I don't think Americans will be allowed to use BlackBerry EVER. If they are not in government, enterprise or part of the elite then sorry you will not be allowed. The media did a bang up job brainwashing the masses to repeat like a parrot what they were told to repeat. Sorry but it is true. They can't come out and tell the masses they are not allowed since people want what they can't have. Oh well enjoy your "freedom" in the US. LoL life is more interesting then fiction especially when people think what I just said is fiction .

Posted via CB10
    I've seen many dumb posts here in the past.

Guess if you've topped them all.
    LazyEvul, Raddin, JeepBB and 4 others like this.
    02-01-14 07:44 PM
    I don't want android. I prefer to pick my permissions. If an app can't run within the parameters I set then I will do without that app. I feel a bit better running an android ported app on my BlackBerry because it's sandboxed - but even then I'm careful of what I download.

Nobody cares about security until it bites them.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. Thank you!! You don't want to have just anyone all up in your medicine cabinet, wallet, purse, bank accounts, etc. So why would you want any app to have blanket access to the information on your phones. Not to mention the fact that you can encrypt your BlackBerry 10 device.

Letting apps run rampant on your phone, is like letting a virus run free on your computer. It can do whatever it wants. It simply should not have that kind of access without the owners permission. Period.

You don't buy computer software that has too much access to the wrong information, or resources.

Posted via CB10
    For the record, it has been possible to modify and revoke application permissions on Android devices for years now. Before BlackBerry 10 was even released in fact. I check and modify permissions as needed on anything that gets installed on my Android device and have for a while.
    02-01-14 10:35 PM
    For the record, it has been possible to modify and revoke application permissions on Android devices for years now. Before BlackBerry 10 was even released in fact. I check and modify permissions as needed on anything that gets installed on my Android device and have for a while.
    You misunderstood, what is being said (it's about side loading apk) .
    Permissions was around since BBOS, and yup android has them too.

But when you install a .apk/(.apk convert to .bar) to a bb10 device all permissions are selected by default and there is no way to de select them. Unless you know how to unpack edit and recompile the app.

Hence the permissions statement...

Posted via CB10
    cdnrower likes this.
    02-01-14 11:35 PM
    i was showing my sister my z10 today, she has an s3... she was complaining that she doesn't like the fact that when she installs an app it TELLS her that they are going to read your emails. and her texts and look at her web searches..mmm i said oh that is not on the blackberry, they just ask to use camera and link to bbm etc..
    02-02-14 01:49 AM
    i was showing my sister my z10 today, she has an s3... she was complaining that she doesn't like the fact that when she installs an app it TELLS her that they are going to read your emails. and her texts and look at her web searches..mmm i said oh that is not on the blackberry, they just ask to use camera and link to bbm etc..
    That's honestly not really relevant at all. It's all in how the Android app permission descriptions are written. Even if an app has no intention of reading your mail, if it taps that permission it HAS to say it potentially could. Long story short, NO ONE understands the permissions on any platform. They're not fine grain enough and people freak out.

Just like on BlackBerry 10 , the one where it says it can access your personal files. That permission is used on a TON of apps but most of them are to indicate that the app might save images and data to your device/sd card. The whole "app permissions" situation needs be reevaluated on every platform -- no one understands them and these days, everyone just thinks apps are gonna steal your soul.

Prime example of this happened only a few days ago - “Facebook can now read your text messages on Android” - except, not really. App developers have no way to change what you see on your device under permissions section and often those permissions outline the EXTREME possibility of what the permission allows for.

Morning News USA calling for BlackBerry to adopt Android-screen-shot-2014-02-02-4.16.02-am.jpg
    It's like me giving you the keys to my apt. to feed my cat while I'm away but someone warning me that you might rob me.
    02-02-14 02:05 AM
    Microsoft is doing bad? Hmm... Did realize that. The last thing that I saw were that revenue and profits were record highs and beat Wall Street and almost every product is growing (some, like Azure, more than doubled). Thank you for going against what everyone on the planet has been showing with these silly "facts" and explain the truth

Sent from my RM-821_eu_france_267 using Tapatalk
    Lmao. I think it's a sign of how eager some of you fanboys are to discredit my words that you have to make up things I didn't say.

Microsoft has had some significant stumbles in the consumer devices space. Surface isn't selling up to its potential, Windows Phone isn't selling very well at anything apart from the low end and the Xbox One has had a pretty rough past 6 months as far as PR goes. As a result, tech blogs have fun predicting doom and gloom for Microsoft until when the next earning report comes to shut them up. That was what I was alluding to.

In fact, you can and should take a lesson from this. The way to shut up negative critics isn't to make whiny threads on fansites. You prove them wrong by delivering solid results. If you all realized that this is largely BlackBerry's fault, then these topics will not exist.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    JeepBB, techvisor, kbz1960 and 1 others like this.
    02-02-14 04:23 AM
    Being from the USA and coming back to a z30 from my IPhone 5s and back to the BlackBerry world. I can see why the media here bashes the BlackBerry brand.

I have seen NOTHING from BlackBerry to indicate they are going to support the loyal users here in the USA for the long haul? I have been following the T Mobile BlackBerry forums and we still do not have the official 10.2.1 update yet.

Please don't pass the buck and blame the carriers, its just as much BlackBerry's fault for not supporting the BlackBerry 10 products here. That's why T Mobile no longer carries their products in the stores here anymore.

When I talked to the folks about why the BlackBerry 10 products where removed, their answer is to many returns on the z10 and customers complained about the lack of support from both BlackBerry and the carrier.

Without good product support, your dead in the water and this needs to be improved ASAP. I don't care how Apple, Samsung, HTC or anyone else does it. BlackBerry needs to take the lead and be better then the competition at this point in the game.

I have decided to stick with the brand because I love my z30 and the 10.2.1 update. But, I an a dinosaur here now and I feel isolated. I feel my carrier T Mobile has all but abandoned the BlackBerry brand here.

I shouldn't have to change providers to get the support for a product I paid top dollar for when I bought my z10 at the launch day last year and shouldn't have to go to Canada to buy my unlocked z30.

I do expect BlackBerry to also show they are here for the long haul and based on what I have seen here in the USA the last year has me wondering about the future and rightfully so.

Sent from my z30 on T Mobile USA
    I couldn't agree more... except maybe to add that BlackBerry has no right to complain when they've done absolutely nothing to market themselves in the US market (or anywhere for that matter) .

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    02-02-14 04:35 AM
    So your answer to an article rife with misinformation is to post a response that is rife with misinformation too?

BB10 is not the reason BlackBerry is still alive. How does that even make sense when BB10 phones are selling at an Abysmal rate?

Also, only someone in denial will insist the Z10 is only inferior in processor speed to the latest Android flagship phones as far as specs are concerned . Screen resolution, camera quality, battery size are all specs too.

Not sure why you're so quick to reach for the 'NSA' and 'big corporation conspiracy' card. Any company that is down gets picked on... Nothing sells like bad news. HTC gets a lot of bad press, Microsoft fanboys on Engadget and The verge are riled up on a weekly basis by editorials and proclamations predicting doom and gloom. It's a normal thing.

Turn a blind eye to it. When Chen manages to turn BlackBerry profitable, these articles will stop and they'll move on to someone else.

There are more negative articles written about Nintendo in the past few months. You think the NSA are closet PlayStation fanboys?

Seriously? Whether you agree or disagree with the response, the overall sentiment and every indication we have seen from the US market has been to expedite the demise of BlackBerry.

I support the guy for standing up and speaking out to these morons that think they know it all. This is what is lacking from the BlackBerry camp.

Is the NSA concerned? Absolutely. The increase in Enterprise services is testament to the faith that IT departments have in the security of BlackBerry.

Corporations don't like to be spied on.

And you are dead wrong, my friend...BB10 may not be the sole reason BlackBerry is still around but it is definitely part of it....poorly executed, maybe....a few stumbling blocks, for sure...but you can bet the new OS has proved the company is not irrelevent.

Keep an open mind, and don't be so negative.

Posted by my GINORMOUS Z30
    02-02-14 04:36 AM
    Why do we keep quoting/linking these articles here is beyond my understanding.
    There's somehow a pinch of masochism, while we know they are pretty much useless and the only person that may read them beyond the title is us, exasperated.
    So let it be, do not even react and let their page count in the tens instead of raising to thousands. When you reproduce them, you both generate traffic bus also, expose them to a much better visibility on search engines, because CrackBerry is very SEOed ...

We have to deal with that, answer in the comments of the article and stop linking them here.

Please understand that I'm only referring to "doom and gloom" articles or linkbaits, not to material that can raise an interesting debate.

edit: [generic answer] guys, don't turn it personal and avoid name calling. Thanks
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 02-02-14 at 09:42 AM. Reason: fixing typos
    02-02-14 06:46 AM
    Excuse me, but I think BlackBerry themselves had something to do with the lost market share here in the USA and not some media or NSA conspiracy BS??

The media didn't fail to deliver their products on time and fail to support the ones they currently had i.e. PlayBook is just one example.

I remember waiting forever to get something new from BlackBerry and it never came? Allot of folks here feel the same way and I am willing to give the company another chance, but I am an exception to the rule here.

If your not familiar with the word complacency you might want to look it and it clearly defines why BlackBerry is in their current situation.

I came back to BlackBerry and I am in for the long haul. As I said in my earlier post, I sure wish the folks up there in Waterloo would show the same loyalty to us BlackBerry users here in the USA.

Well put.

Ditto

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    02-02-14 08:03 AM
    Why do we keep quoting/linking these articles here is beyond my understanding.
    There's somehow a pinch of masochism, while we know they are pretty much useless and the only person that may read them beyond the title is us, exasperated.
    So let it be, do not even react and let their page count in the tens instead of raising to thousands. When you reproduce them, you both generate traffic bus also, expose them to a much better visibility on search engines, becaus CrackBerry is very SEO ...

We have to deal with that, answer in the comments of the article and stop linking them here.

Please understand that I'm only referring to "doom and gloom" articles or linkbaits, not to material that can raise an interesting debate.

edit: [generic answer] guys, don't turn it personal and avoid name calling. Thanks
    Agreed, as always. I would like to add, though, that any time somebody does quote one of these garbage pieces or otherwise suggests that BlackBerry should adopt Android, I want to throw up. What I need to do for what precious little is left of my own sanity is is to stop clicking on these threads.
    Superfly_FR and kbz1960 like this.
    02-02-14 08:57 AM
    Can you do it without rooting the android? I'd like to know how if that is the case.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 09:25 AM
    That's honestly not really relevant at all. It's all in how the Android app permission descriptions are written. Even if an app has no intention of reading your mail, if it taps that permission it HAS to say it potentially could. Long story short, NO ONE understands the permissions on any platform. They're not fine grain enough and people freak out.

Just like on BlackBerry 10 , the one where it says it can access your personal files. That permission is used on a TON of apps but most of them are to indicate that the app might save images and data to your device/sd card. The whole "app permissions" situation needs be reevaluated on every platform -- no one understands them and these days, everyone just thinks apps are gonna steal your soul.

Prime example of this happened only a few days ago - �Facebook can now read your text messages on Android� - except, not really. App developers have no way to change what you see on your device under permissions section and often those permissions outline the EXTREME possibility of what the permission allows for.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-02-02 at 4.16.02 AM.JPG 
Views:	857 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	244252
    It's like me giving you the keys to my apt. to feed my cat while I'm away but someone warning me that you might rob me.
    I agree that many apps need access to things that sound a lot more dire than they are - however I'm talking about flashlight apps that have access to contacts or device identifying information, or the fact that every game I download on an android seems to need to have the permission to start up when I start the tablet. I'd rather wait a few seconds for the game to start up when I want to play it instead of having it lag the tab every single time it starts on the off chance that it's going to get played.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 09:29 AM
    Lmao. I think it's a sign of how eager some of you fanboys are to discredit my words that you have to make up things I didn't say.

Microsoft has had some significant stumbles in the consumer devices space. Surface isn't selling up to its potential, Windows Phone isn't selling very well at anything apart from the low end and the Xbox One has had a pretty rough past 6 months as far as PR goes. As a result, tech blogs have fun predicting doom and gloom for Microsoft until when the next earning report comes to shut them up. That was what I was alluding to.

In fact, you can and should take a lesson from this. The way to shut up negative critics isn't to make whiny threads on fansites. You prove them wrong by delivering solid results. If you all realized that this is largely BlackBerry's fault, then these topics will not exist.

Fanboys exist on every platform, I'm a Windows Phone user but far from a fanboy.

I'll just say this, Windows Phone sales for Q4 2013 were up year on year 104% according to results published by ABI Research. If other websites want to paint that as negative then so be it but I call those solid results.
    JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    02-02-14 09:48 AM
    Excuse me, but I think BlackBerry themselves had something to do with the lost market share here in the USA and not some media or NSA conspiracy BS??

The media didn't fail to deliver their products on time and fail to support the ones they currently had i.e. PlayBook is just one example.

I remember waiting forever to get something new from BlackBerry and it never came? Allot of folks here feel the same way and I am willing to give the company another chance, but I am an exception to the rule here.

If your not familiar with the word complacency you might want to look it and it clearly defines why BlackBerry is in their current situation.

I came back to BlackBerry and I am in for the long haul. As I said in my earlier post, I sure wish the folks up there in Waterloo would show the same loyalty to us BlackBerry users here in the USA.

Have you seen the Samsung S4 fiasco? Why isn't the media sacrificing Samsung for the disaster S4? I bet you don't even know what is it right... Balckberry's main issue was they were slow to react to the iPhone and from there to going bankrupt without any dept as the media sold to the general public is just amusing to say the least. This shows how biased the media really is or unless you believe media conglomerates don't run their own corporative agendas Blackberry is doing a great job gaining ground but like a vessel you don't just turn the direction and suddenly there you got a 180 turn.
    02-02-14 10:38 AM
    I don't think Americans will be allowed to use BlackBerry EVER. If they are not in government, enterprise or part of the elite then sorry you will not be allowed. The media did a bang up job brainwashing the masses to repeat like a parrot what they were told to repeat. Sorry but it is true. They can't come out and tell the masses they are not allowed since people want what they can't have. Oh well enjoy your "freedom" in the US. LoL life is more interesting then fiction especially when people think what I just said is fiction .

Posted via CB10
    And what a coincidence, the DOD is about to go exclusive Blackberry. Right under everyone's nose. All one has to do is look back a few years ago when some company met and got exclusive contracts and protection from the DOD. It's always done right out in the open, so the whole world can see and don't really know what we're looking at.
    02-02-14 11:04 AM
    When an app is free in terms of $$$, you're paying for it with your data. I don't trust even lazily coded apps.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 11:45 AM
    No, native over Android.
    02-02-14 01:06 PM
    Morning News USA?

Never heard of it.

I don't think Americans will be allowed to use BlackBerry EVER. If they are not in government, enterprise or part of the elite then sorry you will not be allowed.
    Well somebody forgot to send me the memo, because last I checked ... hold on a minute ...

... yep, I'm an American, and not with the government, and ... wait just a minute ...

... uh yeah, that's a BlackBerry on my coffee table.
    donmateo and kbz1960 like this.
    02-02-14 01:11 PM
    I enjoyed reading this thread. Lol... just to put it out there.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.1925+1926 radio
    02-02-14 01:16 PM
    Fanboys exist on every platform, I'm a Windows Phone user but far from a fanboy.

I'll just say this, Windows Phone sales for Q4 2013 were up year on year 104% according to results published by ABI Research. If other websites want to paint that as negative then so be it but I call those solid results.
    Yeah, I'm a fan of Microsoft, funny enough...that growth in WP is solid, but it's also a bit shaky when you realize that the bulk of those sales came from the Lumia 520/521. At the high end, sales aren't too bright. People see that and come up with more doom and gloom news for MS.

I think it's the Surface performance and the poor handling of the Xbox One launch that makes these tech pundits so negative about them. Hopefully the new CEO does a better job of launching and delivering consumer devices.
    neo158, techvisor and kbz1960 like this.
    02-02-14 01:23 PM

"You fanboys"? What is that? Who exactly are you? Have you been gifted with some supreme knowledge and perspective and sent here by a divine authority to show those of us who are stupid enough to not share your point of view the way and the light? Because that's the perception when people make blanket statements like this. This is the kind of thing that puts otherwise peaceful people on the defensive and starts arguments where there otherwise need not be any. Maybe if you came across a little less authoritative and condescending, people wouldn't be so eager to discredit you and your words that may or may not be made up. Something maybe you can and should take a lesson from as well.

Just saying.
    Last edited by sleepngbear; 02-02-14 at 05:18 PM.
    02-02-14 01:58 PM
    Absurd how the media is being used to discrete Blackberry! Is it Google? MS? Apple? NSA? I don't know but money is being thrown behind the curtains.
    Only one man knows what's really going on, and he's mysteriously left the picture after his second coming of talking out about it. I am of course talking about:

02-02-14 04:30 PM

There are more negative articles written about Nintendo in the past few months. You think the NSA are closet PlayStation fanboys?
    This made me laugh out loud. And to use the common counter-argument here, Nintendo has 8 billion in cash, multiple product lines, no debt and killer developers and game IP. They actually have a lot more runway to turn the ship than BlackBerry does, IMO.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-02-14 05:13 PM
    if you want android you buy an android phone. If blackberry switches to android they get in line with the umpteen other companies trying to push android and getting nowhere the only company currently getting anywhere with android is samsung the rest are all hanging on for dear life. Blackberry is fine the way it is. They can still keep the blackberry OS and have some android apps as well. its the best of both worlds. Adopting android also makes the phone less secure. Did you hear about the android try at security. Samsung Knox. its like a leaky ship. To many holes to put your fingers in. Besides i dont need a bunch of stupid android games i like the productivity apps from blackberry and a few of the social apps from android the rest is a bunch of garbage anyway. Keep going Blackberry and just hammer all markets outside the US because they seem determined to kill the company off in the US anyway.
    As an American, I can say that in the U.S. LG is doing pretty good and HTC is not doing too bad...but not to great, either. All of the Verizon Droid phones do well, too. The iPhone is tops, though, which has been helped by the iPhone going to low-cost carriers here. I still see a lot of legacy BBOS phones, namely models of the Curve. That makes sense being the Curve line-up is the only BB line sold in the U.S. for $50 or less.

Outside of my own Z10, I have only seen one one other Z10 in "the wild" and have seen zero Q10s or Z30s outside of Verizon stores.
    02-02-14 06:28 PM
70 123