In keeping with some of the rumours in regards to EOL for Silverlight, MLS has recently revamped their paid live streaming site to use flash instead of the Silverlight format used previously.

Match Day Live Rebrands as MLS Live, Ditches Silverlight - Stumptown Footy

I'm not sure if anyone is a fan of the MLS, or football(soccer) in general, but for me this is HUGE. I am going to enjoy watching HD streams on my big screen, controlling it all with my 9900.

Go Whitecaps!
    Ivan604 and Thunderbuck like this.
    02-28-12 02:48 PM
    Go Impact!!

Let's hope Bell TV Online does the same!!
    pcguy514 likes this.
    02-28-12 06:50 PM
    Win for MLS!!

Ten char
    02-28-12 06:53 PM
    Aaaaand a convincing win for the Whitecaps.

Besids rubbing it in, I wanted to report back now that the season started and I actually got to test drive the site.

It worked absolutely beautifully. I was reading some of the supporters forums where they were having trouble with google chrome and also their ipad apps for the site. Which is amazing because this baby ran it without a hitch.

It might not be something that wow's you all the time, but 'full web experience' is definitely a differentiator.
    03-13-12 12:58 AM
    Seems Flash isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
    03-13-12 01:10 AM
    03-13-12 01:40 AM
    NO its not. Never was. Despite the HTML5 is the future rah, rahing. The truth is that virtually all of the media on the www is coded in flash. Its compression ability, and simplicity, especially for video is still not nearly matched by HTML5. The scary rumor is that there are some insiders claiming that BB10 is now abandoning Flash development. No flash would be a deathknell for RIMM.
    03-13-12 11:43 AM
    I noticed this too. It is nice to finally be able to watch the highlights and interviews on the MLS site from the PB.
    PB hooked up to the TV streaming MLS using bridge remote =

Go TFC!
    dusdal likes this.
    03-13-12 12:18 PM
    NO its not. Never was. Despite the HTML5 is the future rah, rahing. The truth is that virtually all of the media on the www is coded in flash. Its compression ability, and simplicity, especially for video is still not nearly matched by HTML5. The scary rumor is that there are some insiders claiming that BB10 is now abandoning Flash development. No flash would be a deathknell for RIMM.
    Umm. Actually very little video is encoded in Flash anymore. The vast majority of Flash video is H.264 now.

What Flash does is Largely provides a player. HTML5 would make it such that all a web designer would need to do is put a video tag around their video link instead of embedding flash.

That being said, Flash will be around in the foreseeable future to allow protected and DRM'ed video. So it probably isn't going anywhere yet. But RIM may still struggle because Adobe is abandoning Flash development on mobile devices. I am not sure RIM (or really anyone, for that matter, coz Adobe themselves gave up) has the engineering resources to keep Flash chugging on mobile all on their own.
    03-13-12 12:30 PM
    Maybe its just me. NPR, National Geographic, NASA, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, MSNBC, PBS, Nickelodean, CNN, BBC, MLB, NBA, NFL and ESPN all seem to be flash encoded.

And Youtube - which as far as I know is the largest collection of on-line media available on the web.

Perhaps it's just the flash player opening the content? Becuase it seems to me that none of this content is available without a Flash player.
    03-13-12 12:37 PM
    Worth noting that MLS Live also works like a champ on the Z10. I just watched some replays of old matches as a test. No missed WhitecapsFC matches this year.

It prompts you to enable flash and then we watch Darren Mattocks score 20+ goals this season.
    02-08-13 09:51 AM
    I noticed this too. It is nice to finally be able to watch the highlights and interviews on the MLS site from the PB.
    PB hooked up to the TV streaming MLS using bridge remote =

Go TFC!
    Looking forward to seeing your refreshed club at BC Place on March 2nd.
    Dr.Deebs likes this.
    02-08-13 09:52 AM
    Poor TFC you fans deserve better. Hopefully you get that this year.

Go Whitecaps.
    dusdal and Dr.Deebs like this.
    02-08-13 09:54 AM
    Adobe stopped developing Flash for mobile over one year ago. Who in their right mind would create a Flash-based website knowing that the vast majority of the hundreds of millions mobile devices in the field would not be able to access it?
    02-08-13 10:52 AM
    Adobe ditches Flash support for mobiles, but Blackberry seems to be doing a decent job with flash on ITS mobile devices (not played with the Z10 + flash yet though).

Flash on the Playbook works great for me, I stream a lot of tv shows from sites that use Flash with the tablet hooked to my TV, and like others use the 9900 as a remote, and the COOLEST thing (small, but cool) thing was, whilst I was watching a show on the TV, a message pops up no my TV... [incoming call], and everyone was like wtf how cool is that, so I casually answer the call.

^ Its not often Blackberry makes you look "cool"
    JR A likes this.
    02-08-13 03:21 PM
    How anybody with a knowledge of MS history could have steered their company down the Silverlight path is beyond me. And this includes many senior execs.
    02-08-13 03:31 PM
    I just upgraded flash on my laptop to 11.5. This thread is almost one year old now and I remember at that time there was a lot of people repeating Jobs' declaration that flash would die. Theres definitely a joke I could make there but its in poor taste.
    02-08-13 05:00 PM
    I just upgraded flash on my laptop to 11.5. This thread is almost one year old now and I remember at that time there was a lot of people repeating Jobs' declaration that flash would die. Theres definitely a joke I could make there but its in poor taste.
    *ouch* That's low
    02-08-13 06:13 PM
    02-08-13 06:44 PM
    Great news! (From an LA Galaxy season ticket holder.)
    02-08-13 07:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD