BBWorld comments from a few other journalists :

Globe & Mail - pretty positive :

RIM’s Lazaridis shows off PlayBook upgrades, partners at BlackBerry World - The Globe and Mail

Computerworld - pretty fact-focused, but "ouch" that Tasks and Memos won't be in the first releases of native PIM Playbook apps :
    First look at BlackBerry PlayBook native email, PIM apps - research in motion, Phones, consumer electronics, Blackberry - Computerworld

Combine these with what I've seen before and it seems that the Playbook was indeed shipped incomplete but the foundation hardware/OS are pretty impressive.

Now we'll have to see if RIM can fill in the gaps quickly, with functional and stable apps. If they do, I'd bet the smooth multitasking, raw speed, smooth performance and great graphics, plus the Bridge capabilities as a truly unique capability, could well make their move into the tablet space turn out ok even though they may never fully catch up to Apple.

I think the real verdict will come this fall, combining the then-current state of the Playbook with what they release in phones. They've bought themselves a bit of time, at least with me. Having said that, it's "wait and see" time. I'm not buying a Playbook OR a phone until I see what they really deliver. But at least I'm not buying an iPhone or Android - and I had been actively considering an iPhone.

EDIT : Scr3w that - I'm still considering an iPhone. Storm 1, Storm 2 burned me too badly to remain a believer. Torch was/is "ok", but they took away OpenGL and I still have to battery pull/watch hourglasses too much. Having said that, I don't have my wallet out yet and I'm still keeping up on Berry news - c'mon RIM!

- R.
    Last edited by Rooster99; 05-03-11 at 08:11 PM.
    05-03-11 07:11 PM
    Screw it I'm buying a bold touch or maybe a bbtouch !!!!!!!!!!!!
    05-03-11 07:47 PM
    umm...they didn't say that the first native PIM apps won't include tasks and memos

they just said it wasn't ready to be shown off
    05-04-11 10:17 AM
    umm...they didn't say that the first native PIM apps won't include tasks and memos

they just said it wasn't ready to be shown off
    Exactly.....

"Notably missing from RIM's PlayBook native PIM apps demonstration were BlackBerry memos and tasks, though the company says both apps will be available this summer along with e-mail, contacts and calendar."
    05-04-11 11:42 AM
    I stand corrected.

- R.
    05-04-11 11:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD