My apologies but I just had to get this one off my chest too...

So, I have 2 friends who live away from me, both at the end of their legacy device contracts and they are husband and wife. I spoke to the wife last week and she was about to upgrade with EE (the carrier) but I explained the £150 Z10 deal on at the minute with Carphone Warehouse UK + a SIM only plan and she thought that was great. They would go into the store last weekend and sort it out. 'Don't let the rep talk you out of it', I jokingly said...

Turned out this was no joke. But before people accuse me of fanboyism etc never mind the BB, they only need the communications basics, have no need for apps and here's the maths...

£150 Z10 + £18.00 24 month SIM only contract = £582
    The other phone (you know which one!) Free and £39.99 on 2 year contract (same calls, SMS, data) = £959.76
    Difference = £377.76

Yesterday I called the husband about other stuff and then said, 'I take it you didn't go to the store at the weekend or I would have had calls to help you set up the Z10'? Then came the inevitable...

'Ahhhh... well... we're going to move away from BlackBerry...'
    'Why?'
    'Well, we don't need all those features.'
    'What?'
    'Well, that BBM is available on all phones now, isn't it, that's what they told me?'
    'Basic messaging (couldn't be bothered to tell them about WP as I knew where they'd been headed) but not the rest (Voice/Video/Channels), but hang on, is that what the rep told you?'

We then had a 5 minute conversation about the maths and it started to dawn on him how much he would save but then 'Well, yeah, but we get a free upgrade anyway so we might as well go with what the rep said' (you know which phone)

Me: 'IT'S NOT FREE! YOU PAY FOR THE NEW PHONE IN THE CONTRACT!! YOU LOSE OVER £300!

'Ahhhh, I get you now', he said...

Today I spoke to the wife:

'Did your husband explain the phone thing?'
    'Yes, you were right. To be honest the rep just kept at us and I finally lost patience and I thought, it's only a phone for God's sake, whatever.'
    'But you didn't sign up for anything?'
    'No, but I did call EE and I can get the same SIM only plan for £17.00!'
    'Great! Even better! Get the phone from CW and the SIM from EE then!'
    'Well, I think that's what we'll do, but the EE rep on the phone told me that the Z10 had been discontinued and that it was being replaced by the Z30 in January.'
    'WHAT?? The Z30 has been out for a couple of months now! They're only saying that because CW are selling them cheap and they don't stock it anymore!'

What followed was a quick recap of the maths and the specs of the Z30 which confirmed that she didn't want a bigger phone and that the Z10 would fit both their needs perfectly.

But they'll still have to go back to the rep to get the Z10 so God knows what they'll walk out with...

Surely it shouldn't be this hard for someone to buy a BB Z10? Especially at this ridiculous price for a spanking piece of kit?

I really don't blame them at all, they're no phone geeks and in the UK we buy phones on contract and upgrade at the end, that's how it's always been. Someone at BlackBerry needs to sort their carrier management soon because who knows how many customers have been lost to this sort of carry on...
    12-04-13 05:58 PM
    Not unexpected, unfortunately.
    12-04-13 06:50 PM
    Ouch that was painful to read !

I've nearly given up on showing people how good BlackBerry10 is. It's an uphill battle when their default mode is to go for what everyone else has.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 06:59 PM
    Most people who aren't 'tech geeks' will end up with something other than a BlackBerry. It's just a sad fact that seems to ring true no matter what corner of the planet you're from. THIS is the biggest hurdle Mr Chen & BlackBerry face!

On another note... Our office held a seminar on using social media for our business (I didn't attend) and people told me the presenter was taking shots at BlackBerry as if to say you need to move on & embrace the technology available via..... iphones & ipads. Partly true and again, a hurdle BlackBerry need to overcome & get more apps on board that service specific businesses.

As far as an out of the box experience, BB10 is 2nd to none IMO, but the app gap is a real concern.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 07:41 PM
    Well said fmb8, and that's my experience as well. If you don't come across to the sales reps as educated on the subject of precisely what you want and why, they do even if in the most subtle ways try to talk you out of a BB. I've been thru this with Verizon in the past and Sprint in the present. It's ridiculous.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 07:48 PM
    Absolutely ridiculous... I can't believe some of these carrier reps.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 08:37 PM
    Wow. I would have lost it and F bombs would we left and right. Simple math. If it is cheaper, how can you go wrong. Wow

Sent from the best touch keyboard, the Z.
    12-04-13 11:33 PM
    Perhaps the answer lies with the reps commission or fanboyism or perhaps they just want to be like everyone else.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    12-05-13 12:18 AM
    I think the problem is that however much people say reps don't know this or that Joe Public sees them as the experts.

And who can blame them? They go in for a phone and most don't care which one, they just trust the rep to give them the one that's right for them.

Problem is that isn't usually what happens and the level of disinformation and retelling of rumour as fact is frightening and I'm sure it's not just BlackBerry (at least I hope not!)...

Poor training by management on sales technique and product knowledge or deliberate 'steering' to a more profitable device?

Feel It, Swipe It, Love It. BlackBerry Z10
    12-05-13 02:57 PM
    Yo pienso que los representantes de Blackberry a nivel mundial tienen que acercarse a los operadores, porque es en ellos que estan perdiendo ventas significativamente, en Honduras en un mall muy conocido habia una oficina solo para asuntos de Blackberry, ahora hasta la publicidad de blackberry quitaron, las promociones han desaparecido y han dejado de impulsar los nuevos dispositivos. Es necesario una intervenciůn al mas alto nivel.

I think that the representatives of Blackberry worldwide have to approach carriers, because it is in them that are losing significant sales, sample, in Honduras in a well known mall had an office only issues Blackberry, now through advertising blackberry were removed, promotions are gone and no longer promote the new devices. Intervention at the highest level necessary.
    12-05-13 03:15 PM
    If you want to talk about cheaper, why not encourage them to go Sim only and stick with their current phones? Nowt wrong with a legacy BB.
    12-05-13 03:20 PM
    If you want to talk about cheaper, why not encourage them to go Sim only and stick with their current phones? Nowt wrong with a legacy BB.
    Good call, I would but...

They?ve already left it 3 months since they were out of contract, the husband was waiting to see if 'BlackBerry were really going bust' (his words).

They want new phones. Nothing wrong with the old ones but the contract is up and it's spurred them in to new ones.

Oh, and they want 4G, which they can't get on the legacy device.

12-05-13 04:19 PM
    Good call, I would but...

They?ve already left it 3 months since they were out of contract, the husband was waiting to see if 'BlackBerry were really going bust' (his words).

They want new phones. Nothing wrong with the old ones but the contract is up and it's spurred them in to new ones.

Oh, and they want 4G, which they can't get on the legacy device.

Sounds like the z10 is exactly the way to go. Specially at the current price point. It's insane, even the 9900 isn't selling for 150 new.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 04:56 PM
    Oh my Gawd, that's a terrible story. I've heard it much too often.
    On a positive note, I got my Z30 yesterday.
    This morning I put a fresh load of 10.2.1.1055 on it and guided my co-worker through setup on it. He was using an iPhone 4 and was looking at upgrading. Luckily he's on the same carrier and same sim size. No need to unlock. So far today he loves it. Did a BBM video call etc.
    This experiment with him will result in another Z30 sale I'm sure.
    BBB, I am as disgusted and as frustrated as you are.
    :>(
    12-05-13 06:27 PM
    Oh my Gawd, that's a terrible story. I've heard it much too often.
    On a positive note, I got my Z30 yesterday.
    This morning I put a fresh load of 10.2.1.1055 on it and guided my co-worker through setup on it. He was using an iPhone 4 and was looking at upgrading. Luckily he's on the same carrier and same sim size. No need to unlock. So far today he loves it. Did a BBM video call etc.
    This experiment with him will result in another Z30 sale I'm sure.
    BBB, I am as disgusted and as frustrated as you are.
    :>(
    Great stuff!

And on another tiny positive I spoke to a colleague for whom I got a Z10 a week ago for work. Called him an hour ago to check how he's getting on and, guess what?

HE LOVES IT!!

And he has just stated that his personal HTC One will be ditched at the end of the contract for a Z30...
    LudwigvonKast likes this.
    12-06-13 05:19 AM
    Great stuff!

And on another tiny positive I spoke to a colleague for whom I got a Z10 a week ago for work. Called him an hour ago to check how he's getting on and, guess what?

HE LOVES IT!!

And he has just stated that his personal HTC One will be ditched at the end of the contract for a Z30...
    This is why BlackBerry needs to dump z10s into the enterprise space...that's the way word will get out that the new bb10 devices are awesome. People will use what they're told to at work but are harder to convince for their personal phone, especially given carrier bias, etc.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 06:42 AM
    Yes, certainly a painful read but I do believe there is light at the end of the tunnel. Dropping the price on the Z10 is key. Friends of mine who have switched, mainly because they are unwilling to fork out 700 dollars for an iPhone, are impressed and have no reservations.

Further, I have noticed a certain trend with my iPhone friends lately. There is an increasing defensiveness and the bravado is gone. The tide has started to change so time for BlackBerry to step to the plate with advertising.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 07:50 AM