bring apps to BB 10.
    01-11-13 10:39 AM
    And ooVoo they will be there at launch.
    If ooVoo is there, that is VERY good news.
    01-11-13 10:39 AM
    So, maybe they are trying to lower expectations because they think we are over-expecting?
    There are a lot of people overexpecting. In these forums you'll find a bunch of people where I doubt anything RIM releases even if they use the best technology from a decade from now will compare to what these people are expecting, nor will RIM'S sales be anywhere near what others are expecting even if they have a perfect product with amazing marketing (namely the people who think that basically as soon as BB10 is out RIM suddenly becomes #1).
    mikeo007, magutwit, Rello and 1 others like this.
    01-11-13 10:55 AM
    nor will RIM'S sales be anywhere near what others are expecting even if they have a perfect product with amazing marketing (namely the people who think that basically as soon as BB10 is out RIM suddenly becomes #1).
    I am expecting BB 10 to sell like hot cakes. 40 M sales in 2012. But that only makes them # 3 (not #1).
    01-11-13 10:58 AM
    I would be happy with at least the majority of the standard apps but to be honest, I wouldn't expect Netflix, Whats App, Pandora, Skype and Instagram at launch.

And while I don't mind some substitutes, we don't want BlackBerry World to become the swap meet/flea market of apps. We need the original apps and games. No imitations (Fruit Ninja, comes to mind).
    SourBB likes this.
    01-11-13 12:17 PM
    There are a lot of people overexpecting. In these forums you'll find a bunch of people where I doubt anything RIM releases even if they use the best technology from a decade from now will compare to what these people are expecting, nor will RIM'S sales be anywhere near what others are expecting even if they have a perfect product with amazing marketing (namely the people who think that basically as soon as BB10 is out RIM suddenly becomes #1).
    Yeah, thats just silly. Lets be very realistic, RIM will make a dent but not re-conquer. Some people just are that passionate about their mobile devices. "ITS THE BEST!!" Lets not be deceived to the point of denial.

But RIM isn't going for the big bang. They are going for winning back the ole faithful and keeping the faithful. BB10 is for CrackBerry Nation. So, you can imagine that many including myself are excited for the launch because we feel that RIM made a phone for us - with our needs and how we use BB devices.

If the phone is a truly beast, others are welcome to join the team.

Sent from Bold 9930 #blackberrybychoice
    01-11-13 01:12 PM
    Just wondering, at what point will the players in this industry get together and set a standard for cross platform video communication? I mean really? Why does every silly phone need a video chat program that only works with phones from teh same manufacturer. This is absurd. That is like only being able to make phone calls from one BlackBerry to another. This kind of absurdity really only hurts the consumer. I would argue that it is time for the government to straighten these guys out.
    kbz1960, jagrlover and 00stryder like this.
    01-11-13 02:30 PM
    Just wondering, at what point will the players in this industry get together and set a standard for cross platform video communication? I mean really? Why does every silly phone need a video chat program that only works with phones from teh same manufacturer. This is absurd. That is like only being able to make phone calls from one BlackBerry to another. This kind of absurdity really only hurts the consumer. I would argue that it is time for the government to straighten these guys out.
    01-11-13 02:31 PM
    we don't want BlackBerry World to become the swap meet of apps
    My family ran swap meets, so I have spent a good portion of my life at swap meets, and I have to say....BB Apps cost too much for BB10 App World to be considered a swap meet. Now if you had a bunch of apps that cost like 10 cents, had to pay to get in, and could haggle with vendors, it would be like a swap meet.

Flea Market, I guess I could see that. Though I would think of it as more like the toy section in a pharmacy, it has toys, just few toys any kid who plays with brand names would want.
    randall2580 likes this.
    01-11-13 02:34 PM
    I would be happy with at least the majority of the standard apps but to be honest, I wouldn't expect Netflix, Whats App, Pandora, Skype and Instagram at launch.
    I think we'll see Netflix and Instagram. Highly doubt Skype. Whatsapp is possible but maybe not. No idea bout Pandora
    01-11-13 02:41 PM
    Skype is owned by Microsoft. If it was open software that RIM could use then it wouldn't even be an issue. It would be like Nokia owning the method for making phone calls and then deciding that they didn't want to allow RIM access to the phone calling standard. It doesn't make sense from the consumers perspective. RIM's BB10 devices are capable of video calls so why isn't there a video call standard that allows it to call all other phones capable of video calls. Think of SMS. SMS is a standard texting service that is not owned by anyone. There should be the same for video calls.
    01-11-13 02:42 PM
    whatsapp and skype please!
    couldn't care less about instagram, etc.
    01-11-13 03:11 PM
    Since you guys mentioned OoVoo, I just noticed this on the BlackBerry 10 Website
    Most, but not all, wanted apps will be available Jan 30-balance-work-english.jpg
    That is a bit more confirmation.
    Note: It also shows HP ePrint and Citrix Receiver.
    00stryder likes this.
    01-11-13 03:20 PM
    I saw a pandora app in the Qnx Bentley but if not there is Apollo which IMO is just as good if not better. Skype ...don't count on it. Netflix..again I wouldn't count on it but it has a better chance than Skype. Instagram will be there. Whatsapp..not at launch but likely within a year.

ooVoo is confirmed.

I don't think they are down playing at all. The fact is many are taking a wait and see approach.

You could see a bit of disappointment in Kevins video. I've also been told by someone in the know that they saw an internal email about the app situation and I quote "It was a bit of a disappointment but also expected"

What does this mean? Well if your all about apps and they make or break your decision in buying a device then BlackBerry10 probably isn't for you. BlackBerry10 will however be an awesome device and I'm very much looking forward to using a smartphone in a different more practical way. Anyone who has seen the demos knows this phone just does a better job at getting things done than a typical in and out smartphone. Everything is integrated and with the availability of the hub api's for devs its gonna get better and better. I'm all in for BlackBerry10 and I can't think of one app that would prevent me from taking the plunge.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    01-11-13 03:31 PM
    01-11-13 03:49 PM
    It's an unfortunate reality that apps are a chicken and egg thing.. Developers want to wait and see, and don't want to 'waste' resources developing apps for a platform they aren't sure will succeed.. and the consumer doesn't want to buy a device that doesn't have their favorite apps. The reality is if the developers decided to take a leap of faith and went all in on blackberry 10, then the platform would be successful.. it goes back ot "if you build it, they will come" but unfortunately you can't force the developers to build it..

At this point it's a wait and see game to find out if RIM's outreach was enough to convince a good portion of the developer community to take a leap of blind faith.. if they did, I have no doubts there will still be some significant apps missing at launch, but when they see their competitors on there, they will soon follow. If RIM was unsuccessful.. it's going to take some stellar sales and media buzz to bring them around after launch, but both of those will be hard to create without that apps already being there.. hopefully RIM's efforts went as far as handing out bags of cash to key developers telling them successful or not, they get paid.. that's really the only sure fire way to guarantee success.
    01-11-13 03:50 PM
    there are many people out there that are hinging BB10's sucess/failure on the amount fo aps it has in BB World at launch. IMO its the phone itself that makes it. id rather have a phone with awesome/great native aps then one that i have to download a million aps and use up my memory and slow down my phone. so weither BB World is populated with all the best aps or not is no biggy.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-11-13 04:44 PM
    Which is owned by Microsoft and controlled by Microsoft. A certain fruit usually likes to have control, so they would definitely not go with Skype.

Since you guys mentioned OoVoo, I just noticed this on the BlackBerry 10 Website
    That is a bit more confirmation.
    Note: It also shows HP ePrint and Citrix Receiver.
    Nothing new. We knew way back last year that Citrix Receiver would be on BB10.
    01-11-13 04:52 PM
    Nothing new. We knew way back last year that Citrix Receiver would be on BB10.
    back at the Enterprise Forums a few months ago they were confirming the Citrix Reciever
    01-11-13 04:58 PM
    I just wanted a fast browser.All this app crap just extra fluff to me.

There wil be alot of good apps on launch especially social media ones.The rest will make their way over eventually not everyone can see BB10 as a new cash revenue.NOt everyone's on the bb10 high and many are loyalist to platform x,y and z.

MEh apps will be fine ,ight not get it all right away they will get here eventually.
    walt63 likes this.
    01-11-13 06:07 PM
    I'll be disappointed if Skype isn't available, because I communicate with people who are on computers alot rather than being on mobiles, and Skype is where most of my friends and family have settled.

I guess there's always (shudder) "Facebook Chat" (ugh!) but that still won't help me get to my dad who skype calls me more than he telephones.
    01-11-13 09:11 PM
    Apparently, 90% of the top 600 apps on the ios and android platform are going to be provided at launch
    01-11-13 10:42 PM
    Meh, I think it will be fine as long as there are a couple exciting exclusives on launch to offset. I still own a xbox even though there are ps3 titles that I would kill for. As long as you can respond to "You don't have X" with "Ya, but we have Y and Z".

It is a new platform, no one is buying it at launch for the huge app selection.
    01-12-13 12:11 AM
57 123