So in essence, MobileMe is like BIS but with push email, push contacts and push calendar...and it looks good. Its frustrating to be a BlackBerry owner when you see the pace of development with Apple.
    06-09-08 01:32 PM
    True that. What gets me is how they are compatible on the Mac and PC platforms, have amazing innovation and integration of handy applications.

The new iPhone with 8Gb BUILT IN, GPS, 3G and all of the other amazing features is only $199!!! That is truly amazing.

The fact that the music player alone is worth that much makes the deal great. There is 8Gb in the iPhone and the music player is far better than a BB.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Curve and I would not switch to a device with primarily a touch screen for input. I need a tactile QWERTY keypad, but the browsing and navigation and a lot of features on the iPhone beat BB by far. The Bold better be a solid phone or all the sales will be lost to the iPhone 2... and it better be CHEAP! Because Apple brought some major competition to the table this time
    06-09-08 02:06 PM
    Yeah, that price point is unbelievable. If the Bold even comes close to matching it, I will be amazed. Hopefully, it gains a lot of the features the iPhone has while keeping the core of the blackberry intact.

The bar has just been raised... hopefully RIM can reach it.
    06-09-08 02:10 PM
    Don't forget "push-like" photo sharing.

iPhone data plan = $20/mo
    MobileMe = $99 a YEAR
    Total on a monthly basis = $28.25

LESS than At&t's $30 BIS plan, and it includes more features....
    06-09-08 02:19 PM
    Don't forget "push-like" photo sharing.

iPhone data plan = $20/mo
    MobileMe = $99 a YEAR
    Total on a monthly basis = $28.25

LESS than At&t's $30 BIS plan, and it includes more features....
    Yea, RIM is really going to have to step up now. I will never switch to an iPhone because I do not like touch screens (only my iPod touch) but the new iPhone has so many nice features and it's cheap.
    06-09-08 02:22 PM
    Unless BB can really convince me by their Bold/Thunder, I think I may be getting an iPhone 2 next year when my current contract ends.
    06-09-08 02:27 PM
    Oh, one other thing. MobileMe is a web based service, like GMail, but its push features work with both Mac AND PC scheduling/mail applications. Use iCal and Mail? You're set. Use Outlook on your Windows machine? You're set too.

This really is a huge step forward. No longer needing to be attached to an Exchange server, or a BES, to receive anything past push mail will make many, many consumers, prosumers, and small business users very, very happy.
    06-09-08 02:45 PM
    I do plan on getting an IPhone in addition to keeping my Blackberry. Both have good applications, plus I just upgraded my berry to the curve, so have to wait
    06-09-08 02:46 PM
    Personally, I'm waiting for the Bold. The touchscreen on the iPhone will never satisfy me, and I'm ok with a less-rich browser (though from screenshots and rumors, it may be nearing the quality of the first gen iPhone browser). 3G is really the biggest draw, and seeing as both the Bold and iPhone will have it I'm sticking with the phone I know I will be pleased with.
    They have essentially created a $99 BES for everyone.
    They have essentially created a $99 BES for everyone.
    Exactly... With the very consumer friendly addition of photo syncing.
    06-09-08 02:48 PM
    Exactly... With the very consumer friendly addition of photo syncing.

You hit it on the head with just one word though....Consumer...that's the key here...RIM's bread and butter comes from Business users...this is a consumer market perk.

This... Apple - iPhone - Enterprise is what RIM should fear.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 06-09-08 at 02:55 PM.
    06-09-08 02:51 PM
    I've heard that Enterprise and MobileMe cannot work together though, is this valid? Almost like the phone must be business or personal, not both.
    06-09-08 03:02 PM
    So in essence, MobileMe is like BIS but with push email, push contacts and push calendar...and it looks good. Its frustrating to be a BlackBerry owner when you see the pace of development with Apple.
    Heck, just on the development side Apple kicks RIM's ****!
    I'm sorry to say this but if Apple comes out with a proper developers arena to support their iPhone....I'm jumping ship.

I mean, I love my blackberry but if I can write my own apps without having to pay 100 dollars AND deal with a company that won't loosen the chains on their API scripting calls...I'm heading for the next ship.

That Android OS by google looks much more promising than RIM as well for developers.

Dm
    06-09-08 03:09 PM
    I've heard that Enterprise and MobileMe cannot work together though, is this valid? Almost like the phone must be business or personal, not both.
    That is how I took it as well. I think they are doing it like this because they probably don't see a lot of people needing both. MobileMe is definitely designed for the consumer and possibly the very small business.

I truly believe they are planning for the majority of Exchange users to be receiving the devices from their companies, and many companies don't allow for personal email and the likes on company provided devices. I know mine doesn't...
    06-09-08 03:10 PM
    Oh, and another thing about the next version of the iPhone...

What if the iPhone isn't limited to AT&T??!!

Dm
    06-09-08 03:13 PM
    Seeing as how T-Mobile, the biggest GSM competitor to AT&T in the US doesn't even have 3G service, I don't think it's that big of a deal...

The iPhone is going to over 70 countries though, so chances are it will have many different carriers offering it.
    06-09-08 03:15 PM
    New iphone looking very consumer friendly. I can't see the touchscreen being useable for a business oerson though. But on consumer end looking quite nice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-08 03:24 PM
    New rumors are now pointing to the iPhone 3G's data plan being $30/mo. I have never seen a data plan take a price hike simply for having 3G though, so I take it with a grain of salt until it actually happens.

If it does, it will suck a bit...
    06-09-08 04:09 PM
    I'm willing to bet that this service will become available for other phones pretty soon. Verizon just announced a consumer Microsoft exchange service. for $120 annually. I and expect RIM to offer similar functionality to it BIS service soon. They've already got the infrastructure adding the software shouldn't take much.

Then there are 3rd parties like Google who will be offering similar web based options for every platform. Dashwire comes to mind. They do this for Windows mobile devices now (sans calendar sync, but support for other devices is coming).
    06-09-08 04:53 PM
    There are no 3g iphone special at&t plans, 2g still $20 with 200 text. Data is $30 unlimited + $5 sms.

Also no jailbreak. Phone is activated in store, not online.

Gizmodo
    06-09-08 05:16 PM
    There are no 3g iphone special at&t plans, 2g still $20 with 200 text. Data is $30 unlimited + $5 sms.

Also no jailbreak. Phone is activated in store, not online.

Gizmodo
    Your link scares me a bit...

1. If At&t is now responsible for the activation, and they no longer have a profit sharing agreement with Apple, they could potentially bog the thing down with their branded crapware. I don't think Apple will go for it, but I never would have expected to read what I just read.

2. I doubt the paying for firmware updates thing will come to fruition. I can't imagine Apple will give up all control of the device, and seeing as iTunes and the App Store will be the one and only location(s) for syncing/app purchasing, I am sure they will still handle firmware updates the same way. At least I hope it turns out this way, because if At&t is largely responsible for firmware updates, the easy to use and steady stream of them that iPhone owners currently enjoy may all but vanish...

Hmm...
    06-09-08 06:08 PM
    Although the iPhone on-screen keyboard is a drawback in my books... the overall navigation of the iPhone using multi-touch is far superior to anything a trackball can ever or will ever do. For that sole reason, browsing on the iPhone is more enjoyable.

RIM will also never be able to touch the features of iPhone in the multimedia department (meaning the iPod side of the iPhone)

The only thing that the BlackBerry has is a little bit of customization now, the ability to load free themes and ring tones. I am not sure if you are capable of this with the iPhone. haha And the QWERTY keyboard is nice, I cannot type for crap on that touch screen.
    06-09-08 06:29 PM
    Seeing as how T-Mobile, the biggest GSM competitor to AT&T in the US doesn't even have 3G service, I don't think it's that big of a deal...
    Small correction. Tmo just began rolling out 3G. AFAIK it's been available in NY since May 1st, and they expect to add 20 additional markets by years end. I know it's not much.
    06-09-08 11:18 PM
    You hit it on the head with just one word though....Consumer...that's the key here...RIM's bread and butter comes from Business users...this is a consumer market perk.
    Now iAbsolutely hate the iPhone, so it's not often that you will see me defend it. However, just because a consumer can figure it out doesn't mean that it's not suited for enterprise applications. If there's one thing that I DO agree with Apple about, this is it. The only requisite here security and administration, aside from that, isn't usability a GOOD thing?
    06-09-08 11:23 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD