But it’s fun thinking the world is coming to an end because of Android. Don’t ruin it for everybody.
    Exactly the same problem with Apple and windows and and any other operating system on a smartphone
    09-12-19 02:54 AM
    It's pretty much a given that your carrier and OEM will have access to your IMEI number, they need it to run their services after all. I hate to say it but with the exception of people sharing EXIF data, the other examples you gave just aren't all that common.

Android Q is supposed to cut down on some of this sharing, I think iOS already does.
    Whilst your OEM needs the IMEI number to identify the equipment that they are servicing through updates etc.

Your carrier does not need the IMEI they only need the SIM.
    09-12-19 02:57 AM
    Whilst your OEM needs the IMEI number to identify the equipment that they are servicing through updates etc.

Your carrier does not need the IMEI they only need the SIM.
    Your carrier needs the IMEI to check compatibility, enable services like VoLTE, RCS, etc if they restrict it to phones bought from them and also to ensure the device hasn't been reported stolen/blacklisted.
    09-12-19 10:29 AM
    Your carrier needs the IMEI to check compatibility, enable services like VoLTE, RCS, etc if they restrict it to phones bought from them and also to ensure the device hasn't been reported stolen/blacklisted.
    They can access model identification for that in which case there is still no requirement for IMEI since the rest of the services are tied in to the SIM
    09-12-19 01:12 PM
    They can access model identification for that in which case there is still no requirement for IMEI since the rest of the services are tied in to the SIM
    The phone model isn't a unique identifier or readily available, a sim card can also be easily moved across phones so both of these things together still wouldn't be enough for these services to work.

IMEI numbers have also been in use since the early days of telecommunications, the SIM card on the other hand is relatively recent and constantly evolving. If you want phones to work across carriers, countries, etc it makes sense to use the tried and tested standard.
    09-13-19 12:13 AM
    Access to storage permission gives access to anything found in /misc/storage, which includes geotagged photos if that option is enabled in the camera app.
    I was wondering what that meant. I am still on BB10 and under 'device' 'misc' folder is an android folder which includes images shared via whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-19 08:18 AM
    I was wondering what that meant. I am still on BB10 and under 'device' 'misc' folder is an android folder which includes images shared via whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    All your Android apps will use that folder to store their data. While nothing is saved to the BB10 side, and Android apps can't alter anything saved in device folders, BB10 is still making user data visible to Android.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-20-19 07:36 PM
32 12