Seems that while RIM and PB were spinning their wheels the evil iWhatever empire was cleaning their clock. Several analysts on CNBC said RIM is now only viable as a take over candidate. Apples ipad sales tripled and their stock price and market cap is soaring. It really is too bad. Today just might mark the beginning of the end, both companies headed in completely opposite directions I hope not.

News Headlines

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/07/...azines_fortune
    Last edited by OMGitworks; 07-19-11 at 07:07 PM.
    07-19-11 07:05 PM
    Are you to young to remember the days when Apple was on its last legs and taking handouts from larger tech companies?

It's how the tech industry works, it's a cycle.
    diegonei likes this.
    07-19-11 07:11 PM
    I still don't get the draw to ios, its so blahh. But I think its more ipaid analystic crap. Money talks and bulls*** walks.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    jesse_h and M.Rizk like this.
    07-19-11 07:11 PM
    Rumor has it the Microsoft is headed to Waterloo. Probably just tin foil hat internet stuff but it might make some sense for both companies. Wouldn't be good for Rim tho.

Palm wasn't a cycle, it was a death spiral.
    07-19-11 07:15 PM
    i am getting so tired of all of this doom and gloom.

cnbc is such crap with all of there 3 viewers.

put it to rest now, would ya

jeff
    07-19-11 07:18 PM
    Are you to young to remember the days when Apple was on its last legs and taking handouts from larger tech companies?

I remember that twice but I was to young to understand that. Apple was getting reemed by Microsoft, now they are stealing mediocresofts thunder. Apple died what mid 80's early 90's then resurged mid 90's then died until early 2000 then released its wonder child the the first generation iPod. As that progress they brought Mac back to life. Tbh I like Mac I've always liked Mac, could never afford Mac until now. Then I was to afraid to buy a mac, but this time next year I will own a Mac book pro mark my words unless I die or the world ends (mad Max/ book of elli end not day after tomorrow end).

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    07-19-11 07:19 PM

jeff
    Especially when these dumb dumbs on cnbc referred to the Playbook OS as ONX repeatedly. RIM is viable period.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-11 07:22 PM
    As much of a bb fan as I am, I have turned my mom, sister and aunt all on to iPhone. Why? Neither of them has a clue about technology and all want a smartphone. By far the easiest one to use is iPhone. I think this is what really separates them from others...their ease of use for non techy consumers.

07-19-11 07:27 PM

I don't know about "a cycle". In fact, I don't buy it.

With Apple... some argue they got lucky with the ipod then iphone. Regardless, it wasn't a cycle - it was innovation. That takes leadership and talent. Again... nothing to do with a cycle.

I'm not siding doom and gloom for RIM... but weird stuff is going on with them right now and they deserve all the criticism they are getting. Let's hope they snap out!
    07-19-11 07:49 PM

jeff
    Their*....
    diegonei likes this.
    07-19-11 07:52 PM
    I believe Rim will make it but they are going to take a financial beating on the way. I prefer the blackberry platform but until they come up to speed with my android device I will stay put!

K Bear likes this.
    07-19-11 08:06 PM
    But I think its more ipaid analystic crap. Money talks and bulls*** walks.
    Ah. So you think analysts are high on Apple ($7.3 billion quarterly profit) over RIM ($695 million quarterly profit, 1/10th of Apple) because they're paid? Yeah, that makes a ton of sense.
    Last edited by Economist101; 07-20-11 at 12:58 AM. Reason: typo
    psufan32 likes this.
    07-19-11 08:48 PM
    yep the apple is huge, BB in there own little way is the same. The clearest thing is that they are not the same company. apple win is not RIM's loss. RIM will be fine in its own market. witch is and will continue to grow. use it if you like or f off.
    07-19-11 09:03 PM
    They aren't growing tho, sure the numbers say they have growth but their international subscriber growth hasn't equated much money, a ton of those phones were all but given away as a quick route for cash and a huge number of those people use them as WiFi only devices without service. Hop onto to some foreign BlackBerry forums and you'll see it almost appears as tho most people don't even have a mobile plan, they bought a BlackBerry because it was dirt cheap. These people are mostly in poverished areas and won't ever be thinking about os7 or qnx, in fact, the 8330 is still rims largest selling phone. That isn't sustainable, it was a quick fix and those numbers won't matter for long. Notice how they brag about subscriber numbers when other mobile companies brag about device sales figures

1magine likes this.
    07-19-11 09:13 PM
    yep the apple is huge, BB in there own little way is the same. The clearest thing is that they are not the same company. apple win is not RIM's loss. RIM will be fine in its own market. witch is and will continue to grow. use it if you like or f off.
    RIM is not just a smaller version of Apple. Unfortunately they are headed in opposite directions. They are losing market share. Iphone just passed them. Not only are they losing market share but what they are selling are the lower end, less profitable phones. Their stock has lost more than 50% of its value this year while Apple is up over 25%. I have a 9650 and don't own a single Apple product (my wife and kids do) but RIM is running out of second chances. More than 86% of th4 fortune 500 are now either using or experimenting with the iphone or ipad. They are cutting into RIM's bread and butter. I hold RIM rallies and overcomes this but they need to do something and do it fast!
    1magine likes this.
    07-19-11 09:29 PM

jeff
    I think you should go to RIM and apply, you'd fit right in their marketing and PR departments. I think they also have an ostrich with their head in the sand department as well.
    scorpiodsu and FigureThisOut like this.
    07-19-11 09:32 PM
    RIM isn't dying, BIS is fine, BES is fine, people are using blackberries everywhere I am, even some of my neighbors. Carriers still offer blackberries.

M.Rizk likes this.
    07-20-11 12:49 AM
    RIM isn't dying, BIS is fine, BES is fine, people are using blackberries everywhere I am, even some of my neighbors. Carriers still offer blackberries.

Don't disagree...but they really need to deliver in the near future with their handsets. As said many times around here, the next 12 months are a very important time for the direction of RIM.

07-20-11 04:41 AM
    Apple just got lucky with the iPod. if they never took of I think Apple would just be a fruit.

I see more blackberries day to day than iPhones. I just think RIM need better marketing. I never see BlackBerry adverts on tv here in the UK, only time you get them are on sky Atlantic channel before certain HBO productions, even then its hard to tell its a bb advert.

iPhones have had their day, the only thing apple does now is yearly renewal of tech, but no new inovation. the touch screen phone has been done, and so have apps. there's nothing new to pull towards iPhones now.

rims biggest competator is android. not because its better, but because of the fan base. the open source nature allows for some amazing things, if rim allowed more home brewing then I think bb would dominate.
    07-20-11 06:28 AM
    I don't see many blackberries around here and if I do it company issued. RIM seems to be trying to please the corporate/government market and the consumer market and are failing miserably in the consumer market and losing their corporate market.
    07-20-11 06:50 AM
    RIM will likely end up a successful niche company. You don't have to be no. 1 to succeed -- or even no. 2. A lot will depend on the QNX phones being released next year. If they are decent, RIM will survive and do well, though it will never again be the leader in the smartphone market. If the phones tank, so likely will RIM. Or at least be bought out.
    07-20-11 07:13 AM

This reminds me of the one scene from the Naked Gun. Frank Drebin, standing in front of a fireworks store, after an explosion that lights all the fireworks, "Everything is fine here, move along please, nothing to see here."
    07-20-11 07:36 AM
    Apple just got lucky with the iPod. if they never took of I think Apple would just be a fruit.

I see more blackberries day to day than iPhones. I just think RIM need better marketing. I never see BlackBerry adverts on tv here in the UK, only time you get them are on sky Atlantic channel before certain HBO productions, even then its hard to tell its a bb advert.

iPhones have had their day, the only thing apple does now is yearly renewal of tech, but no new inovation. the touch screen phone has been done, and so have apps. there's nothing new to pull towards iPhones now.

rims biggest competator is android. not because its better, but because of the fan base. the open source nature allows for some amazing things, if rim allowed more home brewing then I think bb would dominate.
    I can't wait to see your opinion on blackberries!
    kevinnugent likes this.
    07-20-11 08:30 AM

One could argue that RIM got lucky with blackberry. Especially when their best years was when the only competition was Windows Mobile and Palm OS. When they real competition came blackberry folded like a lawn chair. And because YOU see more blackberries, you think that really means anything significant? No, seriously?

And you can argue all you want that Apple isn't innovative. But you obviously don't know what innovation is. Innovation is not the same as invention. Innovation is also taking existing technology and processes and using it in a new and different way. And whether you like it or not, Apple did that. I'm pretty sure with iOS, RIM would not have bought QNX. Without the iPad there would be no playbook. You should be thanking Apple and Google for actually pushing RIM to do something different and better because Blackberry OS isn't competition with garbage Palm OS and Windows Mobile 6 anymore.
    07-20-11 08:37 AM
    I'm so glad someone said this! I mean, what's Steve Jobs really done? If we exclude the Apple I and II, the Macintosh, the iPod, iPhone and iPad, and ignore the movies Pixar released while he owned it (Toy Story and Toy Story 2, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, etc), the guy seems like a total failure to me. He really should've stayed in school.

Suddenly I'm picturing you on an island, alone, spear-fishing and talking to a volleyball with a bloody handprint on it.

And yet people keep buying them! 20 million just this last quarter, even though it's now a year old! But you're right, there's nothing new to pull people towards iPhones now. Forget touchscreens; it's all about physical keyboards, because physical keyboards are the future. Count on it.
    Last edited by Economist101; 07-20-11 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Clarity
    07-20-11 08:40 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD