Hiya everybody!

Dieter here from WMExperts, and I'm going to break the cardinal rule of forum posting by asking some questions without doing a search for the answers first. It'll getcha a chance to enter to win with relatively little effort, I suppose.

So I have the 8310 and let me start by saying the hardware on this device is *sweet*. Great formfactor and weight - it's very quality.

Questions:

- I'm currently on hold with AT&T so I can set up BIS - I'll take another look at Kevin's excellent BB101 article on the subject - but I'm wondering if somebody can help me out a bit by explaining exactly what's different between accessing the internet-at-large via a BIS plan as opposed to a straight data plan. I'm asking because it seems like WMExperts.com rendered differently when I used BIS (from another SIM) than it does now when I haven't set up BIS yet on my own SIM. Basically, the difference between MEdia Net and "Browser."
    - It seems like the basic way to interact with the device is to hit the scrollball for a default "Open" action and to hit the Menu for "do other stuff" actions. Is that right?
    - So I guess there's this "Blackberry-only" "SMS/IM-Mishmash" called blackberry messenger. I'd love to use it with folks - PM me and I'll give you my pin. Is there any way to get BlackBerry messenger to talk to other IM services (specifically AIM)? If not - what's a good AIM client?
    - I set up gmail on this BIS just now - but it looks like it's gmail POP. Is there a way i can switch that to IMAP?
    - chime in on your favorite themes. I'm sticking with the default ATT one now.
    - There's a bunch of stuff i feel like I should be able to do quickly via hardware buttons. I'm assuming I can reassign the side buttons to "email" or "browser" or whatnot. I'll do that, I suppose. But is there a quick, button-based to switch profiles?
    - So, uh, can somebody give me a basic primer on how this BlackBerry manages memory / open programs? Is it a true multitasker like Windows Mobile? A hackjob like PalmOS. A mysterious "multitasks but you don't really get access to managing it" like the iPhone? I'm asking because I've had a couple of looong delays (with the browser) and I'm wondering if it's RAM-related.

More to come, I'm sure!

Official contest thread, of course
    11-13-07 09:26 AM
    ...and by the way, AT&T customer service has been 15 kinds of good to me lately, it's almost surreal. They were *great* at helping me set up BIS!
    11-13-07 09:27 AM
    Questions:

- I'm currently on hold with AT&T so I can set up BIS - I'll take another look at Kevin's excellent BB101 article on the subject - but I'm wondering if somebody can help me out a bit by explaining exactly what's different between accessing the internet-at-large via a BIS plan as opposed to a straight data plan. I'm asking because it seems like WMExperts.com rendered differently when I used BIS (from another SIM) than it does now when I haven't set up BIS yet on my own SIM. Basically, the difference between MEdia Net and "Browser."
    i'm not too sure but i think that they run on differant networks ...
    - It seems like the basic way to interact with the device is to hit the scrollball for a default "Open" action and to hit the Menu for "do other stuff" actions. Is that right?
    for the most part yes ... there are some "do other stuff" functions when you press the trackball in
    - So I guess there's this "Blackberry-only" "SMS/IM-Mishmash" called blackberry messenger. I'd love to use it with folks - PM me and I'll give you my pin. Is there any way to get BlackBerry messenger to talk to other IM services (specifically AIM)? If not - what's a good AIM client?
    just PMed you ... try JiveTalk ... its free for 30 days ... should have a link in my signature
    - I set up gmail on this BIS just now - but it looks like it's gmail POP. Is there a way i can switch that to IMAP?
    you can ... but you loose the PUSH email with gmail ... you'll still get your email but it will be polled
    i just installed an iPhone theme yesterday in honor of the round robin
    - There's a bunch of stuff i feel like I should be able to do quickly via hardware buttons. I'm assuming I can reassign the side buttons to "email" or "browser" or whatnot. I'll do that, I suppose. But is there a quick, button-based to switch profiles?
    yes ... options >> screen/keyboard >> right/left side convenience key
    - So, uh, can somebody give me a basic primer on how this BlackBerry manages memory / open programs? Is it a true multitasker like Windows Mobile? A hackjob like PalmOS. A mysterious "multitasks but you don't really get access to managing it" like the iPhone? I'm asking because I've had a couple of looong delays (with the browser) and I'm wondering if it's RAM-related.
    i'll let someone else explain that knows better
    More to come, I'm sure!
    keep 'em coming
    11-13-07 09:50 AM
    First off, you MUST dump that nastay AT&T theme! It's awful! I use the Dimension Zen theme, which leaves a nice neat row of 6 icons on the left side of your screen.

Second, click the Menu key on your home screen and create a new folder. Name it "Rubbish." Move all the yucko AT&T bric-a-brac (Shop MEdia, Shop Games, etc...) into this new Rubbish folder, then move it way down to the bottom row of your home screen. To move things, simply hilight the icon, hit the Menu key, and choose Move.

BlackBerry Messenger is a chat-style interface for direct PIN-2-PIN messaging. Every BlackBerry device has a unique PIN identifying it, kinda like a MAC address. PIN messaging sends a very compact data message directly from one device to the other via the RIM data network.
    BBM:
    • does NOT use SMS or MMS
    • does NOT incur any extra charges.
    • does NOT subtract from your SMS/MMS quota.
    • ONLY works from BlackBerry to BlackBerry. It cannot communicate with any other IM applications.

My wife and I chat on BBM all day every day. It's an easily-accessible community of BlackBerry users to get to know, too, since everyone who uses BBM has a love of the BlackBerry in common.

Hands-down, the best IM client for the BlackBerry is Beejive's JiveTalk. It supports AIM, Yahoo!, ICQ, Jabber, GoogleTalk, and MySpace IM (which itself is still in beta). , It also sends your messages over data, not SMS, has a very clean interface, supports Buddy Lists, and is well worth the $29.99 single-user, multi-device license cost. It was the first piece of software I purchased for my Curve, and I am really stingy when it comes to paying for apps. Trust me, download the 30-day trial. You won't regret it.

MEdiaNet is AT&T's crappy browser, full of fun links to spend even more $$$ on their bland mobile product offerings. Just hide it away in the Rubbish folder. Use the BlackBerry browser AND download Opera Mini. I use both, as each has it's strengths. I like the BBB for WAP pages, and Opera Mini for standard ones.

Gotta run, hope that helps for now. Welcome to The Crack!
    11-13-07 11:22 AM
    awesome, guys, thanks for the tips so far!

So: I'm looking at an email. I want to look at the next one. Do I really have to go back, scroll up, then select the next one?
    11-13-07 11:27 AM
    Search the forums for threads on keyboard shortcuts. There's a bunch. I think "N" for Next and "P" for Previous? I don't use those much in messages, but I use them to move through my pics a lot.

Ah, from the Home Screen, go to Help>Shortcuts>Message Shortcuts. There's a sample.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-07 11:34 AM
    I'm currently on hold with AT&T so I can set up BIS - I'll take another look at Kevin's excellent BB101 article on the subject - but I'm wondering if somebody can help me out a bit by explaining exactly what's different between accessing the internet-at-large via a BIS plan as opposed to a straight data plan. I'm asking because it seems like WMExperts.com rendered differently when I used BIS (from another SIM) than it does now when I haven't set up BIS yet on my own SIM. Basically, the difference between MEdia Net and "Browser."
    MEdia Net browser on BB is like the built in WAP browser on all AT&T devices, the "browser" is the BB built in HTML browser.

It seems like the basic way to interact with the device is to hit the scrollball for a default "Open" action and to hit the Menu for "do other stuff" actions. Is that right?
    Yup, to get inside any program, click trackball, all other functions will be controlled by the menu key.

So I guess there's this "Blackberry-only" "SMS/IM-Mishmash" called blackberry messenger. I'd love to use it with folks - PM me and I'll give you my pin. Is there any way to get BlackBerry messenger to talk to other IM services (specifically AIM)? If not - what's a good AIM client?
    Their is NO way for BB messenger to work with any other IM client on BB devices, the suggestion of jivetalk was awesome, however from you being a WinMob 6 user I know AT&T offers the Oz client avail for BB devices as well (assuming you use it on your tilt)

I set up gmail on this BIS just now - but it looks like it's gmail POP. Is there a way i can switch that to IMAP?
    Sure can. follow this

1. Enable IMAP in your Gmail account settings.
    2. Select the 'PersonalEMailSetUp' icon.
    3. Enter your Gmail username (including '@gmail.com') but leave the password field blank.
    4. Select 'Next.'
    5. Select 'I will provide the settings to add this email account' and then 'Next.'
    6. Select 'Internet Service Provider Email (POP/IMAP)' and then 'Next.'
    7. Select 'I will provide the settings to add this email account' and then 'Next.'
    8. Enter your Gmail username (including '@gmail.com') as the user name and your password.
    9. Enter 'imap.gmail.com' as the email server and select 'Next.'
    10. Select 'OK.'
    11. Below your newly added email address, select 'Edit.'
    12. Select 'Advanced Settings' at the bottom.
    13. Make sure that the port is set to '993' and 'Use SSL' is set to 'Yes.'
    14. Select 'Save.'

chime in on your favorite themes. I'm sticking with the default ATT one now
    Never was one for themes, but I have unlocked all the vendor themes and use the TIM zen, with my own personal wall paper, if you want a NICE AT&T theme visit here, it's an improved AT&T Theme, MUCH improved.

There's a bunch of stuff i feel like I should be able to do quickly via hardware buttons. I'm assuming I can reassign the side buttons to "email" or "browser" or whatnot. I'll do that, I suppose. But is there a quick, button-based to switch profiles?
    convenience keys are about it...options >> screen/keyboard >> right/left side convenience key as prev addressed, although I get the feeling you were looking for more

So, uh, can somebody give me a basic primer on how this BlackBerry manages memory / open programs? Is it a true multitasker like Windows Mobile? A hackjob like PalmOS. A mysterious "multitasks but you don't really get access to managing it" like the iPhone? I'm asking because I've had a couple of looong delays (with the browser) and I'm wondering if it's RAM-related.
    If your looking for a task manager, you won't find it, not in the way of WinMob anyways where you can kill the running programs so I guess your thought about it being like the iPhone falls under the correct statement...although these delays your seeing, I'd like to see more elaboration on those, to better help you out with that situation.

PS: I work for AT&T data support, so i'm glad your experience with them was great....I appreciate the fact more that, you made it public to share that they were great.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 11-13-07 at 12:33 PM.
    11-13-07 11:45 AM
    Hey Dieter,

I have to concur with my fellow Crackberryians that JiveTalk is the best. I don't know how I functioned without it now that I loaded it.

For GMail I just downloaded Gmail Mobile and it works great.

Just remember once you go crack you never go back.

Peace
    11-13-07 12:01 PM
    Never was one for themes, but I have unlocked all the vendor themes and use the TIM zen, with my own personal wall paper, if you want a NICE AT&T theme visit here, it's an improved AT&T Theme
    Where are we supposed to go for the improved AT&T Theme?!?!?!?! ...
    11-13-07 12:25 PM
    OTA link added, if you wish to view before install, visit here
    11-13-07 12:29 PM
    Hiya everybody!
    Hi!

For the most part, yes. You can use the keyboard shortcuts quite a bit as well.

Like someone else said, JiveTalk. Best $20 you'll ever spend on your BB.

GMail recently added free IMAP support. You have to enable it in your settings when logged into your gmail webmail.

About Gmail IMAP

Click on "Learn how to set up IMAP on other devices". Should help you out.

I love the Tiger OS theme found at on the BBeXtras homepage. One of the cleanest themes around.

As far as I can tell, the BB can multitask, but you don't manage memory the way you would in Windows Mobile.

There's an Application Switcher, that'll let you switch between all currently open programs, but for the most part when you exit an application, it quits, unless you specifically minimize it with the intent of coming back to the window later (usually you have to do this by using the Application Switcher to take you to the Home Screen as many programs don't have this option in the Menu).

You'll find that some programs appear to be always open, such as PTT, the phone, the Messages folder, Home Screen, etc. I think this is normal (at least it is on my device) and no matter how many times you select "close" for those programs, they always show up in the Application Switcher. I've also heard that some third-party apps are always running, and you should be careful with those as they eat up the processing power.

Hope my rambling could clarify things a bit.
    Last edited by chhyeeaa; 11-13-07 at 01:01 PM.
    11-13-07 12:50 PM
    convenience keys are about it...options >> screen/keyboard >> right/left side convenience key as prev addressed, although I get the feeling you were looking for more.
    What about the use of keyboard shortcuts within specific programs? I know they come in super-useful during webbrowsing!

pressing 3 will reload the page.
    pressing D will minimize the browser.
    pressing 0 will scroll down.
    pressing 8 will brings up a nifty page overview that allows you to scroll.
    etc.

You can also assign any letter key as a speed-dial key. I'm not sure if there's a way to assign programs to specific letter keys.
    11-13-07 12:55 PM
    awesome, guys, thanks for the tips so far!

So: I'm looking at an email. I want to look at the next one. Do I really have to go back, scroll up, then select the next one?
    Like someone said, "N" and "P" work as next(forward)/previous(backward) keys for messages, pictures, music, etc.
    11-13-07 12:57 PM
    Wap forums ftw!

...Is everything supposed to be centered or have I not figured out which browser I should be using for which situation yet?

So far, believe it or not, I think I am happiest with the att default theme - I moved everything onto the base level and hid the junk I didn't want.

I will say I wish I had just one more shortcut buttonm 1 for profiles, 1 for camera, and one to toggle between my different inboxes.

11-13-07 01:03 PM
    When I load the browser, it just seems to sit with a BlackBerry logo there for an eternity. If I hit the meni button, it seems to snap it back to normal life.

Happens if I open the browser directly or if I use the cb "app"

11-13-07 01:18 PM
    thanks for the advice on switching to IMAP on gmail. will definitely do that...
    ....as soon as I figure out how to kill the pop account...
    11-13-07 01:39 PM
    I will say I wish I had just one more shortcut buttonm 1 for profiles, 1 for camera, and one to toggle between my different inboxes.
    The right-side convenience key defaults to open the camera.

If you go into Options and turn Dial from Home Screen off, there's a host of other keyboard shortcuts. You can use "F" for Notification profiles, and each Inbox should have its own icon on the home screen. Move them to the top of the list.

"M" for Messages
    "U" for Calculator
    "L" for Calendar
    "A" for Address Book
    "B" for Browser

and so on.
    11-13-07 01:43 PM
    login to AT&T BIS, then click on the little trashcan with your email assoc. to it, and your POP account will be gone, then just follow the IMAP gmail process to set it up under IMAP...your browser issue may be due to a cache problem as well..go inside of browser press menu key then go to Cache Operations and dump all cache items that may be in there.
    11-13-07 02:04 PM
    Dieter, Your Berry is sounding a bit glitchy...what oh what did Mike and Jennifer do to it?! I say sabotage. Run to the store and pick yourself up a shiny new one.
    11-13-07 03:37 PM
    login to AT&T BIS, then click on the little trashcan with your email assoc. to it, and your POP account will be gone, then just follow the IMAP gmail process to set it up under IMAP...your browser issue may be due to a cache problem as well..go inside of browser press menu key then go to Cache Operations and dump all cache items that may be in there.
    GRR. It says I have to log in from the BB, not from the standard website. I can't seem to convince it that it should be looking at the IMAP instead of pop. Will keep plugging away at it.

Oh, and Opera Mini RAWKS
    Relletti likes this.
    11-13-07 04:05 PM
    hehehe I was thinking the same thing, but was waiting for a response on wheter or not cache fix was correcting some of the issues.
    11-13-07 04:08 PM
    GRR. It says I have to log in from the BB, not from the standard website. I can't seem to convince it that it should be looking at the IMAP instead of pop. Will keep plugging away at it.

Oh, and Opera Mini RAWKS
    Thats a feature of BIS 2.4, only AT&T Reps can correct it for you, essentially you need to have a username and password created for you, but if you PM/Email me I can assist.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 11-13-07 at 04:22 PM.
    11-13-07 04:09 PM
    ...Oh, and Opera Mini RAWKS
    It sure does!!
    11-13-07 05:43 PM
    A little pre-first-look fun:

RIM CEO Talks Smack about Windows Mobile - WMExperts

BRING IT!
    11-14-07 10:03 AM
    *gasp*

Gadget Drama?

11-14-07 10:14 AM