Oh - Hey - any suggestions for a screenshot utility?
    11-14-07 10:25 AM
    Oh - Hey - any suggestions for a screenshot utility?
    Here.

BBScreenshooter, needs a copy of javaloader.exe.
    11-14-07 11:29 AM
    BBScreen.exe seems to work better, doesn't need javaloader either.
    11-14-07 12:06 PM
    BBScreen.exe seems to work better, doesn't need javaloader either.
    So, uh, I downloaded that attached file to my media card (presumably it needs to run from windows, time to start up parallels). Say, though, it did run on a blackberry. Say, erm, I wanted to access a random file on the card.

Is there a file browser?
    11-14-07 01:06 PM
    Yes, those apps are for your PC

Alas, it is a MEDIA card, and will only show you media files in the designated folders. You cannot run applications from it.
    11-14-07 01:28 PM
    Hi Dieter,
    I don't have the technical know-how of Bla1ze (btw Bla1ze, never talked to you before, but you're pretty much my hero). But I always like to recommend things that I like. I know you only have a few days left with the berry but if you have a Facebook profile you should check out the Facebook app for blackberry. You can download the app ota by pointing your browser to m dot facebook dot com and signing in.

I'll make the assumption that you've downloaded google maps. Google maps was the first program I downloaded when I bought my berry. I love typing in a food I have a craving for and see what new restaurants it shows me. I've found some nice new places to go for dinner because of google maps. Just point your blackberry browser to www dot google dot com/gmm and download it directly if you haven't done so already. I know it's not berry specific but it's such a great app!

Enjoy the rest of the week with your berry.
    Sorry I had to post the url's that way, but I'm a noob in the forums and don't have enough posts for it to allow me to post links yet. Soon though :-D
    11-14-07 02:47 PM
    i would try to set up opera mini on that thing then youll never use the the bb browser
    11-14-07 03:11 PM
    Yes, those apps are for your PC

Alas, it is a MEDIA card, and will only show you media files in the designated folders. You cannot run applications from it.
    but can I browse it? use it to store files I could send on as attachments?

Seriously, I ripped the iPhone a new one because it lacked a user accessible file system in my email smackdown, am I going to have to do that here too?
    11-14-07 03:31 PM
    I'll make the assumption that you've downloaded google maps. Google maps was the first program I downloaded when I bought my berry. I love typing in a food I have a craving for and see what new restaurants it shows me. I've found some nice new places to go for dinner because of google maps. Just point your blackberry browser to www dot google dot com/gmm and download it directly if you haven't done so already. I know it's not berry specific but it's such a great app!
    The facebook app was preloaded, I actually *haven't* loaded gmm on there yet - probably because i'm having too much fun with telenav.

Tomdick - opera mini feels like it was *designed* to be used with a scrollball-blackberry. I love it.
    11-14-07 03:32 PM
    The file system is browsable to a certain extent, if your looking to store files onto the media card to say add as attachments to emails you can do that, as for running apps and such off the media card, this function is not possible.

to view the files off of the memory card, go to the media icon, highlight ANY of the media type files, press menu key and choose the "explore" option, your into the filesystem at that point.

to add an attachment to email, thats easy, just create an email, press menu key, and choose option "add attachment", your in the file system, wheter it be device memory or sd memory.

BBScreen.exe is a computer ran program, not a BB ran program.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 11-14-07 at 05:05 PM.
    11-14-07 04:37 PM
    Thanks, Bla1ze! I've learned my one thing new today. I'm done now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-07 05:55 PM
    lol No worries, Glad to help out
    11-14-07 06:04 PM
    The file system is browsable to a certain extent, if your looking to store files onto the media card to say add as attachments to emails you can do that, as for running apps and such off the media card, this function is not possible.

to view the files off of the memory card, go to the media icon, highlight ANY of the media type files, press menu key and choose the "explore" option, your into the filesystem at that point.

to add an attachment to email, thats easy, just create an email, press menu key, and choose option "add attachment", your in the file system, wheter it be device memory or sd memory.

BBScreen.exe is a computer ran program, not a BB ran program.
    @Bla1ze
    Awesome, thank you very much for the helpful tip on accessing the media card files.....,been looking for that......

@Dieter
    newbie to the BB world (5 years WinMo User PPC/Smartphones) and I can say pretty much that my first BB (8310) has won me over so far. Has addressed/handled most if not all of my day to day business needs (emails, sync w/Outlook view/edit Office Files) all while having an efficient/reliable/stable OS, (not bad as at making/receiving calls either ) ... although not as much freeware apps available compared to Windows Mobile available, but thats a different topic $$$........and as icing on the cake....has fairly decent multimedia capabilities as well....albeit not as robust as some 3rd party Windows Mobile offerings but definietly just as capable (encoding/playing various formats of videos/movies/music on the default Media Player).......I wish you were able to test the 8310 after the New Upcominig 4.3.1 OS has been released (adding a better visual experience, email enhancements as well as the highly desired ability to record/capture videos and audio...i'm sure there are more additions that i have missed...)

Hands-On With RIM's New OS 4.3.1 for the BlackBerry Curve & BlackBerry Pearl 8100 | CrackBerry.com

...as far as memory management (one of my initial main concerns as well)... I came accross an app specific for blackberries (MemoryUp-Mobile RAM Booster (Specially Designed for BlackBerry)
    by eMobiStudio Inc), comes w/a 14 day trial.....
    MemoryUp-Mobile RAM Booster (Specially Designed for BlackBerry) by eMobiStudio Inc - Handango BlackBerry Curve Memory Software

I also came across a File Manager (somewhat similar to the Default File Explorer on Windows Mobile, abilities to create folders, copy/move within directories as well as launch files, etc..)...and it's free...

eFile by DynoPlex Inc. - Handango BlackBerry Curve Other Software

although have yet to try either of these apps out.. (maybe someone here might be able to shed some light on these programs)... mean while enjoy the 8310 as I have only begun to scratch the surface with my BB experience... I feel once this Round Robin is over there will be a special place for a BB in you "gear" bag as well, who knows you might just "convert"!!!....how's that for wishful thinking......
    Last edited by kwues; 11-15-07 at 11:51 AM.
    11-15-07 11:43 AM
    Couple of other things to note.

You aren't going to have this for the Round Robin review but if you had BES service, Browser allows you to access corporate intranets that would otherwise be blocked by the firewall (can't do that with MediaNet). A nice feature when you need it and don't have your laptop. Can't do this with other push email systems like Good.

AFAIK, the OS is true premptive multitasking - not cooperative like POS. Menu->Switch Application shows which apps are currently running. To stop an app, do Menu->Exit since Menu->Close just "minimizes" it.

The BB Dimension Today theme is the closest thing to the POS Today screen if you are interested in that.
    11-15-07 01:25 PM
    kwues and tomvb2000 - thanks a ton for the info, will definitely be including that in the Final Look article.

It would go in the first look article.. but that's already up!

Smartphone Round Robin: First Thoughts on the BlackBerry 8310 - WMExperts
    11-15-07 03:36 PM
    I'm sorry maybe I'm naive in this part, but I really see no sense in installing ANOTHER application to clean the RAM on your device, that application uses RAM to clean your RAM, Sounds like it defeats the purpose for it, although the new 4.3 OS has a memory cleaner in it...if someone could further explain how this would function as advertised that would be great...I mean it's not acting like a "task manager" where it would kill off the running app thus that running app would no longer be using RAM, it just clears whatever RAM that app maybe using...while still leaving the app run.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 11-15-07 at 04:03 PM.
    11-15-07 03:59 PM
    experimented with eFile as well, just seems like a gateway to entice you to purchase all the other stuff they sell that will actually make efile work (ie...eOffice @ $99.95 a pop)
    11-15-07 04:21 PM
    $99 for office software, are the kidding? Someone tell me there are better options out there. yes, I am new, doing my research before getting a BB.
    11-16-07 09:22 AM
    doing my research before getting a BB.
    I love you, man.
    11-16-07 09:43 AM
    $99 for office software, are the kidding? Someone tell me there are better options out there. yes, I am new, doing my research before getting a BB.
    Forecast is 1Q08 for Docs2Go native Blackberry support per DataViz (search for 'blackberry'). That'll probably be a Pro version since the "Hands-On With RIM's New OS 4.3.1 for the BlackBerry Curve " post on crackberry.com indicates Doc2ToGo Standard Edition support in OS 4.3 (forecast for release by end of '07).
    11-16-07 11:49 AM
    The roundrobin has really opened my eyes to new bits and bobs...shift keying emails, getting to media files via Explore are cool new additions to my Crackberry knowledge. I also just learnt that presing T and B in browser takes me to the Top and Bottom of a page - duh! Sounds simplistic once u know, but until now I've been using fast-scroll I.e alt+scroll (o get to top and bottom I think I may have discovered a blindspot in the BB - if I want to send the Contact 'A' via sms to Contact 'B', I carnt do so. This I find strange since my old SonyEricson 750i could. And yes, u can attatch contact 'A''s details via an email, but there seems to be no sms opption. Enjoying the RoundRobin, keep it goin'!

11-17-07 02:18 AM
    hi,ive dont know if i should be putting this here but.....ive read the section on bbmessenger and pin,added a few people but it stills says pending after 2 days.is there something im missing out?im pretty clueless!!
    11-17-07 07:27 AM
    I really enjoyed your initial impressions Dieter. I think you were very fair to the BB world and that you got things pretty much dead-on right.

For me the BB is perfect. I don't really need to know how things work, I just need them to work and for me the BB just works.

Every so often I will think to myself "I wish there was an app that would let me do ____" - while there aren't nearly as many apps for BB as there is for Palm or Windows, more and more apps are being developed and, at least in my experience, there seem to be less problems with stability with 3rd party apps on BB as on some other devices.

Thank you again for a well-rounded article and enjoy your last days with the Curve!
    11-17-07 08:36 AM
    I learned a bit from this topic, so I'm glad I read it. I got a Curve 2 days ago and love it. I can't wait to download Opera Mini, but I wish I could do more between my Apple and Blackberry.
    11-17-07 09:23 PM
    Wap forums ftw!

...Is everything supposed to be centered or have I not figured out which browser I should be using for which situation yet?

So far, believe it or not, I think I am happiest with the att default theme - I moved everything onto the base level and hid the junk I didn't want.

I will say I wish I had just one more shortcut buttonm 1 for profiles, 1 for camera, and one to toggle between my different inboxes.

I preferred the default AT&T theme also, only put the most frequently used icons on the main page and hidden everything else
    11-23-07 02:53 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD