Up to this statement you had me agreeing with you. However, it is clear you are ill-informed about open source software and security. The security by obscurity paradigm in closed source software has been shown to be a fool's delusion. Examining the source code in open source software does not give attackers any insight into breeching security if the software is designed with security in mind. In the case of Google Android we have the worst of closed source software because the core of Google Android is not publicly-accessible for examination. Google has perverted any notion of open source with Google Android OS. It is a damn vector for malware and data harvesting.
    Prob is, to the majority, Android without the Googlies is worthless, and Android as an OS on its own hasn't got the security or usability merits of others, with or without the ecosystem (~=app store access).

That's why Nokia X was scrapped, Amazon is doing so-so and BB10 didn't take off... :-(

�   Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)   �
    10-05-15 05:41 PM
    Prob is, to the majority, Android without the Googlies is worthless, and Android as an OS on its own hasn't got the security or usability merits of others, with or without the ecosystem (~=app store access).

That's why Nokia X was scrapped, Amazon is doing so-so and BB10 didn't take off... :-(

•   Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)   •
    I agree Android is merely the fly trap paper wrapped around an otherwise fairly secure Linux kernel. With SE-Linux the kernel can be hardened to military standards but I doubt Google took that route in its quest to data mine everything about their users. It is unfortunate BlackBerry OS 10 was not adopted by other smartphone manufacturers and then we could be free of Java apps. Worse still is BlackBerry's decision to adopt Google Android - I understand the business decision on BlackBerry management's part - and return to those damn Java apps via the Google App Store that I was sure we left in the dust with BlackBerry 7 - left Java apps in the dust since BlackBerry OS pre-10 never had access to Google App Store. I just wonder what this means for BlackBerry OS 10. Should I just bite the bullet and upgrade from BlackBerry Q5 to BlackBerry Priv?
    11-05-15 01:13 PM
  3. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    New for the fall season: John Chen makes firing employees fun! "You've been Chenned!" an exciting new reality show where CEO John Chen tells people a whole lot of nothing then when they have confidence in him he pops out with a hidden camera and says "You've been Chenned!!" to the delight of TV viewers everywhere.

What about the ruined families who are crying? "We want to offer value for the consumer, and we think adding some laughter at people's personal tragedy really helps the Chenned ex-employees see how fun life is with Chen in it!" says director Jeff Probst.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2639 / T-Mobile USA
    Um... great post. Thanks (eyes rolling).... didn't know so many expert CEO'S around here...

Posted via CB10
    11-05-15 01:59 PM
78 ... 234