I do remember the great blackout of 2003 I did not have a berry yet probably an Nokia that would not connect the cell towers were jammed the only communication I had then was a old land line I still had in basement (wireless handsets would not work) a few years after that I bought my first BlackBerry Pearl and stayed with them for years what a pity they let the handset market slip away .
    Carjackd likes this.
    02-22-17 05:24 AM
    I do remember the great blackout of 2003 I did not have a berry yet probably an Nokia that would not connect the cell towers were jammed the only communication I had then was a old land line I still had in basement (wireless handsets would not work) a few years after that I bought my first BlackBerry Pearl and stayed with them for years what a pity they let the handset market slip away .
    Yep...I remember land lines would work but most were one cordless handsets around the house...without power they were useless
    02-22-17 07:23 AM
    I just can't imagine using any other device....my love of Blackberry began with a work issued curve in 2007...that sexy little work horse never let me down. I'm still in the same job most of my colleagues have switched to iphone or Android but me, currently have a AT&T passport I told my boss when my phone dies I will quit if I can't have another Blackberry. Our IT folks are iphone lovers....too funny they continually have issues not my passport. I've had maybe 3-4 curves, bold and a passport for work. Personal Bold, 9930, Z10, Z30, Unlocked Passport, and now a Dtek60. My all time favorite is the white Passport and 9930. Looking forward to the Mercury. Much prefer BB10 over Android.
    Carjackd likes this.
    02-22-17 06:57 PM
    My story,

It was 2009 when I got my blackberry curve 8330, my very first smart phone! At that time I was serving in the military. Coming from an LG chocolate, I was amazed at how much stuff that tiny little phone could do(pkb, check email, BBM, surf web, ect...). I got addicted to just using the full qwerty keyboard! It was very fun to use everyday. The most significant thing I count for my blackberry was the constant and reliable communication I was able to have with my family, peers, and friends. If you've ever seen the movie Top Gun, than you got a good idea of what my job was in the military... Just replace the fighter jets with helicopters and big surveillance planes haha. Anyway I was amazed that even when flying 1000s of feet in the air I was somehow still able to send txt messages to people, most notably my gf who would eventually become my wife! Literally whether I was on land, in the air or the sea I was always able to stay in contact with her which played a big part building our relationship. It kept me entertained when I had to do crappy work details for my squadron, and helped me keep in shape by acting as my mp3 player when I went on runs to train for my pst's. I never thought a phone could do so much and provide so much charm. I'll always be a blackberry supporter!
    Carjackd and NoH8inHollywood like this.
    02-24-17 03:10 PM
    Had the 9900 as my first BlackBerry device. Used it at work back in 2013. Yeah, I know. Quite late to the party. They first issued me a touchscreen BlackBerry device which was a pain to use. So I ended up buying that 9900 out of my own pocket. Wow, it really made me understand all the enthusiasm about the BlackBerry pkb. After I left that job a couple of years later, I couldn't resist and I hopped on to the Q10. Excellent pkb as usual. Late last year, I finally decided to get the Priv. I've had android Note series from Samsung mostly for media consumption, but I'd always use my BlackBerry for productive work like email and messaging.

Now with the clearer videos and mini reviews of the Mercury/KeyOne, I know I'll end up getting one maybe sometime next year. As long as there'll be BlackBerry pkb handsets, I'll stick to BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 11:34 PM
    Ya there is a really passion for those PKB' and as much as touch screens have progressed , there is no comparison to the accuracy of a PKB. I'm team KEYone
    03-15-17 10:43 AM
    Too bad that for many the outage of 2011 was much more recent and much more widespread (millions affected, compared to a few thousand in 2001).
    Still talking about it after all these years! If Whatsapp, or one of the others, went down, nobody would be talking about after just a few days. Just shows how legendary the BlackBerry name is.

BB, Still the One
    03-15-17 02:37 PM
    Still talking about it after all these years! If Whatsapp, or one of the others, went down, nobody would be talking about after just a few days. Just shows how legendary the BlackBerry name is.

BB, Still the One
    If WhatsApp went down on an Android or iOS phone... there are other options someone could switch too.

When BlackBerry's network went down... the smartphone just became a dumb phone. People, most who were using BlackBerry for business... were out of business.

But no doubt that BlackBerry was legendary back then.
    03-15-17 03:15 PM
    If WhatsApp went down on an Android or iOS phone... there are other options someone could switch too.

When BlackBerry's network went down... the smartphone just became a dumb phone. People, most who were using BlackBerry for business... were out of business.

But no doubt that BlackBerry was legendary back then.
    That's ridiculous. BlackBerry devices in 2011 did not become dumb phones without BBM. Other IM's, including Whatsapp, were available.
    Last edited by jagrlover; 03-15-17 at 09:16 PM.
    03-15-17 05:26 PM
    During the beginning of the blizzard in the NE, I had to drive 25 miles on a rural highway but my wife tracked me on her Z30 with BBM Glympse until I was safely home. Gotta love those BlackBerrys!

BB, Still the One
    Last edited by TCB on Z10; 03-15-17 at 10:10 PM.
    03-15-17 08:26 PM
    That's ridiculous. BlackBerry devices in 2011 did not become dumb phones without BBM. Other IM's, including Whatsapp, were available.
    During the outage... it was more than just BBM that was down. Pretty much all data was routed via the BlackBerry network, and WhatsApp uses data. That's not the case anymore.
    03-16-17 07:27 AM
    03-17-17 01:09 AM
38 12