I would like to upgrade to a newer BB. There are so many different models. If I don't use the internet at all on my phone which one would be best for me? I really know nothing about them. What's the diff in the storm and the curve and others? Thanks in advance for all advise.
    Last edited by 573armymom; 09-01-09 at 01:45 AM.
    09-01-09 01:36 AM
    I prefer the Curve 8310 but am looking closely at the 8900 Curve. The Bold is the class of the field but is bigger and probably more than you need. The Storm has it's appeal but in the end the touch screen is the only thing that makes it more interesting than the Curve. If you are planning on going with AT&T you have until the 6th before they start requiring the Data Plan ($30) to have a smart phone. If they make you get the Data Plan before then to get the rebate, just remember you can cancel it the next day according to the AT&T website. The other carriers have similar devices and similar service but already require the Data Plan.

One piece of advise...Don't let ANYONE tell you that just because you won't be using data that the BB is not for you. There is a lot more to the BB than the internet and email.
    09-01-09 02:04 AM
    ...If I don't use the internet at all on my phone which one would be best for me?...:
    If you're not using data, your best bet is to get an 8830 World Edition or 8330 Curve and have it flashed to MetroPCS or Cricket to go with one of their unlimited talk/text plans. Any other way, you're going to pay for BlackBerry services anyway.

Here's a comparison for you.
    09-01-09 02:46 AM
    thanks for the comparison. Very helpful.
    What is the data plan? I have 4 phones on my family plan. Will I have to get something for all or just mine? My daughter has a view (I think) the others are just reg. phones.
    09-01-09 03:00 AM
    What carrier are you on?

I'm going to have to disagree with barbwyr. If you aren't going to use internet at all, you might be better off looking at a full featured dumbphone with email services added on.

But then again, you might think you won't use internet, until you start using it. . Discover streaming music via Pandora, etc. and there is no going back...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-09 03:08 AM
    What carrier are you on?

I'm going to have to disagree with barbwyr. If you aren't going to use internet at all, you might be better off looking at a full featured dumbphone with email services added on.

But then again, you might think you won't use internet, until you start using it. . Discover streaming music via Pandora, etc. and there is no going back...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    To that I would ask if you can name one that has all the features of a BB that does not qualify as a smart phone. No disrespect intended here, I have just had my fill of people who say that a BB without a data plan is a waste. I spent a lot of time looking at different devices 2 years ago trying to find a device that would synch my contacts, calender and tasks with Outlook as well as have a full keyboard, camera, music player, etc. The device I boiled it down to was a BB. To this day I still see no device that can compete with the BB even without a data plan. I have converted my fair share of people to the BB and only 1 says it's more than she needs. She doesn't use any of the features beyond text and phone and yet she has still had this device longer than any other phone she has had.
    09-01-09 03:29 AM
    I am with cingular. I guess I am getting ready to renew my contract and upgrade. I know I won't use intranet because I need to keep my bill as low as poss. I have 4 phones and my bill is already well over $100.00! I DO want a good calender/day planner.
    09-01-09 03:37 AM
    Well....if you don't want to pay for a data plan, at this point your only option is a dumb phone. I just came from talking with my local rep and the only way you can get a BB between now and the 6th without getting stuck with the data plan is to get it today, cancel the data tomorrow and just take your chances that you will still get your rebate even though you canceled it before the rebate was processed. I was in looking to do an exception upgrade because I am not due til Jan. and the exception price is $445 but I would still have to get the data plan to get the $100 rebate. So...I guess it's unbranded and unlocked for me.
    09-01-09 07:15 PM
    If you don't use the data plan at all I wouldn't get a BB.

Most other phones work better on wifi only than a BB does.
    09-01-09 07:36 PM
    I think the full extent of the new AT&T policy will have to be seen after the 6th but as I reread the internal email, I noticed something I had missed. I know they are grandfathering in current smartphone users but it specifically says that current smart phone users will be "Exempt" from the new policy. It does not specify these users as not having a data plan currently. It refers to all NEW and Upgrades to smart phone users will be required to get a data plan. So...if they stick to what is written in the email, users who have a smart phone now and no plan will be able to upgrade to newer devices without having to add a plan because they are exempt from the new policy. It would appear that it is only those who have dumbphones and upgrade will be stuck. This also makes me think that if you purchase a BB today and after you get the rebate you will still be able to cancel your data plan as you were a smart phone user prior to the 6th of Sept.

Again, this complaicates the issues because we do not know the exact policy terms untill they release them on the 6th so it's kinda like Russian roullette with a data plan if you are trying to get a new BB but don't want the data plan....lol.
    09-01-09 07:45 PM
    Exempt from the new policy, unless you get a new phone under subsidized price...

I seriously think that's how it will go down, considering that's exactly what Sprint did with their old plans when they switched over. Yeah you can use the old setup, but they didn't let you activate new Sprint phones from a contract discounted price unless you upgraded the plan...
    09-01-09 07:57 PM
    Well....if you don't want to pay for a data plan, at this point your only option is a dumb phone. I just came from talking with my local rep and the only way you can get a BB between now and the 6th without getting stuck with the data plan is to get it today, cancel the data tomorrow and just take your chances that you will still get your rebate even though you canceled it before the rebate was processed....
    WRONG. Fortunately, AT&T is NOT the only carrier to ever exist. You should learn to read before posting.

If you're not using data, your best bet is to get an 8830 World Edition or 8330 Curve and have it flashed to MetroPCS or Cricket to go with one of their unlimited talk/text plans. Any other way, you're going to pay for BlackBerry services anyway.
    09-01-09 08:03 PM
    You said you're "not gonna use the internet". Does that mean you won't be using ANY services that are transfered through data? Such as: email, instant messaging, weather updates...
    09-01-09 08:15 PM
    This is what I thought at first but after I reread the email it does indidacte that "Existing Smartphone customers active prior to September 6, 2009 will be grandfathered and exempt from the new policy." This statement is very blanket and if this is included in the wording of the policy they can not enforce the new policy upon you as they have already Exempted you from it.
    09-01-09 08:37 PM
    WRONG. Fortunately, AT&T is NOT the only carrier to ever exist. You should learn to read before posting.
    Well excuuuuuse me. But as of the 6th there will be no major carriers or any worth a damn that do not require data for a BB.
    09-01-09 08:39 PM
    This is what I thought at first but after I reread the email it does indidacte that "Existing Smartphone customers active prior to September 6, 2009 will be grandfathered and exempt from the new policy." This statement is very blanket and if this is included in the wording of the policy they can not enforce the new policy upon you as they have already Exempted you from it.
    I dunno, even with that wording, you basically agree to new terms when you re-sign your contract.

That's why I'm seriously skeptical...
    09-01-09 08:54 PM
    I dunno, even with that wording, you basically agree to new terms when you re-sign your contract.

That's why I'm seriously skeptical...
    I know....it's got e in a twist too, but why mention existing smart phone users at all. I would have assumed that an upgrade or new activation would result in the new terms, however the line I mentioned about exempting exsisting users from the policy if incorperated in the policy would in fact give a user the right to refuse the data plan as they are "exempted" from said policy. OMG...Why can't they just announce these things like everyone else...lol. Of course it is all null anyway since what we have is a "leaked" document that does not detail the entire policy so yeah.
    09-01-09 09:07 PM
    No. I won't be using intranet at all. No email, weather or anything. I like the BB, but am I looking at the wrong phone? I need something I can keep my calendar in, make calls from and that's really about it. Once I get it I may do more, I don't know.
    09-02-09 01:50 AM
    No. I won't be using intranet at all. No email, weather or anything. I like the BB, but am I looking at the wrong phone? I need something I can keep my calendar in, make calls from and that's really about it. Once I get it I may do more, I don't know.
    If you are sticking with AT&T I would go to their website and check all the phone boxes except smart phones and compare what pops up. The Samsung magnet is very BBesque but is still a dumb phone. The problem is even though they say they have a calender the big question is how detailed is it and does it allow for notifications like the BB and does it synch with anything on your computer to allow you to update it on either device. The hard part is most in store devices are just dummies and you can't get a decent look at their functions and comparing them on the carrier site requires going to the manufactures site too to get better details. So...I guess what I am saying is "good luck"..lol
    09-02-09 02:06 AM
    What is a dumb phone? What is a smart phone? Is that a dumb question.
    09-02-09 02:46 AM
    LOL...And who actually decides where the line gets drawn between the 2. My old Motorolla V551 had all the same features as my Blackberry in fact a few more, but those same features on my BB are more detailed and can be synched with my computer. Perhaps that's the key...lol
    09-02-09 02:50 AM
    Well excuuuuuse me. But as of the 6th there will be no major carriers or any worth a damn that do not require data for a BB.
    Wait...are you trying to imply that AT&T is a "good" carrier?? BWAAHAHAHA!!! AT&T is, UNDOUBTEDLY, the WORST carrier EVER.

And ONCE AGAIN, READ BEFORE POSTING!! 3rd post in the thread, CAN'T MISS IT:

Here's a comparison for you.
    09-02-09 06:12 AM
    Depends on ur carrier. If you have Vzw I would get the Tour, you have to be a bit more tech savvy with the Storm.

If you're staying with AT&T I would suggest you get the Curve 8900.

If for some strange reason you switch to T-Slowbile I would definitely recommend the Curve 8520. Its an affordable entry-level BB.

Good luck and welcome to Crackberry.
    09-02-09 06:41 AM
    No carrier is the "worst carrier ever" for everyone in every location. I have been with AT&T for many years and have had both great service and great coverage.
    09-02-09 08:22 AM
    No carrier is the "worst carrier ever" for everyone in every location. I have been with AT&T for many years and have had both great service and great coverage.
    No, they really are the worst EVER. You might just be one of the 5% that is lucky.

@573armymom

I was browsing ebay today, came across this, and thought of you: MINT Blackberry 8130 Pearl Cricket GPS Blue Smartphone - eBay (item 120464784542 end time Sep-03-09 08:33:47 PDT)

Package that phone with this unlimited talk, text, pix plan: Wireless Cell Phone Plan | Cricket Wireless | $40 plan $40

...and you're good to go.
    09-02-09 05:01 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD