I see/hear "download our app for Android and iOS" about ten times a day but 9/10 of those are apps that even a young person like me would only use maybe 2 times a month like a starbucks or movie theater app. Personally I do almost everything via mobile browser. The only reason I have the android instagram app installed is because you have to have the app to upload pics which I do once in a blue moon.

Why am I supposed to install a piece of software on my phone for everything I do?

Posted via CB10
    gugomat likes this.
    06-11-16 12:24 PM
    I see/hear "download our app for Android and iOS" about ten times a day but 9/10 of those are apps that even a young person like me would only use maybe 2 times a month like a starbucks or movie theater app. Personally I do almost everything via mobile browser. The only reason I have the android instagram app installed is because you have to have the app to upload pics which I do once in a blue moon.

Why am I supposed to install a piece of software on my phone for everything I do?

Posted via CB10
    can mods close this thread. as there are countless similar ones stretching back to the bbos era.
    06-11-16 12:39 PM
    OP, I used to think of in this way too. I myself only need to two or three additional apps that not available in my passport. I can deal with it for now but I wish those apps available on bb10. The real problem is if everyone needs a couple of apps that are not available, then it becomes key issue. The availability of apps is important I can agree.

Posted from my trusted Passport
    06-11-16 01:03 PM
    "Most apps are useless..." to you.

Do you know why there are 500 TV channels, even though most people only watch a dozen channels? It's because everyone watches a different dozen channels than their neighbors watch. You may find those other channels useless, but your neighbor may think that your favorite channels are useless, and he may love channels that you have no use for.

It's the same with apps. There are about 1.6 billion smartphone users, and over 1 billion of them use apps like Google Maps, Facebook, and WhatsApp. Even if you find those apps unimportant, you are in the minority. But there are also lots of apps with much smaller userbases - apps you've never heard of and have no interest in - but that are super-important to other people. Satellite installers use specialize apps. So do car mechanics, medical doctors, painters, musicians, restaurant owners, etc. Apple and Google have huge app ecosystems because they serve not just you and people like you, but all kinds of other people who find apps to be very useful.

To say that "most apps are useless" is either naive, or just close-minded and condescending. If app ecosystems weren't important, BB10 might have survived, but in fact app ecosystems are important, and so BB10 did not. I know that upsets you, but it doesn't change the facts of the situation. Apps matter to the vast majority of smartphone buyers - and not just the apps they use today, but also knowing that if they find they have a need for an app tomorrow, or next month, or next year, they'll be able to find it in their app store and install it with a click of a virtual button. There are devices that don't even exist yet - but will - that will be important to a lot of people, and when those devices are released, it will be exactly as you said: "Download it from the App Store or Google Play." And that's exactly why BB10 (and Tizen, WebOS, Sailfish, Ubuntu, etc.) can't compete.
    06-11-16 02:20 PM
    OP, if using the mobile browser works for you, that's great...for you. Unfortunately, one of the many reasons for BB10's failure is that not everyone is willing to limit themselves or settle for using a browser for the things they want to do with their devices the way you've chosen to.
    jaydee5799 and Ronindan like this.
    06-11-16 02:22 PM
    You shouldn't project your smartphone use on everyone else. I know people who use snap chat as their main messaging app , but I have never used it on any device. Obviously apps are important the market has spoken .
    Elite1 and Ronindan like this.
    06-11-16 02:26 PM
    Personally I do almost everything via mobile browser.
    Posted via CB10
    Because, you have no other choice but to do so, or because the mobile browser experience is a better one? I'm willing to wager that when you are forced to move away from OS 10, you'll be using apps more and the mobile browser less.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    06-11-16 03:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    Of course.
    kvndoom likes this.
    06-11-16 03:19 PM
    OP very nice point. But if BlackBerry 10 needed only few good apps to run the BlackBerry World properly it would have been highly successful. But unfortunately this is not the case .

Blackberry Priv on Etisalat 4G Network
    Last edited by IndianTiwari; 06-11-16 at 05:38 PM.
    06-11-16 03:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    Is this Mike or Jim?
    06-11-16 03:33 PM
    can mods close this thread. as there are countless similar ones stretching back to the bbos era.
    I'd better ask mods to close most of the threads saying that BlackBerry is dead. This one is totally fine here.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-16 04:36 PM
    I'd better ask mods to close most of the threads saying that BlackBerry is dead. This one is totally fine here.

Posted via CB10
    So why don't you. There has been so many threads asking about the end of bb10 . When it is clear BB is shelving it, just like how they shelved BBOS.
    Last edited by Ronindan; 06-11-16 at 05:31 PM.
    06-11-16 04:40 PM
    This mentally is why BB10 failed.
    06-11-16 04:46 PM
    This mentally is why BB10 failed.
    Having a 0.2% global market share in smartphones, is a bigger factor I think than the sentiment of a fan forum.
    06-11-16 04:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    I remember reading threads like this when Symbian was on its way down, heck for a while I agreed until I jumped to Android in 2010.

The app makes far more sense in terms of both User Experience and Security. An app e.g. a banking app can dictate how much security the phone must have to run the app, this is true for many Exchange Email servers to. The app has better access to hardware and also much easier to maintain and a great income generator for many.

I'd be damned if my top end smartphone has to access a crappy mobi site.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    06-11-16 05:08 PM
    All Apps are useless..... except the ones I use.

Mods please close all threads.... except the ones I have an interest in.

I have spoken.

Via z10

Posted via CB10
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    06-11-16 05:10 PM
    I remember reading threads like this when Symbian was on its way down, heck for a while I agreed until I jumped to Android in 2010.

The app makes far more sense in terms of both User Experience and Security. An app e.g. a banking app can dictate how much security the phone must have to run the app, this is true for many Exchange Email servers to. The app has better access to hardware and also much easier to maintain and a great income generator for many.

I'd be damned if my top end smartphone has to access a crappy mobi site.
    Lol, I have had a an Android Banking app compromised, the institution pulled the app and investigated. So your SECURE APP ANALOGY is sadly lacking.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-16 05:11 PM
    Lol, I have had a an Android Banking app compromised, the institution pulled the app and investigated. So your SECURE APP ANALOGY is sadly lacking.

Posted via CB10
    Nope, my point stands. Your bank made crap app, its that simple. The tools are there, YOUR bank chose not to use them.
    06-11-16 05:13 PM
    All Apps are useless..... except the ones I use.

Mods please close all threads.... except the ones I have an interest in.

I have spoken.

Via z10

Posted via CB10
    All hail Jobe! LOL.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-11-16 05:51 PM
    Nope, my point stands. Your bank made crap app, its that simple. The tools are there, YOUR bank chose not to use them.
    Your point is mute!!!!

Posted via CB10
    06-11-16 05:54 PM
    Your point is mute!!!!
    You mean moot?

So no one said that 100% of all bank apps are 100% secure.

What he did say is that we face many more security challenges on websites than we do with apps. Just think of the crypto alone. We are so limited in what we can do cryptographically in the browser. It's HTTPS as implemented by that particular browser and little more than that.

In apps, we can implement any crypto we want, and we aren't bound by the particular browser the user happens to have. In addition, we have access to hardware secure elements where available. We can do things like out of band push notifications, etc.

Does this mean 100% perfection. Of course not, nothing ever is. But we trust the apps more than the websites for a reason.
    06-11-16 05:59 PM
    You mean moot?

So no one said that 100% of all bank apps are 100% secure.

What he did say is that we face many more security challenges on websites than we do with apps. Just think of the crypto alone. We are so limited in what we can do cryptographically in the browser. It's HTTPS as implemented by that particular browser and little more than that.

In apps, we can implement any crypto we want, and we aren't bound by the particular browser the user happens to have. In addition, we have access to hardware secure elements where available. We can do things like out of band push notifications, etc.

Does this mean 100% perfection. Of course not, nothing ever is. But we trust the apps more than the websites for a reason.
    No I mean mute! As for your other comments it's moot!

Moot :As an adjective, moot originally meant arguable or subject to debate. With this sense of moot, a moot point was something that was open to debate.

Mute : When someone says absolutely nothing and just looks at you in that way that you know they have really messed up. As a noun, mute is defined as, one who is incapable of speech. This usage, however, is generally considered offensive.
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackbrry fan; 06-11-16 at 06:35 PM.
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    06-11-16 06:02 PM
    All hail Jobe! LOL.
    Now by 'all' are you including the Mods, cuz it would really make my day if the Mod Squad started hailing me (and deleting the threads I have no interest in).

Posted via CB10
    06-11-16 08:04 PM
    Now by 'all' are you including the Mods, cuz it would really make my day if the Mod Squad started hailing me (and deleting the threads I have no interest in).

Posted via CB10
    Let's start small and work up to the mods.
    06-11-16 08:06 PM
    No I mean mute! As for your other comments it's moot!

Moot :As an adjective, moot originally meant arguable or subject to debate. With this sense of moot, a moot point was something that was open to debate.

Mute : When someone says absolutely nothing and just looks at you in that way that you know they have really messed up. As a noun, mute is defined as, one who is incapable of speech. This usage, however, is generally considered offensive.
    Posted via CB10
    This is moot, and you should mute.

*ME173X
    06-11-16 08:07 PM
27 12