Hi Crackberry fans !!!

Ive been thinking about what MOBILE COMPUTING could actually mean in practice since the BB CEO mentioned it and i am interested to hear how other people interpret it as and what ideas they have. And im no tech expert so any mistakes please overlook or correct :-)

Im in sales and so i spend a lot of time the on the road, so it makes a lot of sense to me at this point and all the computing power that i can have with me is important. I was thinking on the following possibilities, and also using and building on the idea of the cell phone as the "base" of it all. Assuming that the actual cell has top top specs in terms of hardware, and also assuming that the connectivity between devices is EXTREMELY fast and smooth (Wi-Fi direct - ac, miracast, etc. etc.) we could actually have some interesting situations and more cost effective too (i assume that this idea is to cut some costs on hardware, etc).

I imagine me having my phone in my pocket for eg and ....

1) using my beautiful, shiny dummy tablet seamlessly for the work (and play) that requires bigger screens, showing catalogs, e-mails, photos, surfing net, etc. etc

2) If i needed decent high quality pictures I could also have a high resolution camera with all the good stuff a proper camera has, zoom, 20+MP, etc. etc. directly sending the photos i take to the phone either by prompting or automatically and then being able to send or edit them on my tablet straight away without having to download normally at home, etc.etc or just send as is or whatever ...

i mean, these are just 2 ways that mobile computing can work, not even talking about the car we drive ....

Im sure there are plenty of ideas out there. Obviously all this is to make life more practical ....

SHOOT IDEAS PPL !!!!
    06-05-13 12:52 PM
    My mind always flashes back to the Atrix and it's laptop dock:

How does the Motorola Atrix 4G Lapdock compare with a laptop? | Crave - CNET

In the longrun, it wasn't very well-received.

I also remember a prototype of a tablet where you could insert a smartphone and have the tablet run the phone, have access to the phone's files and features, etc. I can't remember who the manufacturer was, but AFAIK that product never came to light.

From what I understand, mobile computing basically means you can share, access, and modify your information using any screen you have available. I, too, am looking forward to more clarification and how Thorsten will ensure that his vision of mobile computing won't fizzle like the previous ideas I mentioned.
    06-05-13 02:06 PM
    I was under the impression that thorsten was going to talk about mobile computing much more at the Orlando conference. I was hoping for a mobile dock that would out put to a standard monitor and input with a regular keyboard and mouse. Also if the dock could print to printers and read usb devices that would be my idea of mobile computing!
    06-05-13 04:59 PM

Im sure there are plenty of ideas out there. Obviously all this is to make life more practical ....

SHOOT IDEAS PPL !!!!

Here's something to spark the imagination.

06-05-13 06:27 PM
    Rushing to catch a flight I grab my phone from it's dock and head for the door, hail a cab from the elevator from an app on the phone. While riding in the cab I dock wirelessly to a cheap monitor and keyboard and continue working on my presentation and handling some emails, and any other distractions I sometime get caught up in. I video call home and talk to the kids and wife. I NFC payment for the cab, head into the airport and as I do my phone knows where I am an gets my boarding pass ready and directs me through to my gate. Settling in on the plane I again dock to a monitor and keyboard and keep working.

Posted via CB10
    fkornre and pantlesspenguin like this.
    06-05-13 06:52 PM