It seems as if every couple of weeks, when I dip into my movie collection on my phone (purchased through BBWorld), I'm forced to download the license in BBWorld before I can actually view it. Recently, I've tried to re-download a license for one that no longer was in BBWorld, which meant, I could not watch the movie. WTF? This leads to my next question. Since BBWorld will no longer offer videos effective July 21st, will I be able to continue to download licenses for those movies I technically own?

I realize BBWorld's limitations when it comes to movie purchases; almost as if they don't want you to buy movies there. But, for those movies I DID buy there, what happens? Am I hosed?

Just wondering if I've missed some info somewhere or if someone was knowledgable on the topic...
    07-18-14 08:21 AM
    Good question. I personally have never bought movies of BBworld. I have no idea what would happen when they cancel some of the BBWORLD services

Posted via CB10
    07-18-14 08:29 AM
    I can't speak for BB, but over the history of digital media, the norm has been that if you bought DRM-crippled media and the company stops supporting it, you lose your "investment." It's happened many times in the past and is sure to happen again.
    07-18-14 08:36 AM
    There have been a number of threads on this.

Yes the limitations of DRM protection, they way the Rovi store works, and they way they tell you that you only have a limited time to download movies (many of the free or early $99 movie were only 30 - 60 days).... you get hosed.

You can complain, and if you every bought any full prices movies I would suggest that you do!

I've never bought anything but the $.99 movies, and I just viewed them as rentals....

Really think Amazon is going to give us a better and more long term solution...
    07-18-14 08:53 AM
    This has been going on for long and weary. Many threads about it. One of the downsides of BlackBerry is that they seem not to be concerned that their customers get ripped off. Wither sale price or full price is immaterial. Customers paying to purchase and then having that purchase taken away is theft in my eyes plain and simple.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-18-14 09:06 AM
    My rule of thumb whenever I buy digital goods: If I intend to keep the goods as a part of my permanent digital collection, DRM is unacceptable, all the time. If I buy ones with DRM, I always consider them rentals, where I assume the publisher of said goods can revoke my access to the goods at any time. I bought quite a few of those $0.99 movies off BBW but I saw them as very cheap rentals.
    07-18-14 11:46 AM
    Customers paying to purchase and then having that purchase taken away is theft in my eyes plain and simple.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    While I agree with your feeling, you never really own the digital media you buy. You're perpetually renting it and sadly, they tell you outright that is the case and it can disappear at any point. Those tricky terms and conditions no one ever reads.
    07-18-14 11:58 AM
    Yea, you might be toast. Always best to view these purchases as rentals, and only get them for very low costs ($0.99 sales, etc.)
    07-18-14 12:15 PM
    Thanks for the feedback folks. I did search for the topic, and found some that didn't really answer the question I was asking. Luckily, I didn't put a lot of money into my purchases. Most were the .99 flicks. But, there were a couple of those I'd like to keep... I guess that I'm just hosed as I thought. And, no, I didn't read the terms and conditions, so I can't complain. They make those things so long and convoluted that the time I spent reading it would consume my few precious hours of 'movie time' ...

Bummer..
    07-18-14 12:24 PM
    What is really a shame is that most of us accept it....

Not sure Apple users would if a movie they bought six years ago didn't work.
    mornhavon likes this.
    07-18-14 01:30 PM
    I guess that's the advantage Apple has; building a phone around an existing ecosystem. BlackBerry needs to find something that works, and completely commit to it. This store swapping crap is for the birds.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 11:26 AM
    I used to rip dvd movies and store either the ISO or encoded them to mp4 to save space. All DRM free obviously. After a while I realized it was not worth it and they took up too much space and I deleted them. Finally sold off the physical dvds to free up corresponding physical space.

Nowadays I only rent movies, watch them then delete.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 11:35 AM